Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #163835 08/07/13 05:01 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I am sitting with DD today doing the placement tests for singapore math. She's got some obvious gaps which are to do with being taught a different curriculum thus far. I know the standard advice is to buy the whole set of books if there are consistent gaps in a particular area, but I am wondering about just teaching those areas and moving on to higher level books. It seems crazy to buy a whole curriculum for one or two areas that she just haven't covered yet but will clearly pick up in a snap. For example she's clearly not ever seen number bonds represented the way they are in the test she's just done, but she actually knows all of those number pairs and will understand the second it's explained what was actually required.

My only concern is whether the placement test really do indicate all the areas covered and I can just work independently on covering the one or two areas she clearly hasn't seen before?

C
    C
    I am no expert. We are just starting our homeschool adventure tomorrow with my DD8. I bought the 3A and 3B books used without anything else because I wanted to start her officially in 4A. She worked through the 3A but it was mostly new to her, but when I sat down with her on the 3B, she had learned most of it. So, I decided we would do a 2 weeks of the 3B that she had learned as a quick review just to make sure she hadnt forgotten it and I matched the rest of 3B that she hadn't learned with the 4A topics. I will do the 3B explanations and a problem or two to introduce the topic, but then just go straight to the 4A book. If your daughter is very good at Math, an approach like that should be no problem. I got the books used at our local Homeschool Store. So, buying the extra book to fill in the gaps wasnt too much.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks! She's not super mathy, or rather she's not much for the rote skills and repetition of early math. I ended up deciding to start her on 1b as it seems like she's got a few important sections entirely missing, things that are not just a quick "you didn't get what this question meant because you haven't seen it expressed this way before". I suspect we'll rip through it, but there's no rush. Also the books aren't that much in the end.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM