Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 195 of 268 1 2 193 194 195 196 197 267 268
    L
    L
    DS4.5 used to have a hard time answering questions when he wasn't sure of the answer. I've been working on it with him, and the other day at the science museum, he was very good about answering my questions ("How do you think this works?" type ones) and guessing when he wasn't sure.

He's also been insisting we take his training wheels off, even though he doesn't ride his bicycle that often. We took them off of his smaller bike (safer for falling, I figured) and he rode several feet right off the bat. He then really caught on when hubby would push him down a grassy hill and let go.

DD17-months has decided she's ready for potty training and was dry all day yesterday.

Last edited by lilmisssunshine; 07/01/13 04:05 AM.
    A
    A
    DS20mo just decoded his first word today!!

We were watching "Between the Lions" together and sounding out a few of the harder words when "hot" appeared on the screen and he blurted out "HOT! h-o-t"--before the show or I could read it. (I just love how he sounded it out loud *after* saying the word, as if wanting to prove, "hey, I know how this phonics stuff works!")

He was clearly thrilled to crack the word and ran around the house chirping "hot: h-o-t!" for a full 15 minutes. Of course I made a big deal of it, complete with a goofy happy dance. Grandparents were also called, and he told Grandma "I read hot!" proudly. The achievement is quite a breakthrough, as he's been sounding out letters for several months but, more than that, I love his satisfaction and excitement!! Way to go DS, you little firecracker!

ETA: He read several other words throughout the day-- he seems to be enjoying himself.

D
    D
    YAY! so cool.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    M
    M
    DS3.3's new favorite sight word ... "determination" ... I like that choice! lol

A
    A
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    YAY! so cool.

Thanks! It's so neat to see the process unfold as DS is our first child.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    DS3.3's new favorite sight word ... "determination" ... I like that choice! lol

That's an excellent choice of word! I'll bet it's reflective of his personality.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Q
    Q
    really exciting news: I found a way to write Newton's three equations using only Poisson Brackets. I spent the past two weeks studying quantum mechanics from a textbook. I feel really good knowing that hard work and determination really can pay off if you stay motivated!

A
    A
    I really don't think my toddler is "highly gifted" but he isn't developing typically, either. I have found that I really can't share his accomplishments on forums like facebook no matter how much I try to downplay them (sad that I have to). He's 30 months and has been writing all his letters and numerals for months and months now. He has a few sight words. He writes upper and lower case and writes his name and words unprompted and today wrote his grandmother a card spelling out "happy birthday [her name] love [his name]." Just thought it was awesome! Thanks smile

M
    M
    no "big" accomplishments, just a funny one smile DS3.3 was playing with an alphabet puzzle and telling me what starts with each letter and when we got to letter "O" I said "what starts with O?" (expecting his usual ostrich or octopus or orange) and instead he looks at me, smiles and says "O for oops!" smile

L
    L
    I am new, I love this idea as I am sure my family are sick of hearing about Miss 5. This week I decided to start filling the gaps of school and began a discussion about fractions while she was having toast. So she became aware of fractions and equivalent fractions using quarters and halves, then the next day, she asked for me to cut her toast into eighths.... we hadn't even discussed them. She blows our minds daily. Thanks for listening smile

Page 195 of 268 1 2 193 194 195 196 197 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM