Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    YES-- the Flavia books. Like Edward Gorey put into text form. grin

My DD is a huge fan of Flavia.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks everyone, I am going to print out this list and take it to the library with us. My DD was devastated that the library was closed yesterday and is today as well. Many of these sound like wonderful options. I know I can always count on BTDT advice and suggestions from this board. There is nowhere else in our circle where I can share so much about my child and find that her interests and needs appear normal.

T
    T
    The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede are great also

I
    I
    My kids also liked Patricia Wrede. And Tamora Pierce has some strong female characters, too, and given your daughter's tastes they might appeal to her.

Is she old enough for "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" yet? Maybe a year away... smile

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Matilda and The BFG by Roald Dahl

The Little House books

Understood Betsy

I'll try to think of more.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by intparent
    Is she old enough for "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" yet? Maybe a year away... smile

We did From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler for the first time when DD was 6. She loved it and has returned to it a few times over the past couple of years. Good choice!

I
    I
    Oh, yes... Understood Betsy is a good one!

Enchantress from the Stars by Sylvia Engdahl is also a good one.

In a year or two some of the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey have strong female characters. And when my daughter was in third grade she read "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King, so in another year or two you might introduce that one.

Last edited by intparent; 07/21/13 05:40 PM.
    T
    T
    My daughter turned 7 on Sunday. She is on the same reading level as your daughter I think. Don't know if your school does AR, but she reads in a grade five to six, and completed first grade with 200 AR points. It left me wondering after first grade ended "where does she go now?" I really didn't want her finishing up all the best books before she even entered second grade.

Anyhow, this series has not been suggested and I think she might like it based in what you mentioned. Susan Wittig Albert has a series about Beatrice Potter that's very sweet, around grade 6 AR 13 points each. There are six of them I believe so far. I chose these for my daughter because she had read all Roald Dahl, all the Ramona books, the first three Potters, etc. my daughter likes a series book, and she doesn't like to be frightened.

There are some freebies on kindle that are really good, too. Around the same AR. "The princess and the goblin", "the princess and curdie", and mark twains granddaughter wrote a lovely book called "daddy long legs" that's also free on kindle.

Oh! And the Inkspell series. And wrinkle in time. And... And... I could go on and on like... Have you checked out this list? We have about half of these in ur library right now.
    http://www.npr.org/2013/08/05/207315023/the-ultimate-backseat-bookshelf-100-must-reads-for-kids-9-14

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM