Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    22B Offline OP
    OP Offline

P
    P
    I thought most research had come to the conclsion it was bunkum. I almost said so when he claimed that the senior school with its modern no desk think would suit his kinestetic learning style. The fact he can't sit still is probably not related to his learning style just his age and physicallity. I would actually be very surprised if his preferred method of learning was by doing rather than reading like the rest of the family.

Z
    Z
    First off, the blog winds up to a selling point for their curriculum product.

I haven't seen any research that shows that learning styles are meaningless. I did read a summary of a good swath of the literature that judged that there was a ton of poorly designed research surrounding the topic.

In fact a simple thought exercise shows that some kids do have different needs for modes of instruction. A blind child will do poorly in a class that relies on visuals and charts. So, variations of loss of senses bounds things. Mix in various levels of sensory processing disorders and the impact of mode variations becomes larger. Now toss in the other side of things, are there some people who can look at a chart and understand it significantly more quickly than others?

Now wander into the extreme ranges that most of us here are dealing with and you can reason through limits of different presentation modes. For myself, lectures are paced way too slowly in general to the point that my thoughts race out ahead with a chance that some key bit of info is missed due to inattention. But we rarely show up as more than noise in studies.

L
    L
    I don't have a strong opinion on differing learning styles, though I tend to think there's some merit in it.

However, this post seems to me to say, "There's no such thing as differing learning styles. In fact, everyone learns best by approaching things from many different angles. Fortunately, this is exactly what our product does. It's perfect for everyone."

Val Offline
    From what I've found, there isn't really any solid research supporting the existence of learning styles, but there is solid research refuting them. It is true that plenty of people self-report different learning styles, but nothing has shown that their beliefs have a basis in fact or biology.

This article nicely summarizes the evidence that learning styles don't exist. Here's a quote:

My job was to run classrooms full of Navy enlisted men through aircraft identification training. Enlistees were randomly assigned to classes that emphasized one style of training or another. However, all classes received equivalent amounts of practice and feedback. No significant differences in acquisition or retention were discovered across groups regardless of enlistees' preferences for particular learning styles. This finding, resulting from methodologically rigorous research—in which I played a long, boring supporting role—vividly illustrated to me the trouble with learning styles: They don't work.

Another quote from the same article:

Unless I, and the other reviewers of research in this area, have missed the publication of tons of replicated findings, there is no evidence of stable interactions between learning styles and instructional methods. Why then do otherwise knowledgeable educators and educational researchers persist in making unverified claims for learning styles? I can only conclude that they adhere to what Jeanne Chall (2000) in her last book called a romantic, as opposed to rational, view of education. Chall cites other romantic notions that have little verified empirical support such as the whole-language approach to reading instruction, open education, and discovery learning, to name only a few. Sometimes an idea may appear so logical, and/or so deeply related to the values held by individuals, that it becomes an article of faith. Believers cling to their fancies irrespective of research findings.

There's also a field of research called denial science. It investigates why people believe stuff in the face of evidence to the contrary. It's very interesting. Here's a summary of current ideas.

S
    S
    I think I use all modalities when learning. I think it depends on the task. My auditory memory is pretty good. I also like to hear myself talk. I also hear literature as I read it...like an audio book in my head much more than I am aware of seeing the words. So if anyone asked me I would say that auditory is my learning style but I don't know that I have ever felt that is 100% true. I can learn just as easily through other modalities.

The fact that it has been debunked is interesting and it is interesting how education just can't let go.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    F
    F
    The real question that comes to my mind: is this article using "learning" and "memorizing" synonymously. If read something I can mentally recall the entire page and the information on it for several days, but I can't remember anything I hear verbally unless I repeat it back a few times or write it down. I am a stong advocate for name tags! LOL
    I do feel that people may differ greatly in the ways in which input becomes memory best for them, but I believe that memory and learning (in the understanding sense) are not the same.

For me the only way to really "learn" is to figure it out myself: reading, watching, and hearing all come up short when I'm facing the understanding a new topic like math/physics. I must organize information in my own way (usually down to the minute details), which rarely is the way others present it.

the only way to really "learn" is to figure it out myself

I'm pretty convinced that this is the only way that anyone actually learns. Assuming that "learning" is not merely memorization, that is.

smile

I know that my daughter, for example, is much like Sweetie in that she seems to process information in a spoken fashion. She can memorize reasonably well by writing or reading (though the former not as well as me, and the latter better), or auditorily (though nowhere near as well as her dad).

The key for her actually is NOT the mode of the interaction-- but the fact that it needs to be interactive and to have a random/unpredictable/responsive element. It's why Khan/YouTube are singularly useless to her.

I realize that is anecdote and not data. One might readily assume that this is a learning style issue, and that she is verbal and "not visual, kinesthetic or auditory." But that's not actually true. A variety of modes work for her. As long as there are other live human beings involved.

The learning style thing is no more valid than Meyers-Briggs is, actually-- but people (in general) seem to love both ideas, regardless of whether they are valid. {sigh} Truthiness rides again, I'm afraid.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I've made a similar comment when this comment came out before, so my apologies to anyone who is already bored.

My take on this, based entirely on personal experience, is that there is a such thing as thinking modes, and not so much learning modes. My brain likes to operate in a visual manner, but if you're teaching me something, whether the information is presented to me visually or aurally, I will be busy constructing some sort of visual model based on what I'm receiving. Once the model appears complete and seems to work, I've learned something. Otherwise, it's time to ask some searching questions as I examine my model, and modify or destroy as appropriate.

And why this idea of learning modes is appealing to people, I think, is because people recognize their own processing modes, and naturally think that's the same thing.

As for memorization, which is a whole different thing than learning, my DW is constantly irritated by my reduced ability to recall things heard rather than seen.

Originally Posted by Floridama
    The real question that comes to my mind: is this article using "learning" and "memorizing" synonymously.

Absolutely! I think the memorizing part is very key in school, so that just gets lumped together with learning, even though they are very different actions in our brains. I learn things very quickly, regardless of how it's presented, but I remember things best with action - work stuff I remember via repetition, other things via writing long hand a few times.

~amy
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM