Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Okay, maybe we're stretching the truth a wee little bit...

But if the child is *allowed* to grade-skip, then the principal and teachers approve, right? At least implicitly?

Remember, we're spinning positive and playing team here! Positive PR and all that...

wink

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Good point. If you think she's "one of us," you obviously want to support and encourage. Maybe that's the elusive 4th category? Wondering (if her child is GT) Wandas?

wink

I am sort of hung up on the idea of "Don't shout, or wave it about or the rest will be wanting one, too." I'm afraid of getting on the principal's bad side (now that I'm finally on her good side crazy )

Yay, Dottie! See, I think sometimes the positive PR becomes self-fulfilling. Get it done, tell them they approve and voila! They do!

If you push it through, they will come (around). <smirk>

Kriston
    Dottie, I know what you mean. I honestly think that the trial period they agreed to for DS was to show me that he wasn't ready.

I think I did a good job advocating for the girls this year.

Last year at this time, I was being blown off a wee bit by the principle.

Throughout the course of the year I spoke to both the girls' teachers quite a bit. I spoke at great length to the principle about both of them as well. For DD8, with the teacher's backing. For DD5 I went over the teacher's head.

The results have been:

For DD8 they changed the GT pullout for her and 4 others. Instead of twice a week, these 5 go out everyday and do work up to three grade levels above. She was very unhappy at the beginning of school, but now she is back to loving school.

For DD5 the teacher relentlessly insisted that DD5 was just average. She didn't want to send her to the pullout at all. She was overridden by DD's IQ report and the principle. Unfortunately, DD picked up on teacher's negativity and had a really bad year. I was fortunate enough to have a meeting with the principle, social worker, psychologist and teacher. The teacher sat there and said nothing, but the others were helpful and sincere in trying to figure out the problems.
    It resulted in DD5 being able to go out of class twice a week with a teacher for a special project. It was enough to keep her from crying everyday after school. frown
    We'll see what happens next year, but I can partial homeschool her if necessary.

I haven't talked about it to anyone at the school. A very good friend of mine hinted around and tried to get a little info, but I clammed up and didn't say a thing. I actually gave her a teensy bit of partly false info to get her off track.

No one has said anything to me, but I know people know about both situations. There has been a little social fall-out for both me and DD8. Again, most people don't say anything directly to me but I've heard some people think I'm a big jerk.
    Also, there is an attitude of "Why do you think your kid is so special".
    And there is one person who's child is in DD8's class who is in the pull-out, but not the everyday one. She has been outright hostile to me.
    Maybe I should have done a better PR job with the parents, but all the advocating I've done has worn me down a little. Also, the negativity of other parents shuts me down and I'd really rather avoid it.
    So, I guess if you figure out the acceptable party line, I could really use it!

Neato

"Why do you think your kid is so special?"

Yes. I feel that from people, too. Sigh.

I wasn't ready to discuss my dd's whole skip to the parents. Unfortunately my dd told her classmates and the kids told their parents and before I knew it it seemed like the entire school knew about it. When asked I was matter of fact about it.

Everyone seems happy for my dd. I have not seen any hostility from either the parents or the other kids towards either my dd or me. Actually, the parents of the incoming class (4th grade) have tried to include my dd in special activities as if she was already in their class. She received a couple of invitations for birthday parties of her new/future classmates and has at least four "best friends" from this new group. I think socially it will be a smooth transition. The fact that she knew some of this kids from moving up in math really helped.

Last edited by bianc850a; 05/21/08 06:45 PM.
    Oh, 'Neato, I feel for you. Reasons we're homeschooling...that's the biggie right there! It's hard enough to have to advocate with the schools. But to then have to turn around and advocate socially, too...

Ugh. Just ugh.

So, SO sorry!

Kriston
    That is so good to hear Bianca. I'm so glad for your daughter. Do you think it went over well because it is a private school for gifted?

Neato

Well, to be fair, there are lots of people that are happy for DD. Plus at least 4 other kids get to benefit! Their parents are real happy!
    It's just that I'm really sensitive to the negativity and I tend to "see" that more when dealing with these issues.
    Quite frankly most people are probably totally oblivious!
    It's just those few who seem to have such a problem with it get under my skin.
    I'm sure these feelings stem from my gifted denial childhood. But, I've come a long way and a lot of that has to do with the support from this forum!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM