Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I am a PG(170-180 IQ)23 year old student wanting to obtain a Ph.D. in Cognitive psychology or Neuroscience. Do you think that it is appropriate to place High IQ groups on my graduate school resumes/CVs? These groups certainly have permitted me to meet others with similar interests; I also communicate with them and have lively, delightful, and inflamed intellectual discussions.

is it a good idea for me to list these High IQ groups (i.e. Mensa, Intertel, 4G) in the club/group section on my resume?

The reason I ask is because my GRE scores were not great--I was hoping that my membership in these societies might compensate for that. Also, these groups really HAVE been beneficial for me socially.
    I just fear coming off as pretentious, gauche, or rude.

What do you think? Thanks so much!

22B Offline
    It might backfire. It might make the entrance committee question even more why the GRE scores weren't higher.

C
    C
    I wouldn't, *especially* given that your GREs aren't great. I agree with 22B, it will make people wonder about the disparity, even if the GRE scores aren't a problem in themselves. Also, people have such different experiences of and opinions of high IQ societies that it's risky anyway.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I wouldn't either. Is there any way you can try to get your GRE scores up?

C
    C
    I am a University Professor and I would list them. It won't hurt. Just about everyone who is accepted into a legitimate PhD program probably qualifies for those societies and it shows that you are a collaborator which is good for a PhD. It would benefit you if you are a part of some subgroup that is relevant to your field of study or have some sort of role in the organization beyond just being a member.

I
    I
    I don't think you should list them unless you are active in some capacity like on a board, running some activities like a SIG group on a regular basis, etc. I don't think it shows a thing about collaboration; I am in Mensa, and I can tell you that some people I have met there would be good collaborators, and some would be awful -- it doesn't mean anything about your collaboration ability to be a member. You really can't offset a poor GRE score with these memberships, IMHO.

J
    J
    My background is that I did a Ph.D. in math. The academic communities that I'm familiar with don't have IQ on their radar, so I think that it would come across as a non sequitur. Relatedly, it might come across as resume padding. I don't think that it's a big deal either way, but I would guess that listing them would, on balance, have a negative impact.

Advising for gifted children available at Cognito Mentoring.
    No just do what everyone else seems to do - work through some GRE prep books which teach to the test and retake the GRE

Become what you are
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    You are all correct.

I came to a startling realization that I am an incredibly/tremendously lazy student sometimes--especially when I am not thrilled with the content or intellectually enthralled. I really do just need to sit down and study. That is all.

Thanks to everyone who commented on this post! I really appreciate all that you have to say!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM