Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 15 of 131 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 130 131
    A
    A
    While playing in the sandbox at the park today, another parent asked me DS' age, to which DS breezily interjects, "I'm 20 months old." He then went on to make construction equipment noises while digging.

Earlier in the day, he made my heart melt by reaching up for a hug and saying with coquettishly blinking eyes and a big Cheshire Cat grin, "I am Mummy's sweetie pea." Is he ever!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    OP Offline
    DD is bemoaning her SAT scores. (Of course. This being perfectionism, a nearly perfect outing in Critical Reading has been diminished to "that math scores sucks like an industrial vacuum pump.")

Anyway-- she is at work and I'm texting with her--

She: So does this mean that I won't have to spend every Sunday for the rest of the summer prepping to take it again? wink

Me: Not unless your dad has decided that you MUST be assured entry into Harvard. laugh

LOL.

Let's put it this way-- I'm not thrilled with how low that math score was, either (it was just under 700), but the other two are so high it probably won't matter anywhere but CalTech, MIT, or an Ivy, and possibly not even there given her other... um... portfolio.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Q
    Q
    Howler Karma,

the SAT is certainly not an iq test; otherwise 1. There would be no reason to study and the test prep. companies would lose money
    2. The ceiling effect would be a major issue 3. Mensa and other organizations would be taking in a lot more students.

I'm sure your daughter can get in anywhere she likes! No worries.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    DS5 in the car this morning:

Mom, there is this food I want you to try that I made at school. It is French and it isn't even gross. It is called a crepe and it is like a burrito pancake thing. With it being French, you'd think they fill the middle with gross stuff like frogs and snails but they actually get this right. It is full of delicious things like fruit, sugar, cream and even chocolate!

OP Offline
    grin

Having spent time in Paris fairly recently, I can honestly say that not all of the stuff they eat there is suspect. wink But the crepes are particularly nice.

S
    S
    And Nutella. Don't forget Nutella...

OP Offline
    Precisely. My DD and I were in awe (well, it was almost like a trascendent religious experience, to tell the truth) at seeing Nutella in FIVE GALLON containers at most creperies.

Now, if I could only lay my hands on that amazing fluffy fresh goat cheese.... MMMMMMmmm.

Q
    Q
    Fantastic news--

My boyfriend recently found out he is MG (with an iq of 143).

He definitely seems more confident in his abilities, which makes me incredibly happy. I knew all along he would go far based on his writing alone!

D
    D
    DD5, upon waking this a.m.: "mummy! i am BEYOND starving this morning. i need SOMETHING TO FILL THE VOID!"

ps QT3 - that's amazing. my husband (obviously gifted, but never formally identified) is just discovering this, too. it's awesome to see someone bloom as an adult - it makes me feel like he may finally be able to lay aside a lot of his childhood baggage and truly embrace a new version of himself. so congrats to your boyfriend and hurray for his new confidence!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Q
    Q
    Hi doubtful guest:

Sounds like we are in a very similar situation! Your husband and my boyfriend probably never got the environment they needed/could thrive in as children and adolescents.

Personally, I know I had no confidence until I got my scores back; I knew I was somehow "different" yet my self-confidence was minimal.

I suppose it is never too late to discern what our gifts are and how we can use them.

Page 15 of 131 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM