Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 131 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 130 131
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I live with a pair of VERY strange people. They would also claim that I fit right in, but I don't believe that for a moment. I am not the person who thinks that King Lear needs a scene with multiple Elvis impersonators.

I am not the person that chose "shoot fire out my butt" when asked; 'which superpower would you most like to have?'

I cannot say the same for either of my family members.

Awesome! I like your family....LOL

R
    R
    I loved reading this thread.
    DS2 who just turned 7 this month just finished an 8 page report on his favorite book Matilda for school. At the end he wrote - "This report all 8 pages of it was written by me with no help from mom, dad or brother.(P.S. No sister or pet at home to help)"
    And he spelled Matilda as Mathilda because she was so good at math.

Last edited by rachsr; 05/31/13 06:01 AM.
    D
    D
    I love this thread too--thanks, HK! Danse Macabre is one of my favorite pieces, so I'm going to have to try to find that Liszt arrangement. I really enjoy the versions that are crisp.

And one problem with being able to shoot fire out of your butt that I can imagine is, without eyes in the back of your head, wouldn't it be difficult to aim accurately? The collateral damage could be significant wink

Originally Posted by Dbat
    And one problem with being able to shoot fire out of your butt that I can imagine is, without eyes in the back of your head, wouldn't it be difficult to aim accurately? The collateral damage could be significant wink

It comes with some obvious advantages, though, over other options:

- Shoot fire out of your eyes... temporarily blinded. How can you track a moving target?

- Breathe fire through nose and mouth... takes the joy out of dining. You might as well have a diet of charcoal.

I'd say her husband has given this some serious thought and come up with the least-worst solution.

OP Offline
    Oh, we discussed solutions to any number of resultant problems with this particular superpower. That guy from the Village People who wears the chaps? Yeah; he definitely has the right idea. A cape or regular tights would be a serious problem if you were that kind of superhero. grin (My family as a whole has raised "irreverent sense of humor" to an art form.)

Needless to say, my DD's favorite literature selection of all time is Swift's Modest Proposal. Atta girl.

Dbat-- I think it may have been Horowitz playing, but it was Saint-Saens/Liszt, certainly.

rachr-- No pets helped... LOL! I love it!!

Av-- we definitely regard the entire house as a potential experimental zone. Then again, we don't entertain much. blush It would require some odd explanations at times, that much is certain.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dimaondblue

Oh. Oh my. Oh. My. Goodness. Shooting coffee out of my nose at work makes for a very messy keyboard. That's just hilarious.

Last edited by Diamondblue; 05/31/13 09:09 AM.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I live with a pair of VERY strange people. They would also claim that I fit right in, but I don't believe that for a moment. I am not the person who thinks that King Lear needs a scene with multiple Elvis impersonators.

I am not the person that chose "shoot fire out my butt" when asked; 'which superpower would you most like to have?'

I cannot say the same for either of my family members.

LOL! An aspiring rectal flamethrower! (Three words I bet none of us ever expected would be joined coherently on this forum...)

What a tool for DH to have in his...err...arsenal. wink

My choice superpower would be to emit a "ray of rationality". Just think of the havoc I could wreak!!!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    OP Offline
    Yes, I was (personally), torn between the power of flying...

and an "enlightenment wand" with which I could thump 'correct' deserving people.

DD wanted a "stun ray" for making stupidity actively painful.

That was before Dad weighed in, though. wink

I think DD got two copies of this particular gene, but I still recall her stamping a foot and crossing both arms in a 6yo snit--

"I hate it when everyone around here is CLEVERER AND MORE WITTY THAN I AM!!" The hilarious part was that she was actually serious, at least in the moment.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by lilmisssunshine
    At 6:30 am, pre-coffee, the bathroom door bursts open in an effort to surprise me. It worked.
    A wild-eyed DS4.5, who usually sleeps much later says:

"Are you pooping mom?"
    "Yeah. Do you have to go?"
    "No. I just really want to show you something on Minecraft."

*sigh*
    laugh
    Hubby has learned to bring the coffee into the bathroom with him.

Originally Posted by kelly0523
    Originally Posted by lilmisssunshine
    At 6:30 am, pre-coffee, the bathroom door bursts open in an effort to surprise me. It worked.
    A wild-eyed DS4.5, who usually sleeps much later says:

"Are you pooping mom?"
    "Yeah. Do you have to go?"
    "No. I just really want to show you something on Minecraft."

*sigh*

LOL! Gotta love it. Did you have a cat in there watching you too? I swear, I look forward to five minutes alone in the bathroom when everyone leaves the house and the cat is asleep!

laugh

I love the cat comment.

We have a new-to-us feline who insists standing upon my bladder first thing is the best wake up call. He loves to watch potty activities.

Page 9 of 131 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM