Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #163179 07/28/13 06:46 PM
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Thought I would update on my DD9, who I have posted about quite a lot. We started her on 500 mg of Rhodiola Rosea daily about 2 months ago, going on a tip from someone here. It is an herb with a long history of usage for depression and anxiety and some studies showing some efficacy (eg: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17990195).

While it has not been a wonder drug, we really have seen improvement. I would estimate that DD's # of "bad days" has decreased by at least 50%, if not more. She is still cranky and sharp around the edges at times, but we see significantly fewer major meltdowns and less existential sadness. It's possible that summer break is the reason for the improvement--she has done some really good camps and has also been very physically active--but last summer was quite bad.

Just thought I would update. It has been a good couple of months!

G
    G
    I'm so glad you are having an easier summer than last! I don't know much about Rhodiola but I know what a wonderful thing it is when you start to realize you are seeing fewer "bad" days than before. I'm happy for you all!

M
    M
    I too am really glad that something is helping!

D
    D
    Whatever the cause, progress is to be relished! Good for all of you!

DeeDee

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    We started her on 500 mg of Rhodiola Rosea daily about 2 months ago, going on a tip from someone here. It is an herb with a long history of usage for depression and anxiety and some studies showing some efficacy (eg: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17990195).

I think that tip probably came from me! I use it for my DS and EVERYONE (who had been complaining and dealing with his crankiness) noticed a significant difference quite quickly. I took him off of it for the summer but plan to start him on it again in the winter (I think I read it has it's origin in Russians using it to help them with the long dark (depressing) winters). I have to say we saw a definite, significant improvement. It is the only thing that I have used with DS that made such a clear cut difference. And not just me wanting to see it - grandmother and teacher (both who had no knowledge that I started givibng it to him) noticed it immediately. It really seemed to help with his stress level. I have also heard vitamin D can help so you may want to get her levels checked. I am so glad someone else is benefitting from this!

Last edited by Irena; 07/29/13 09:41 AM.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Irena, it may have been you--if so, THANK YOU!! Really, it was just a whim to try it. We are not "herbal supplement" people at all, but I was impressed by the studies. I really feel it has "taken the edge off" for DD and made it easier for her to function day to day. She seems happier, less stressed, and less anxious. I guess the real test will come when school starts again.

Very interesting... I might have to look into this. DS9 is on two other meds though, so I'd want to talk to his psychiatrist first.

~amy
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I'd love it if some of the very smart people here would look at the studies. I wish there were a few more.

DH and I are toying with doing our own "study" where she is off or on the med for a few weeks and only one of us knows it. Of course, it would be even better if we gave her an identical-looking placebo during the off weeks, so she didn't know either, and even BETTER if we somehow triple-blinded it so that NONE of us knew which one she was taking. Even BETTER, we could program some device to "beep" at randomized times during the day so we could record her mood/behavior at random intervals...(geeking out)

Of course, this doesn't take the very real placebo effect into account...maybe no placebo is better...

After following along on the ivy admission thread, I think that I need some myself j/k

Seriously, though, would you mind sharing the brand that you have been using, please? Feel free to PM me. DD still has extreme reactions to seemingly in innocuous things so I would be willing to try this. How should it be dosed, by weight?

Become what you are
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I'd love it if some of the very smart people here would look at the studies. I wish there were a few more.

DH and I are toying with doing our own "study" where she is off or on the med for a few weeks and only one of us knows it. Of course, it would be even better if we gave her an identical-looking placebo during the off weeks, so she didn't know either, and even BETTER if we somehow triple-blinded it so that NONE of us knew which one she was taking. Even BETTER, we could program some device to "beep" at randomized times during the day so we could record her mood/behavior at random intervals...(geeking out)

Of course, this doesn't take the very real placebo effect into account...maybe no placebo is better...

Actually, that's when a placebo is MOST needed; when the effect could conceivably mostly/entirely attributed to such effect, that is.

Unfortunately, not a lot of the pharmacognosy/ethnopharmacology work from the former Soviet bloc is... er... reproducible, let's just say. Hard to know if it's just the placebo effect or not. I presume that you've done sufficient hunting down of adverse effect and toxicology hypotheses regarding Rhodiola, yes?

I tend to be pretty wary of herbals because of the lack of oversight in the US (as compared to either foodstuffs or pharmaceuticals, it's very much the honor system in a lot of ways).

The real question is-- if it WAS merely placebo effect, would you really want to know that? If it seems to help, and you're all happier, and there seems to be no long-term usage red flags health-wise, then little harm in not knowing, IMO.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM