Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Summer - I think this comparison chart relates only to the older IQ tests. Do you know if there's a more recent version that addresses the newer tests (e.g., SB-V)?

The chart is still valid because it is based upon the "defition of IQ" which has not changed. The difference is that the new tests have ceilings of around 160, so you essentially never see IQ test scores over 160 from the newer tests. Basically if the IQ score is over 145 the correlation on the chart could be considered a minimum.

How has the definition changed?

Squirt -
    Do you think subject acceleration would meet your childs needs and satisfy DH?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I don't know. Maybe it would work with a good homeroom teacher, if I could figure out how to get the school to do it. I mentioned it to the counselor and she said "no, we don't ever do that". The GT teacher said "but if we do that, then what would we teach him in 6th grade?". But, maybe with WIAT test scores? But, how do I use that as a tool?

Since I don't have any experience with this it is very hard to know what to ask them to do and what to expect. I guess this is just a last ditch effort on my part to get them to DO SOMETHING before I make a final decision to pull him.

He's almost 7 and doing 5th grade reading and 3rd-4th grade math (on ALEKS, he's on level 3.8).

This is an excerpt from the RatioIQvsDeviation IQ article:

Second, the �ratio IQ� may be more meaningful than a �deviation IQ� to families planning instruction. In selecting a textbook or a class it is more helpful to know that a seven-year-old is approximately four years beyond his or her age than to know that s/he is one in four hundred.

I agree! I look at those numbers such as 1/400 and think "but what does it mean IRL?" lol.

S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Dottie, what is STEP?

Ah I hadn't seen the diagnostic section of the JHU website. Is that what you meant by you can test any time? I was looking at the Talent Search and specific dates were listed.

So do I have this correct? You'd recommend WJIII to get feel for LOG but then the SCAT or STEP (is STEP your preference) to get handle on educational placement?

A
    A
    Dottie et al,

What do you think of MAPS testing? DD tests consistently 4 -5 grade levels up on them, but I wonder if that's simply because the standards are low? Any thoughts? (No GT denial, natch ?!

A
    A
    Dottie et al,

What do you think of MAPS testing? DD tests consistently 4 -5 grade levels up on them, but I wonder if that's simply because the standards are low? Any thoughts? (No GT denial, natch ?!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM