Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    JonLaw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, this is certainly a very nice Psychology Today blog post:

"Last weekend I attended the Miss Massachusetts Pageant, after participating as a Judge the weekend before at the Miss New Jersey Pageant. The winner of the Massachusetts pageant, Amanda Narciso, had been first runner-up for the past two years and made two previous attempts at the crown. Trying five times to reach your dream certainly proves you have resiliency—an important skill for kids today as I have discussed here at Psychology Today before—but competitive activities like pageants prove something else: that you are a young person with ambition.

Some may be surprised that today’s youth need to “prove” they are ambitious, but it’s easy to say you have high aspirations and quite another to show you are taking concrete steps to pursue big dreams. In researching Playing to Win: Raising Children in a Competitive Culture I spoke with several admissions officers at Ivy League schools who explained why extracurricular activities (like pageants, sports, student government, the arts, etc.) are so important.

Ivies are looking for smart students with a great deal of ambition. But it is hard to measure ambition. Participation in activities—and awards and leadership earned through participation—are a proxy for that ambition. The specific activities are less important; what matters is that you play a sport or seriously participate in an activity such as debate or drama. Additionally, students should also engage in more than one activity, perhaps playing an instrument or be part of a Model United Nations team, volunteering or competing in dance competitions or pageants. This shows curiosity, a diversity of interests and willingness to explore and learn new things.

What elite and competitive colleges and universities are looking for are ambitious individuals who are not afraid to take risks. When freshmen get to campus they will be exposed to new activities and academic disciplines. Admissions officers want to create a campus full of ambitious kids who are willing to try swimming or journalism or glee club or anthropology for the first time. So to be admitted you can’t do just one thing; you need to show you are flexible and versatile. Of course, you are still expected to excel, in academics first and foremost, but you must be willing to try other things as well.

According to sociologist Mitchell Stevens, in his study of college admissions at an elite, private liberal arts college, “Families fashion an entire way of life organized around the production of measurable virtue in children.” Efforts to create this quantifiable virtue in children have led to the creation of a second shift for kids, which in turn has created what I call competitive kid capital, described in another Psychology Today post."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/playing-win/201307/measuring-ambition-in-today-s-youth

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    What do you mean by "nice"?

Val Offline
    Quantifiable virtue, huh? Umm, okay.

While it’s now summertime and children should take the opportunity to recharge, it’s not a bad idea to find ways to strategize about getting involved in new activities that can help measure and quantify ambition and achievement during the coming school year.

I always want these things to be tongue-in-cheek, but I know they aren't. People take this stuff seriously. frown

P
    P
    Being involved in lots of extramural activities shows you have enough money to a) pay for extramural activities and b) you can afford to not get a part time job after school or in the holidays and therefore have time for said activities, which leads to c) you have enough money to pay their fees.

JonLaw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    What do you mean by "nice"?

When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more, nor less.

http://sabian.org/looking_glass6.php

Was anyone else amused that the winner of a beauty pageant was named, "Narciso"?

If the Ivies were really looking for resiliency and ambition, they wouldn't be recruiting at beauty pageants, they'd be recruiting in the inner cities.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Was anyone else amused that the winner of a beauty pageant was named, "Narciso"?

Very much so! (almost posted that question then figured I was overthinking it; glad I'm not alone)

JonLaw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    If the Ivies were really looking for resiliency and ambition, they wouldn't be recruiting at beauty pageants, they'd be recruiting in the inner cities.

That's actually incorrect.

Escaping your roots comes with the cost of significant physical stress that causes physical damage to body systems, so you are less healthy than a standard-issue UMC-er.

That's actually incorrect.

Escaping your roots comes with the cost of significant physical stress that causes physical damage to body systems, so you are less healthy than a standard-issue UMC-er.

I think someone used to the stress of living each day in fear of physical danger and failure to meet basic needs would probably see a stress reduction and health improvement in university life, wouldn't you?

What all these extracurricular activities really highlight is a student's resilience to an Ivy's price tag, and that's what they're really recruiting for.

JonLaw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    If someone used to the stress of living each day in fear of physical danger and failure to meet basic needs would probably see a stress reduction and health improvement in university life, wouldn't you?

My point is that going against the social milieu causes physical damage to the body, I suppose because you are in actual rebellion against the social system in which you are born and raised.

There's an actual study on this matter, I just don't know where it is.

Harvard is looking for people who are most likely to bring glory and massive future cash flow to Harvard.

If they had to give everyone free rides to do this, they probably would, but that's not reality, so they don't have to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM