Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    4My4 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD has had a miserable year in 2nd grade. Went from a happy little girl who loved school and couldn't wait to go in the morning to a little girl who got in trouble all the time and hates going to school. Basically she ended up with a lousy teacher who placed her in middle of the pack groups in the class. (Her reading group read books DD read on her own back in kindergarten.) Multiple meetings with the teacher and the principal yielded no results. They refused to move her to another room or give her more challenging work. DD started getting in trouble virtually daily at school. Teacher just wanted her to, quite literally, sit down and shut up.

The school refused to give her anything other than Terra Nova so I had her privately tested. Not surprising, her actual IQ is 40 points higher than what the Terra Nova said. Now that I have something to back me up, how should I approach the principal? All I want is a teacher who will "guide her to her maximum potential" as the school's tagline says. The psych who evaluated DD recommended we accelerate her a grade level. Since she's already the youngest in her class, we aren't ready for that but would like to have some subject acceleration... and just not have her be bored to distraction. Help!

M
    M
    Do you think the principal would be open to hearing about the private testing? That may be a place to start.

The person who tested my ds said if the principal was unwilling to help; we would need another school. May sound harsh, but if the principal won't help it's gonna be a fight to go above her.

Good luck! (I'm sure others will chime in with more advice!)

K
    K
    I agree that I would start by asking if they are open to looking at the results from private testing.

Our school tried to help with subject acceleration after they tested DS (after months of him complaining and getting into trouble). They moved him ahead 2 years in math and science, which academically was where he needed to be, but it was a social disaster that the school was not prepared for.

We wound up pulling him out of school last week, and preparing to homeschool for 3rd grade in the fall. DS was simply miserable at school.

Ohio has very clear standards on gifted identification and educational requirements. The first place I would start is looking at ODE website section of gifted education. My district has its own additional guidelines available online as well. I would investigate the district policy on gifted identification. I believe the state has requirements that each school must have a policy regarding gifted education.

I'm sure each district varies a lot by what they are calling gifted education, but at least that's a place to start gathering your information. I have always spent a lot time getting all of my evidence before approaching the school. It's a lot easier for them to shut you down when they have more information than you do.

The state guidelines have been quite useful for us getting subject accelerations. It can be next to impossible in the younger grades with scheduling. Some districts have the Gifted IEPs and that can be very useful as well.

Feel free to PM me if you have any Ohio specific questions

J
    J
    I gave up on our school . DS' 2nd grade was a nightmare , and DS ended up hating going to school , he was once loved going to school so much . We've done enough talking , conference , meeting with the teacher , counselor , principal , vice principal , all of the above together .. nothing ever changed . They just wanted my DS to sit and shut up , just like you said .

We came to a decision we're homeschooling him this fall . We talked with DS and although he said he would miss his friends , after weighing the pros and cons , he willingly said he thinks homeschool will be a better choice for him .

I hope the coming up school year works better for you . Me in my tiny spot in my heart still thinks .. what if 3rd grade will be different ? what if it'll be different ? But .. what if it's going to make DS feels worse ? We just have to do what's best for him .

A
    A
    Is your daughter in a private school? If so, you should look for other schools which know how to handle gifted students. But, if she is in a public school, then you have to set up a meeting with the principal and discuss your findings with him as well as ask him to use your private testing result as a basis to determine acceleration.
    I had a similar situation with my son getting into trouble because of boredom. Subject acceleration is not possible in our school district until 2nd grade (a district policy). He was allowed to sit in on 1st grade during K because he was in a mixed class, but he was still bored. We resorted to afterschooling rigorously so that he was challenged even though it came outside school time. He used the school time to create crafts and art, socialize, play at recess and get into trouble.
    After many anxious months of meetings and worrying about 1st grade being too easy for him in the coming Fall year, I have decided to move him out of the public school system. I am shopping for private schools now and will move him out within a year.

Last edited by ashley; 07/30/13 08:16 PM. Reason: typos
    From personal experience, I do not see a school being impressed by IQ alone. I would have your DD assessed using a nationally normed achievement test too to see where her strengths and weaknesses (if any) lay. Using the combination of IQ (potential) and achievement scores you will be much better equipped to deal with the school as well as being better able to plan next steps. Just my $0.02 ymmv.

Become what you are

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM