Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #161408 06/30/13 07:38 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    So I am going to start shopping for a new school for ds6. What are the best questions to ask and the best answers to look for? DS has no 2e issues and is very social. Thanks!r

M
    M
    We ended up choosing the principle who was honest, she won us with "nope, I've never seen a number like that, we've got no programs, no history, lets do what the research says..." It's not been perfect but she has continued to be direct, honest and committed to working on solutions. Which is more than we had at DDs previous school.

I happen to be in agreement with Val and MoN. Let your, er-- cynicism be your guide, as that ludicrous Disney cricket probably never intended to say, but should have.

When you hear platitudes, make the next thing that comes out of your mouth be...

"Oh? What do you mean?"

or

"That sounds {positive adjective of choice}. Can you give me some specific examples?"

If you get an enthusiastic-- or thoughtful-- response which doesn't sound rehearsed or put-upon, that's a good sign. If you get hemming and hawing, or more platitudes... RUN.

I've also learned that "We have a lot of experience with kids way outside the mainstream" can be code for "we have a lot of kids with very serious behavioral/conduct issues." Just a head's up on that one.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 07/01/13 08:25 AM. Reason: This post required more caffeine.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    S
    I agree with pp, that at age 6, and considering your ds is happy, you have some time.

When my son became unhappy in school, we looked around at other schools (and a grade skip) to see our options, then scheduled a meeting with the principals.
    We explained where my son tested on ability tests (didn't give the IQ number) and asked what they could do to challenge him. Then the principals either rose to the occasion or put their foot in their mouth.

We looked at one gifted middle school where the principal said she didn't care how gifted a kid was, she had never met a kid who needed a grade skip. She went on to say that she couldn't guarantee our son's safety as a grade skipper. She said it would be too hard for the teachers to offer any differentiation. She admitted she'd never read any research on grad skips (this was a principal at a gifted school!!). Obviously he didn't go to that school.

The principal at the school he's going to next year said all the right things. He said he was exactly like my son growing up, and he completely understood why we were shopping around, since that's what his parents did. When I asked about challenge, considering my son would be more advanced than their middle school math curriculum, the principal said he needed to do some research and get back to me. A week later, he called and said he'd talked to the math director who agreed (after looking at my son's math work) that my son was more advanced than the school, but he promised he'd have sufficiently challenging curriculum or else they'd set up AoPs for him at his new school. The principal said he's trying to attract kids like my son to his school, so he wanted to do what it takes to educate him correctly. (This is a STEM school.) I loved this principal's answers and believe he's going to follow through (fingers crossed!).

So the questions:
    - how do you ensure every kid is challenged?
    - what do you do when a kid already knows the curriculum?
    - how do you measure growth and how do you ensure he grows at least a year in a year's time?

G
    G
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Originally Posted by syoblrig
    She went on to say that she couldn't guarantee our son's safety as a grade skipper.

How can principals say this? They don't have control of their own school? I understand that things happen that make school less than ideally safe, but really, the principal is aware of a safety problem and is helpless to deal with it? Even prison wardens can do better than that!
    I had a conversation with DD's MS principal a few months ago about DDs accelerations.

For contrast, the principal brought up the things she'd want to put in place to ensure DD's safety for when she goes to the HS in 8th grade for math and science. She ticked off 3-4 things she'd want to consider (physical classroom setting, a teacher who understands and respects kids like DD, a hand-picked student esc*rt through the building, and something else I'm not remembering). This is something that will happen 3 years from now.

Last edited by geofizz; 07/01/13 10:37 AM. Reason: esc-ort marked as SPAM. Really, this is just a person to walk her from room to room

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM