Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    #163527 08/04/13 07:43 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Anyone else nervous about the upcoming school year?

J
    J
    Nah, just wait and see! Last year in our school's gifted program for the first year, my son had the best year he's had in 5 years of schooling! For 5th grade, he will be in the 7th grade vocab book and 6th grade math book. The teacher is supposed to be "really tough," but hopefully it will work out.

K
    K
    I'm excited, but a little nervous. DS will start homeschooling for real in a few weeks, so it's a huge step for all of us. I am hoping DD gets a teacher who is a good fit for her; I'm nervous she will be envious of her big brother.

M
    M
    Nervous and excited. DS4.11 starts half day public Kindergarten in 2 weeks! There will be times when he'll be super bored and pretending to not know stuff (like Math) but "fortunately" his fine motor skills are still lacking and he's had zero interest in reading so far so he'll have something to keep him busy. I'm giving it 2 months before we get to the point of thinking about pulling him out. But I hope he lasts longer! Come winter, his health issues will start popping up again and he'll spend more time at home than at school. But I NEED him in school for now so I have the free time (and quiet house) to work on DS3.4's problems. It's pretty much impossible to do while the older tornado's constantly running around and talking. ... but yes ... VERY nervous! More for myself than for him! lol

A little wistful and apprehensive.

DD14's last year of secondary, and I'm feeling:

a) a little scared because her AP Statistics textbook is mediocre at best, and her teacher has a (notoriously) poor grasp on... er... English... and does not 'teach' the class. It's all me, and I just hope that I can offer instruction that will match up with the class assessments well enough that she has a genuine chance to earn an A. My conscience may get in the way. blush

b) she's our only child, and she'll graduate from high school this coming June.

c) COLLEGE HUNT. JOB HUNT... HOUSING HUNT... MAJOR TRAVEL... (cue flaming-haired screaming smiley here)... DD's extracurricular commitments... volunteer activities... eek

d) how to keep her engaged and in the game through a senior year with only two "real" classes in it... yowza.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    S
    Solaris,
    Reading this brought a big smile to my face. I am just about to start the journey - my son is turning 5 this month and we will be homeschooling. I hope to create for him what you are creating for your son - time to be himself. So I just wanted to "stop by" and say: "Great work, mom. It must be great to be your son!"
    Stefanie

edited for clarity

Last edited by stefgray; 08/04/13 07:46 PM.
    K
    K
    Yes. DS11 is about to enter middle school for the first time and is entering 7th grade (skipping 6th). He's excited but also nervous, understandably.

M
    M
    Nervous and excited. School has started. Ds6 is enjoying school so far:) Hope this continues!

22B Offline
    We've been going two weeks already - home/virtual school. We need to make progress because we've got lots of travel plans for when most kids are in school.

M
    M
    Yes, very apprehensive, but hoping the GIEP that we have in place now will make a difference. Hoping that 1st won't be as "mind-numbingly boring" for my son and that the teacher is more open to differentiated work than his K teacher, whose lack of responsiveness caused a whole slew of emotional issues.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM