Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 18 of 131 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 130 131
    A
    A
    DS is a foodie like his mother. Yesterday while playing restaurant, I was DS' sous chef and suggested a yellow block could represent Swiss cheese. He looked at me with horror and quickly said, "No! Jarlsberg." Made me smile.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Please tell me, aquinas, that your son was wearing a chef's hat smile

OP Offline
    DD14 has a dog who is... well, okay, it's an adolescent Aussie... this dog is... er-- quite.a.handful. Speaking charitably. Mostly I laugh about this. She has all of my DD's most prominent character features.
    whistle LOL. She's proven almost impossible to train for obedience because a human trainer cannot possibly respond QUICKLY enough for her...

We call her DD's "Flying Monkey," due to the dog's nature, behaviors, and her obsessive fixation with my DD.

DH was sitting on the sofa with said dog, who was looking deeply concerned by DD's disappearance from the room (she'd gone to get her watch)... upon her return, DH announced "THERE's the Monkey Master" in a sing-song voice.

I dryly answered-- "I prefer to think of her as the Wicked Witch of the West." (This remark should be instantly understandable to anyone who has raised a PG daughter through her teens.)

DD14, almost before I finished that sentence:

"That's the Wicked Witch of the NORTH West to you. And you'd better behave or I'll use my creature against you. grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by squishys
    Please tell me, aquinas, that your son was wearing a chef's hat smile

An imaginary one. He also insists on wearing a sock on his left hand as an oven mitt to protect him from the blazing oven he made out of books on the sofa.

OP Offline
    Perhaps you could work on a Parisian accent to complete his look as a cheese connoisseur? grin

My DD has become a serious bread-snob in addition to her unfortunate cheese addiction which began in Paris. It sounds like the two of them could have a lovely afternoon together. In the right surroundings, of course.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Perhaps you could work on a Parisian accent to complete his look as a cheese connoisseur? grin

My DD has become a serious bread-snob in addition to her unfortunate cheese addiction which began in Paris. It sounds like the two of them could have a lovely afternoon together. In the right surroundings, of course.

Ha! But you know my more modest roots...he needs Mum's Montreal accent. wink

On the bread front, I think he'd gladly enjoy tasty bread with an older woman, especially if there's Fougasse to be had.

Maybe we should make bread as a weekend project! All this bread talk is making me noshy.

OP Offline
    DD14's "artistic vision" today:

"I title this panel.... "Ew."

She is turning a head shot of the Flying Monkey into... er...

well, Marylin Monroe. A la Warhol, I mean.

Dogs, lacking opposable thumbs, should NOT wear eye makeup. They have terrible taste.

Yup. Hair-ilyn Monroe.

She's aiming squarely at "WTH is THAT??" as a viewer response. Who says that photography isn't art?

She has just apologized to me for turning out to be a Surrealist at heart... and is now playing the emo-kazoo, with piano accompaniment. She spent the morning with my DH and a bunch of adults, including a respected textbook author and emeritus professor of entomology, happily educating the public about honeybees.

My kid. She's quirky all the way to the bone.

L
    L
    We are at Hyde park visiting the home if FDR. I show DD3.8 the room he was born.
    Dd: what, his mom did not go to the hospital?
    Me: no, back then, it was common to give birth at home.
    Dd: hmmm. Who pulled him out?
    Thankfully, at that point, the kind lady next to us started to laugh and asked dd how old she was.

C
    C
    @HowlerKarma, She read "Breaking Stalin's Nose" which resulted in me having to give her a history lesson and reading "A Children's view of history" WWI - Korean War. She decided that Communists were crazy and she likes Capitalism better.

We'd been away for a week's vacation, and got in last night. I walked DD8 up the street to her BFF's house, ostensibly to get our mail, which her family had graciously agreed to collect for us, but also to see if BFF was available to play. A sleepover was decided, and as I walked the two girls down to our house, DD was excitedly chatting up a storm... until, in mid-sentence, she felt it necessary to exclaim on the night sky, featuring a full moon framed by broken clouds all around. She declared it to be the best view she'd ever seen, and lamented that she didn't have a camera or her ipod.

I handed her my phone, and although the image really didn't capture well, it's currently my background.

Page 18 of 131 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM