Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    So everyone keeps telling me that my DD3 is physically gifted. (This can't possibly be inherited from her parents!). What this means is that she has extraordinary balance (can walk across a banister 4 feet off the ground) climbing ability and is able to seemingly do anything anyone teaches her. I really don't know what to do about this and where to go with this. Anyone have any experience with this kind of giftedness or have any ideas for resources?

Gymnastics. smile

Dance.

Martial arts.

Get her into 'intro' sessions with a studio/gym that trains more serious older kids, too, and let them see what she can do. My guess is that they'll pull her into groupings with more capable kids of mixed ages, even if she's the youngest one in the group.

Get her mentorship for this soon, though-- it's great that you're seeing it as a need.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    E
    E
    Think about her genetics and her likely teen/adult physique before you sign her up for dance (or maybe gymnastics). (And I say this as a former competitive dancer who seriously considered turning pro.) There's no need to invite eating disorders into your home if she would be equally happy doing karate or fencing or archery. But if you expect her genetically to be wispy and thin, there's no reason not to sign her up for dance and see how she does.

V
    V
    Hockey!

M
    M
    I don't want to burst your bubble, because I might be way off and she may be very physically gifted. When my eldest was 3 she was an amazing climber, great balance, truly advanced in playground skills, i got comments from other parents all the time. I remember thinking how she didn't get that from us and how wonderful that she was so much more physically able than me... Imagine my confusion when at 7 I was told she had low tone, hyper mobility, poor (resting) posture, sensory processing issues, etc... I knew these things about myself but didn't see them in her. She's the best rock climber in her class, terrifies other parents with her tree climbing, has great balance - and is spectacularly poor at all ball sports. She's pretty good at scoring well in just dance as her timing is exceptional and her left/right integration is (now) quite good - but she looks awkward. There is something markedly different about how she dances and her friends. Actually my 3yr old has a better butt wiggle (her dancing is hilarious).

My understanding of my 11yr olds physical abilities is very different to when she was 3...

Anyway, none of that might be relevant to you, but sometimes things aren't quite how they seem.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Think about her genetics and her likely teen/adult physique before you sign her up for dance (or maybe gymnastics). (And I say this as a former competitive dancer who seriously considered turning pro.) There's no need to invite eating disorders into your home if she would be equally happy doing karate or fencing or archery. But if you expect her genetically to be wispy and thin, there's no reason not to sign her up for dance and see how she does.

She will definitely NOT be wispy and thin. She will be average to above average height, average build. I don't really see her being interested in something like ballet now. She likes big giant movements, big jumps, big walls to climb.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    I don't want to burst your bubble, because I might be way off and she may be very physically gifted. When my eldest was 3 she was an amazing climber, great balance, truly advanced in playground skills, i got comments from other parents all the time. I remember thinking how she didn't get that from us and how wonderful that she was so much more physically able than me... Imagine my confusion when at 7 I was told she had low tone, hyper mobility, poor (resting) posture, sensory processing issues, etc... I knew these things about myself but didn't see them in her. She's the best rock climber in her class, terrifies other parents with her tree climbing, has great balance - and is spectacularly poor at all ball sports. She's pretty good at scoring well in just dance as her timing is exceptional and her left/right integration is (now) quite good - but she looks awkward. There is something markedly different about how she dances and her friends. Actually my 3yr old has a better butt wiggle (her dancing is hilarious).

My understanding of my 11yr olds physical abilities is very different to when she was 3...

Anyway, none of that might be relevant to you, but sometimes things aren't quite how they seem.

Thanks for your feedback. My take on all of this: I just want to meet her needs for right now. She is, quite literally, climbing the walls and seeking more and more challenging physical activities to satisfy her. (She is definitely intellectually gifted too...at this point she is on the same trajectory as her PG brother...but now I have a much greater sense of what to do with that.) I have absolutely NO desire to be a "stage mom" or to even think about competitive anything for her. She's 3. I'm just looking for an outlet for her for now.

D
    D
    my kid (5) is starting to become quite serious about dance. i have no idea why, or if it will last, but one of the things that i love about her studio is that the older girls have a variety of body types and there are numerous streams of interest, from recreational, to company, to competitive.

cross-stream friendships are very common, and best of all, aside from pointe, it is strictly ability-grouped so the classes can include a range of ages. it is the one and only place DD can hang out with her true peers and not give it a second thought. nobody looks at her like she doesn't belong - because she just does. her dance teachers have helped her come to terms with her difference in the most matter-of-fact, lovely way: she is simply placed in the class she's ready for.

clearly, dance provides an amazing physical outlet for her, but really it's the sense of belonging that it's given her for which i'm most grateful. these incredible environments do exist - take a good look around - but you'll know it when you see it!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    P
    P
    She's 3, is that right? (I think someone above mentioned she's 3). If she's three, the GREAT news is that she's young, and if she *is* going to be athletically talented (and even if she isn't!), you've got lots of time to try out different sports and activities with her so she can find what she likes - plus - there will be a lot of different activities to choose from because lots and lots of 3 year olds (and preschool through early elementary kids) are active, exploring, climbing etc so there are usually more classes for younger kids in most sports *and* the classes at those early ages are usually set up so that there are beginning classes that children of any ability can fit into.

I have to agree though that with most kids, it's very difficult at three to predict where they will be re athletic talent when they are so very young - so I wouldn't worry about needing to get my child involved in dance or gymnastics etc simply because other people were telling me my child was physically gifted = the one exception to that I'd make might be if it was a gymnastics *coach* for example, who was telling me he'd never seen a 3 year old perform a cartwheel as flawlessly as my child who was endlessly performing cartwheels because she was so driven she just couldn't stop. What I would do, however, no matter *what* my child's ability or potential appeared to be (ie, physically gifted *or* a total klutz), is to try out different sports either through classes or with them, because even klutz's like myself enjoy and need to have physical activity as part of their lives.

To give some perspective re my own family's experience, none of my kids are genetically related to each other. One has coordination challenges in a big way. One is a bit of a klutz when it comes to the type of movement and coordination needed in dance but happily bulldozes her way through physically demanding sports that require high energy and stamina. My third child is and has always been obviously amazingly coordinated and flexible. When they were 3-6-7 years old, we did the same thing with all three - took them to different kinds of sports activities. They all tried soccer, gymnastics etc. They had different degrees of fun vs being totally unhappy with different sports - but none of it really correlated with where they are today, now that they are older, and now that it's obvious what their passions are. My child with the coordination problems has a sport he's really good at - no, not competitively good, but an individual sport that he enjoys. My dd who is not coordinated has the sports she is good at and loves (which don't require that dancing-type flexibility and coordination) *BUT* she also loves loves loves to dance and is part of a dance group and is accepted and enjoys it in spite of not being all that great at it. And my always-obviously-physically-adept child, at this point in time, I feel comfortable saying, yes, she's athletically gifted. She loves most all sports and excels at most anything physical she tries. The funny thing is, she has quite a few friends over the years who started in gymnastics at really early ages. Some of the "stage moms" I knew from gymnastics insisted that if you didn't start your child when they were little, they would never be competitive because they'd lose out on all those years of training and competition. I thought my dd would be really good at gymnastics because of her ability to flip and flex, but she tried gymnastics out (twice) with friends and it didn't click either time and she didn't look all that good lol when she was in gymn classes, so we never pursued it. Then all of a sudden when she turned 8, she decided she wanted to try a gymnastics camp - and guess what? She was still extremely flexible and coordinated but now she *wanted* to try it, and she's latched onto it, loves it, and has landed at pretty much exactly the same place (or farther along) than her friends who have been on gymnastics teams before they started school.

On another note, someone above mentioned their child was in a dance studio where all abilities and ages were welcomed - not all sports places are going to be like that *but* the good news about being young and able to try out different activities without pressure to achieve is that you'll have a good chance of finding a group like that, and they are worth their weight in gold - not just for not-so-talented athletes but even for really talented kids.

Last thought - whatever you have your dd try - have fun with it! It's such a fun age smile

Best wishes,

polarbear

M
    M
    My daughter is also 3. She sounds a lot like your daughter. We have her in ice skating and she really loves it. It's something that you can easily keep very recreational, or become more serious about if her interests go that direction. Something else to consider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM