Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 17 of 131 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 130 131
    DD7 was getting some alone time the other day with her grandparents. They were driving to another town about 15 miles away and I guess DD was really chatting it up, enjoying her alone time without DD9 around. She really impressed her grandpa during this drive - enough that he had to call me up to tell me all about it, which is not typical.

He said there was a storm system moving in and the clouds were building up in the distance. DD7 was taking it all in and proceeded to give a lecture on the clouds and the water cycle. I guess Grandpa was extremely surprised that DD7 knew and used the appropriate words like cumulus, precipitation, condensation, saturation, and transpiration while describing the impending rain.

Grandpa is very scientific minded and even though we have told all the grandparents about DD7 and DD9's talents, I guess this conversation made a true believer out of him. She must have been a real pip for him to call and tell me! I just wish I would have been there to see his reaction.

N
    N
    Ha, that's always fun when somebody discovers it for themselves! smile

Originally Posted by aquinas
    I was touched by DS20mo's compassion toward an upset little boy (maybe 2.5) at the park today. The boy's nanny was rushing him though transitions, being rough and, most appallingly, shaming him for being upset in front of ofher children. The poor little soul was bawling his eyes out.

DS decided to go over to "cheer up boy", and began gently stroking the boy's arm and head and giving him a sympathetic smile saying, "cheer up, you'll be okay". I thought it was lovely that he was so concerned that he felt compelled to intervene, and in such a gentle and appropriate way.

You want a laugh? When DD was about 2.5 I was stressed out about something and showing it. DD just looked me right in the eye and in the sweetest, most consoling tone said - 'It's OK Dad'. The role reversal snapped me out of it. I still chuckle to myself every time I revisit the incident in my mind LOL

Become what you are
    K
    K
    On the way to drop off Ds4 at day camp Yoyo Ma came on the radio. Ds promptly
    Asked me very politely to turn it off. When asked why he replied that the piece was just too beautiful and would make him cry. He also added that today it was not music to his ears and he was not in the mood.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    I was touched by DS20mo's compassion toward an upset little boy (maybe 2.5) at the park today. The boy's nanny was rushing him though transitions, being rough and, most appallingly, shaming him for being upset in front of ofher children. The poor little soul was bawling his eyes out.

DS decided to go over to "cheer up boy", and began gently stroking the boy's arm and head and giving him a sympathetic smile saying, "cheer up, you'll be okay". I thought it was lovely that he was so concerned that he felt compelled to intervene, and in such a gentle and appropriate way.

You want a laugh? When DD was about 2.5 I was stressed out about something and showing it. DD just looked me right in the eye and in the sweetest, most consoling tone said - 'It's OK Dad'. The role reversal snapped me out of it. I still chuckle to myself every time I revisit the incident in my mind LOL

That's adorable, madeinuk.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Khombi
    On the way to drop off Ds4 at day camp Yoyo Ma came on the radio. Ds promptly
    Asked me very politely to turn it off. When asked why he replied that the piece was just too beautiful and would make him cry. He also added that today it was not music to his ears and he was not in the mood.

That's beautiful, khombi! I can commiserate; I was that child and have grown into that adult.

You're a good parent for listening and respecting your son's request. It can be really jarring to be forced through unwanted emotions. I remember feeling quite violated when I was 4 and not having a similar request met. Being forced to hear something has always, for me, been akin to being manhandled.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I am not really sure if this is considered "gifted" but it was a very good display of how DS5's mind works.

Our dog ate a roly poly (aka pill bug).

DS: What do you think happened to it?

Me: What do you think happened to it?

DS: Well, it was swallowed whole. Dogs don't have molars like us. Even though they eat dog food now, they are still like their wolf ancestors in that their teeth are more for tearing flesh and swallowing it whole. They have large stomachs so it isn't going to get too mashed up in there.

DS: Hey, do you think they have a stronger stomach acid to make up for their lack of chewing?

Me: I have no idea.

DS: Some animals eat rocks to help with digestion. I don't think dogs do that though.

DS: Hey, do you think swallowed bone fragments could work like rocks?

Me: I don't know. Maybe you can ask the vet next time.

DS: Anyway, I am thinking the exoskeleton would make it into the small intestine whole. The villi would go to work on the protein and other nutrients from the dissolved middle but I really think the exoskeleton would make it all the way through. It would be hard to know though, you know? Once the large intestine removes the moisture it is probably going to just be a tiny clear shell like thing. It would be almost impossible to find mixed in with all the other waste.

Me: Uh...you aren't going to try to find a dead bug in the dog poop are you?

DS: No way! That would be super gross.

This is an example of a very typical conversation with him. I know that according to his test scores he is considered gifted and some people might even think that a five year old thinking through "what happened to the bug my dog ate" in this way is a sign of being gifted, but I have no idea what to do about it.

C
    C
    My DD10 told me she had a repeated nightmare last night. She was in Norway and needing to escape the German Communists. I don't think that's the normal nightmare for a 10 yr old.

K
    K
    My DD3 has been begging to watch Star Wars for months, and we finally decided to let her watch "A New Hope". The following day she was playing "rock star" with one of her friends and started singing "And I know, I know I am just a prisoner"...

So, of course, I asked what she was singing about, since that is kind of a disturbing thing for a child to think -- and she responded, exasperated, "Mommy, it's my song about Princess Leia, you've gotta listen better!"

OP Offline
    KJP, that's a great conversation. I can't count the number of those I've had with DD over the years-- sometimes super-surreal stuff. I always kind of cringed when she'd start one of those in public. Like why only some mammals have pubic hair-- that kind of thing. eek I only wish that I had a nickel for every stranger's head that has whipped more than 90 degrees to do a double take.

That's a fascinating dream-- I wonder where that one came from? Something she's been reading? Something she recently watched like a documentary or cold-war thriller? Reminds me of Archangel. Daniel Craig was excellent in that, fwiw. wink

laugh Princess Leia has a theme song. Awesome!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 17 of 131 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM