Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Better to try, as long as it's not so traumatic that it instills fear in trying very difficult things (aka "perfectionism").
    FWIW, I think perfectionism is more easily instilled (was in me!) by never trying things that are too hard. But you the parent have to really, really believe it's OK to try and not succeed yet, and I take the point that this is lower stakes at home than at school (though I don't have virtual school experience and that must be interestingly different).

Originally Posted by 22B
    FWIW I think software can be pretty sophisticated at recognizing equivalent answers.
    Can be, sure - that's why I wrote "understandably" not "inevitably". It's still hard work to make it that sophisticated, though.

Originally Posted by 22B
    Is the software appealing to 7yo children. I'm looking for the most extremely elementary parts of set theory and logic (and maybe graph theory) just to be aware that these topics exist at all, because they're just not in his courses at all.
    It was to ours - not wildly so, but enough that it saw a fair bit of use over a year or so - but of course ymmv. He used to like, for example, making a set of sentences in this interface and challenging me to build a world that satisfied them all, and vice versa.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Have you considered math competitions? Even if DS doesn't want to compete, you may be able to find out about math enrichment opportunities in the UK. Try contacting someone at the UK Mathematics Trust: http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/about-us/.

Another option is Art of Problem Solving. In addition to courses, they have communities that might keep DS active in interesting math until he's ready for University: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by ohmathmom
    Have you considered math competitions? Even if DS doesn't want to compete, you may be able to find out about math enrichment opportunities in the UK. Try contacting someone at the UK Mathematics Trust: http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/about-us/.
    Yes! He's doing very nicely at these, thank you :-)

Originally Posted by ohmathmom
    Another option is Art of Problem Solving. In addition to courses, they have communities that might keep DS active in interesting math until he's ready for University: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/
    Also already in the mix. He's actually a couple of weeks into his first taught AOPS course now, and I'll post more about that when we both have a better idea about how it's going.

Thanks anyway :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by 22B
    One concern is I was wondering if taking university courses (while officially being a seconday school student) could disqualify you from competing in certain maths competitions.

This is a valid concern, I think, and the rules are quite likely to change given the fluidity of the current situation, so it's one to watch. For the IMO at present,
    Originally Posted by IMO
    Contestants must not have formally enrolled at a university or any other equivalent post-secondary
    institution, and they must have been born less than twenty years before the day of the second Contest
    paper.
    Unfortunately, "formally enrolled" is not further defined, though some countries (Canada turned up on my google) elucidate this as meaning enrolled on a degree-granting programme.

In another thread
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....Re_Ivy_League_Admissions.html#Post162766
    this link was posted
    http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/eugene_high_school_student_win.html
    Originally Posted by linked article
    Larson is a member of his school's math, chemistry and programming clubs. He won the silver medal at the International Math Olympiad in 2007, and since his freshman year he has taken all his math classes at the University of Oregon .
    Here "freshman" means 1st year high school -- 9th grade.
    So that's one data point that someone can take university maths courses and still go in the IMO.
    http://www.imo-official.org/participant_r.aspx?id=15882

M
    M
    DS finished his Extension 1 and 2 Higher School Certificate maths in Year 9 and it wasn't going to be an option that he go three years with no maths.

I spoke with the school and they acknowledged that it wasn't a suitable outcome so the Principal approached the local university and arrangements were made for him to enrol as a external student in a BSc. The agreement was he would concentrate on completing only mathematics units initially and as time progressed branch out as he desired.

He started with one unit per semester and attended residential schools where appicable.

As he completed further school subjects ahead of time he picked up more university units. By this time he was driving so he pretty much spent the last two years of school splitting his time between school and attending lectures on campus.

His enrolment at university did not affect his entering mathematics competitions here although he did lose interest in them so rarely entered.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    That's great to know, matmum! Australia seems a bit behind the mark when it comes to gifted education... Your son is lucky to have a supportive school. May I ask which state you are in?

M
    M
    Hey squishys,

We are in Northern NSW. My son attends UNE (University of New England). He was interviewed in 2008 and commenced in 2009. There was also another lad there from QLD doing a BSc majoring in Mathematics and he was 12y/o.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I'm in SA. That is great smile I hope my son's future high school will be as supportive (should it ever come to that).

M
    M
    We live in a small rural town so DS attended the local central school (public). It is K-12 with a middle school and I think that was the clincher to them being able to accommodate to his needs and those of his sister.

It wasn't easy for the school but they were happy to subject accelerate and timetable concurrently to achieve it. DD and DS chose subject acceleration over grade skipping.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM