Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 193 of 268 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 267 268
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    DD10 just got a letter in the mail from Belin Blank Talent Center that she has been invited to their Recognition Ceremony in the Fall for her EXPLORE test results.

I don't know if we can go to the ceremony or not, but we are excited about the recognition.

Congrats!!!!

K
    K
    Wonderful!

K
    K
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Here are some of DD9's lyrics:

"When I was alone with you,
    I could have sworn my smile could fill the world.
    But then you left me there in an empty room
    With nothin' to look at but a blank wall after you.

Every night I dream
    About you and me walkin' away arm in arm...me and you.
    But dreams--you can't make them come true.
    And you left me there in an empty room
    With nothin' to look at but a blank wall after you."

There were notes and scribble-outs in there that made it pretty clear she had written this herself, but I confess that I actually Googled this to see if it was plagiarized--doesn't seem to be at all.

Beautiful.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    DD10 just got a letter in the mail from Belin Blank Talent Center that she has been invited to their Recognition Ceremony in the Fall for her EXPLORE test results.

I don't know if we can go to the ceremony or not, but we are excited about the recognition.

Comgrats to your DD!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Ultramarina, those are soulful lyrics your daughter wrote.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    My DS6 had his first algebra test and received 100%! What really surprised me was how he downplayed his achievement- usually he is quite boastful lol.

That's great, Squishys!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Thanks, HowlerKarma. It makes me happy to see him happy. I found the award for his achievement in his bag after he had gone to bed. He was still awake so I went in and gave him a big kiss and said congrats, and he just had such a sweet little smile of, like, "Aww shucks, mum". So cute smile

C
    C
    I love reading all these posts...well I admit I didn't read all 195 pages but quite a few. I'm not sure that my girls are in the same league but they still amaze me so I'm still going to brag. My youngest DD2.8 started sounding out words about 4 months ago and now she is reading quite well as long as it is a fairly phonetic word or a few she has memorized. My older DD5 started also at about 27-28 months but stopped then until she read fluently at 35-36 months. DD5 was reading books like Wizard of Oz, james and the giant peach etc well before kindergarten so I am proud that she made it through the entire kindergarten year without hating it despite learning pretty much nothing. Thankfully they did a lot of art. We are on to 1st grade now and I hope they start differentiating for her next year because it didn't happen this year.

DD finished her junior year of high school (at 13yo) with a grade-point-average of 4.47 on the year, and a cumulative GPA of 4.33-- obviously weighted with honors and AP. She is just plain good at EVERYTHING she does academically.

Living in the day to day, it's easy to forget how extraordinary she is. Pictures from last weekend's graduation really brought this home to me, though-- pictures of my DD standing with her four school best-friends-- who were #1, 2, and 3 of THIS year's graduating class, and the likely #1 in the class of 2015 (also the younger sibling of #1 '13). My DD is, in spite of being so young for grade, one of those kids. Actually, the two sibs are both young for grade, too, just not AS young for grade as DD. She's likely to be in the top 3 of her graduating class next year, and there are a lot of VERY sharp kids in that group-- moreso than either of the other two years, in fact. This year's #1 is going to an elite college on a 100% merit scholarship. Definitely bright kids; it's an amazing photo of the five of them. I have every expectation that all of them will be success stories, and two of the five have significant disability-related challenges, which makes that picture all the more special to me.

She really is a natural wonder, my daughter. She really is that rare and special. :awe:

While I would never tell her that, it does me some good to stand in awe of WHAT she is on occasion. smile It reminds me that all of my advocacy is about nurturing/protecting that amazing treasure. Like John Muir championing Yosemite Valley or something.

Other cool things lately:

1. DD was elected the president of her NHS chapter for the coming year.

2. She was ELATED and ENERGIZED by her first day of 'work' at her computer science internship on a university campus-- on her 14th birthday, no less. No complaints from her. That was her favorite birthday present. She loves her faculty advisor, and has already made a favorable impression for her superhuman reading speed and comprehension. She polished off three research papers and a review article yesterday in just a few hours. Evidently that was a first-- to the point that the supervising grad students challenged her, but she explained everything in short order without batting an eyelash. wink She has really enjoyed discussing IRB considerations for human subjects and how those differ from those for animal subjects (with me, I mean-- I have years of experience with IACUC/IRB at various institutions).

In other words, she's taken to the research environment like a duck to water and is pretty much incandescent with glee over it all. Exactly like a kid in a candy store. It's a JOY to watch her spread her wings. cool

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 193 of 268 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM