Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #16078 05/16/08 05:04 AM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline

Quite succesful but quite tiring for me as well....

The last day of holidays DD asked if she HAD to go the school. So we proposed her a deal: she can stay home BUT she has to do some 'actividades' with me while DS has his nap. She agreed inmediately.
    She has not asked once about school mates or the teacher.

I explained to her that she can stop now because it seems that she was not happy at that school and while we look for better solution for next year she can stay home - with the condition that she learns something each day.

I had to remind her a few times the deal and that I cannot play with her the whole day.

She has almost completely stopped playing the 'little 2-years old girly' and seems more relaxed.

I am tired though.... any advice on time management would be appreciated smile

Isa #16084 05/16/08 06:52 AM
    Do you have any childcare help? That would be my first suggestion. I couldn't get through my week without some time to myself, and with two HIGHLY actve kids, I'd never get time alone without someone to watch them.

Is there anything she loves to do that she could lose herself in without needing your attention? Even something you don't normally allow (computer time?) might be okay in small doses if you can use it as a tool to help your day work for you. Perhaps as a reward for her doing something independently?

Projects that are hers alone are ideal. Artwork, puzzles, books, playing outside, anything she can do mostly alone, with just a little help or encouragement from you, are good. That way you have the energy to help her on the stuff for which she really needs you.

At her age, it's okay if she spends much of her day playing. Try to give her the tools and supplies she needs to make her play independent and imaginative or educational in some form. But it's perfectly okay if most of a 4yo's day is spent in play. (As long as you don't have to spend all day playing with her!)

So aside from tired--and I *so* hear you on that, sister!--how are you feeling about it?

Kriston
    Isa, I have a few ideas, but I can't remember, is she writing and reading independently?
    What level is she doing in math?
    Neato

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Congratulations, Isa! What an exciting undertaking! She'll probably get to be more independent with time, doncha think? (I say that and it's my oldest who takes up most of my time!)

Keep us posted.

cym #16096 05/16/08 08:46 AM
    Congrats on surviving the first week. I'm sure it'll take some adjustment and trial and error. I hope the others can give you some useful advice.

Dazey

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Finally ... both are sleeping .... at the same time ... shhhhhhh

Thanks a lot for your answers. I really need the support smile

Ok, now some answers on my side:

Kriston: No I do not have any childcare, babysitter, or even grandma (appart from visits of course) to help. I definitively have to look for some place where to put DS for two half days. The problem is that I am still thinking what would be the best for him. I am pretty certain that he is as gifted, but 'how much'? I think that I could find what fits him better if I wait to see his LOG. On the other hand I need the time NOW. I guess the best is to look for some mom who would take care of him. This is called 'gastouder' here.

About DD spending time alone: when she has had some intelletual challenge or 'feeding' she can play on her own, but not alone (in her room for example). So she may play in the dinning area for example while I do the dinner in the kitchen. The problem is that DS then wants to play with her and 'help' by throwing the puzzles or colors or destroying her beautiful set up with her little figures. Or even worse, he plays on his own ... the gardener, the explorer, the climber....

About the time spent in 'learning' - that is, doing academicish stuff, it is quite short, while DS has his nap. The rest of the time is playing time, with lots of 'whys' in between of course.

And appart from mega tired, I feel relieved that she does not have to go back to an environment where she was unlearning frown
    Would you believe that now she refuses to draw anything claiming that she does not know how?

At least now she is back at being interested into watching documentary movies about animals and not Little Ponys and more Little Ponys...

Neato: no, she is not reading yet. She knows about half of the alphabet (in spaninsh), capital and lower-case, name and sound and can read a few words. I could say that I am trying to teach her to read, but a better description would be that I am helping her to teach herself to read.

About math, in counting and arithmetics she is starting to work at first grade more or less (appart from the fact that she tends to do the sums in her head). In other areas like abstract reasoning (grouping and differentiating) or pre-algebra (series of colors and shapes) she is doing workboks at home for 6-7 yrs old and she does them easily the first with a 'little bit' of effort the second. I have the feeling that she just need a little push to take off and start working at grade 2 or higher.

I really miss to have some text books in Spanish but I cannot find them here obviously.

Everyone: thanks a lot for the encouragment smile

Isa #16149 05/17/08 12:57 PM
    Are you in an area with a university? Students often have some regularly scheduled time during weekdays when they can be available, the cost is often lower because they're willing to give up a little money in order to gain some flexibility with scheduluing, and if you get someone who is interested in a subject that your daughter loves, you can get some educational time out of the deal as well. It's also nice to have the help at your home. Then you could work with your daughter while the sitter watched your son, or you could just get out of the house and have some time to yourself if you need it.

I'd start there if possible.

Take care of yourself. Remember the advice from an airplane: put the oxygen mask on yourself before you try to help others. It's a great analogy for parenting, especially when homeschooling!

smile

Kriston
    Yes, congrats, Isa. I'm sure this will get easier and easier, but it is a good bit of work!
    I know several people who are adamantly against kids learning independently on a computer, but it works really well for my girls for limited amounts of time. Perhaps the kids could do maybe a quarter of their work via computer programs during the day, this might free you up a little.
    Personally I think there are wonderful online programs and software for learning.
    Another question, are the children learning in english? Forgive my memory, I know Dutch they are not fluent in but I couldn't remember about English. If so, I have some specific links I could give you that you may like.
    Neato

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline

Hi Neato,

Learning language is Spanish. DD understands quite a bit of English but does not speak it yet. We want to put her an English teacher and the suggestion of Kriston of using University students is a very good suggestion (thanks Kriston).

About the computer, I have been looking myself for something that teaches letters and easy words, but it has to be in Spanish,. Ah! And for Mac, not Windows.

We were thinking of getting a Wii and I am wondering if there were educative programs that DD could use... I think I am going to check....

Isa #16180 05/17/08 10:06 PM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM