Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 230 of 268 1 2 228 229 230 231 232 267 268
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    DD11 had a great term in school! Clearly skipping up to a bunch of higher level classes was the right thing to do:

* Judges' choice at a local engineering competition. She and one other child represented their class at the event. The other child was VERY shy, so she stepped up and did the entire presentation.

* Second place in the school science fair. A small fair, but she did a great job with her experiment and display board. The first and second place winners were just points apart.

* Impressed a teacher subbing for one of her classes so much that he invited her into his competition-based class next year (even though she's two years too young to compete).

* Decided on her own that the school needs a student newspaper and got her teacher and school director on board. She'll get to be student editor and I volunteered to be parent editor as part of my coop hours (thereby proving my point that with great enthusiasm comes great responsibility -- or if you want to run things, volunteer). I plan to let her and the other kids run this thing entirely and am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Thanks for being here so that I have someone to brag to!

C
    C
    DS10 has just turned the last topic blue in Alcumus [not counting prealgebra, which got added when he was well able to do the algebra questions and so has never been his focus: all Algebra, Number Theory, Counting & Probability and Geometry topics blue.]

And hasn't bothered to tell me - I know because I have his password.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    DS10 has just turned the last topic blue in Alcumus [not counting prealgebra, which got added when he was well able to do the algebra questions and so has never been his focus: all Algebra, Number Theory, Counting & Probability and Geometry topics blue.]

Question: How do you turn a topic blue? It seems to me that once you hit green it moves to the next topic, when one more question in a topic would turn it blue. A few bars happen to be blue, presumably when one question's points put it from below the green threshold to above the blue.

Story: DS8 recently had almost finished pre-algebra (at green) when he figured some answer was 1/6, but instead of simply entering "1/6" he looked at the formatting rules thought he'd try "\frac{1}{6}" just to learn and try something. But when he went to press the shift key he accidentally hit enter, before he finished typing it, and his "answer" "\frac{1" was marked wrong. On the 2nd attempt at answering, despite being more careful this time, it happened again, his "answer" "\frac{1}{6" was marked wrong, and the question disappeared, and a new question appeared. DS8 was so upset he couldn't continue even though he only needed a few question to finish pre-algebra. Hopefully I can coax him back onto it soon.

D
    D

I love the matter-of-factness... :-)

C
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B

Question: How do you turn a topic blue? It seems to me that once you hit green it moves to the next topic, when one more question in a topic would turn it blue. A few bars happen to be blue, presumably when one question's points put it from below the green threshold to above the blue.
    Yeah; once everything is green it goes round again and turns everything blue, basically. (And while I don't pretend to understand how it's working in detail, the typical question level goes up, I think, so it's not a waste of time.)
    Story: DS8 recently had almost finished pre-algebra (at green) when he figured some answer was 1/6, but instead of simply entering "1/6" he looked at the formatting rules thought he'd try "\frac{1}{6}" just to learn and try something. But when he went to press the shift key he accidentally hit enter, before he finished typing it, and his "answer" "\frac{1" was marked wrong. On the 2nd attempt at answering, despite being more careful this time, it happened again, his "answer" "\frac{1}{6" was marked wrong, and the question disappeared, and a new question appeared. DS8 was so upset he couldn't continue even though he only needed a few question to finish pre-algebra. Hopefully I can coax him back onto it soon.
    Argh, yes, btdt. Makes one wonder how hard it could be to have a syntax checking phase that would ask "did you really mean that?" before marking something wrong. (Might be worth suggesting, actually.) Fwiw tolerating such things is an area where DS has improved a lot in the last couple of years, so hang in there!

22B Offline
    Thanks, ColinsMum. I think he's over the "injustice" now. (He understood there was an exact syntax to follow, even if he didn't know where it came from, but his clumsy keyboard skills tripped him up (twice).) Anyway, Alcumus is free, so we can live with it's strict answer checker. I've never seen Alcumus make an error, unlike most other applications I've seen.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Thanks, ColinsMum. I think he's over the "injustice" now. (He understood there was an exact syntax to follow, even if he didn't know where it came from, but his clumsy keyboard skills tripped him up (twice).) Anyway, Alcumus is free, so we can live with it's strict answer checker. I've never seen Alcumus make an error, unlike most other applications I've seen.
    We've seen quite a few! But if you report them, the reports get read promptly by humans. (We've seen mistakes in solutions, including one really bizarre one that began with an arithmetic error and got worse from there, more often than nonsensical questions, and I don't recall a blatant "right answer marked wrong" case.)

DD14 is finished with high school.

We survived!!!

(I really want a school teeshirt that says that. )

grin

Granted my freedom from {school} in 2014.

She also got invited back for a second (paid) summer by her internship mentor from last year, and she is THRILLED about that, since she'll be more useful this year, having completed a year of stats.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Outstanding HK!!! Whoop-whoop! laugh

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    YEAH!!! Congrats.. Does she have a graduation ceremony?

Page 230 of 268 1 2 228 229 230 231 232 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM