Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 34 of 268 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 267 268
    Originally Posted by LMom
    DS6 solved the following problem yesterday

How many digits does a number 2^k - 1 written as a binary number have?

There are days when I seriously worry that filling out gaps in the 5th grade math (we homeschool) bores him to death.

Wow! That is SOOOOO cool! smile He's such an amazing kid.

Kriston
    In so many ways, computer ed and math should be taught together. I teach both right now. Binary and Hexadecimal are great for kids and especially when it can be explained how they are used for computer translation. When I was a programmer, I practically forgot how to use decimal math.

Using formulas in excel and showing information in charts is important also. Stats are so important today.

WOW Lmom - that is fantastic!

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    It sounds like you have your work cut out for you Lmom! That is very impressive!

Mr W helped me boil eggs this weekend. We keep the boiled eggs in the fridge on a shelf ina bowl that is on a separate shelf from the raw eggs in their store foam container.

Mr W likes to play in the fridge and is very careful when handling things. But he broke a raw egg and I hand to clean it up. He found it fascinating.

This evening DW told me that one of her boiled eggs she took for lunch was RAW!!

He must have moved one raw one to the cooked bowl when I was not looking!!!!!

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Ellipses
    In so many ways, computer ed and math should be taught together. I teach both right now. Binary and Hexadecimal are great for kids and especially when it can be explained how they are used for computer translation. When I was a programmer, I practically forgot how to use decimal math.

Using formulas in excel and showing information in charts is important also. Stats are so important today.

I agree 100%!!! My freshman year in college, both my calculus classes were completely computer based. I was completely lost b/c I had no real computer experience (other than, at the time, word processing programs, spreadsheets, etc).

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Mr W helped me boil eggs this weekend. We keep the boiled eggs in the fridge on a shelf ina bowl that is on a separate shelf from the raw eggs in their store foam container.

Mr W likes to play in the fridge and is very careful when handling things. But he broke a raw egg and I hand to clean it up. He found it fascinating.

This evening DW told me that one of her boiled eggs she took for lunch was RAW!!

He must have moved one raw one to the cooked bowl when I was not looking!!!!!

Did DW open it to find out it was raw or knew already? I bet the reaction, if she attempted to crack it open, was priceless! wink wink

Originally Posted by JJsMom
    Did DW open it to find out it was raw or knew already? I bet the reaction, if she attempted to crack it open, was priceless! wink wink

He dropped one of the raw ones and saw it break and was fascinated. I am not sure when he moved the raw egg to the boiled ones as he would have to take it out of the foam container and I never saw him take the one he broke out, either. He has been around us cooking since he was 2 mos old so I think he knows which is raw and which is not. Because he does like to sort stuff, I am not sure it was a deliberate practical joke. He is very helpful so maybe he wanted to help mom.

He has been throwing stuff off the patio lately. We stopped him one day. So, his solution was to pull his lego trailer to the end of the patio where we cannot see him directly and he threw most of the 2 and 3 hole legos over board. So, he knows how to be sneaky!

Last night he was dancing around during DWTS. He did a pretty good waltz.

M
    M
    Toddler dancing is one of the great, great joys of life, Austin! (Preschooler dancing is pretty good, too--Chico loves to tango!)

Harpo is turning 8 next week, and has been discussing his celebration with me in some detail (menu, guests, and so on); he's decided he wants Italian food (he specified gamberi, salad, garlic toast, gnocchi, and a cassata torte--gotta hide the cookbooks from that kid!). Groucho (5 nearly 6) was groaning a bit about the food (he's a sausage and mashed potatoes kind of a guy), so Harpo tried to defend his choices by appealing to Chico (3 nearly 4): "what elements do you think constitute an appropriate birthday dinner, Chico?", to which Chico replied, "Selenium?"

They do make me laugh!

peace
    minnie

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Minnie, that made me smile and has brightened up my day smile

Page 34 of 268 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM