Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 249 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Jenny04, JamesD, SandyC8, Fer, Dilan294335
    10865 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30 31
    Page 194 of 263 < 1 2 ... 192 193 194 195 196 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #160113 - 06/13/13 07:10 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    coveln Offline

I love reading all these posts...well I admit I didn't read all 195 pages but quite a few. I'm not sure that my girls are in the same league but they still amaze me so I'm still going to brag. My youngest DD2.8 started sounding out words about 4 months ago and now she is reading quite well as long as it is a fairly phonetic word or a few she has memorized. My older DD5 started also at about 27-28 months but stopped then until she read fluently at 35-36 months. DD5 was reading books like Wizard of Oz, james and the giant peach etc well before kindergarten so I am proud that she made it through the entire kindergarten year without hating it despite learning pretty much nothing. Thankfully they did a lot of art. We are on to 1st grade now and I hope they start differentiating for her next year because it didn't happen this year.

#160452 - 06/18/13 12:57 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HowlerKarma Offline

DD finished her junior year of high school (at 13yo) with a grade-point-average of 4.47 on the year, and a cumulative GPA of 4.33-- obviously weighted with honors and AP. She is just plain good at EVERYTHING she does academically.

Living in the day to day, it's easy to forget how extraordinary she is. Pictures from last weekend's graduation really brought this home to me, though-- pictures of my DD standing with her four school best-friends-- who were #1, 2, and 3 of THIS year's graduating class, and the likely #1 in the class of 2015 (also the younger sibling of #1 '13). My DD is, in spite of being so young for grade, one of those kids. Actually, the two sibs are both young for grade, too, just not AS young for grade as DD. She's likely to be in the top 3 of her graduating class next year, and there are a lot of VERY sharp kids in that group-- moreso than either of the other two years, in fact. This year's #1 is going to an elite college on a 100% merit scholarship. Definitely bright kids; it's an amazing photo of the five of them. I have every expectation that all of them will be success stories, and two of the five have significant disability-related challenges, which makes that picture all the more special to me.

She really is a natural wonder, my daughter. She really is that rare and special. :awe:

While I would never tell her that, it does me some good to stand in awe of WHAT she is on occasion. smile It reminds me that all of my advocacy is about nurturing/protecting that amazing treasure. Like John Muir championing Yosemite Valley or something.

Other cool things lately:

1. DD was elected the president of her NHS chapter for the coming year.

2. She was ELATED and ENERGIZED by her first day of 'work' at her computer science internship on a university campus-- on her 14th birthday, no less. No complaints from her. That was her favorite birthday present. She loves her faculty advisor, and has already made a favorable impression for her superhuman reading speed and comprehension. She polished off three research papers and a review article yesterday in just a few hours. Evidently that was a first-- to the point that the supervising grad students challenged her, but she explained everything in short order without batting an eyelash. wink She has really enjoyed discussing IRB considerations for human subjects and how those differ from those for animal subjects (with me, I mean-- I have years of experience with IACUC/IRB at various institutions).

In other words, she's taken to the research environment like a duck to water and is pretty much incandescent with glee over it all. Exactly like a kid in a candy store. It's a JOY to watch her spread her wings. cool

#160593 - 06/19/13 03:00 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    La Texican Offline

Loc: South Texas
    We're starting the "Writing With Ease" homeschool writing course. I gave my five year old the book with the page open to copy the sentence, "The deer and the rabbits would be shy and swift." He took over an hour. The teacher at school said he wasn't doing his work she gave him so every so often I said, "Come on. Don't take all day. Why do you have to be told a hundred times to do your work. The teacher's not going to tell you a hundred times. If you have to do your work just do it." (He's a staller on a lot of things.)
    He finally got it done. I started to read the "explain to your student" part- these sentences are from the book Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingles Wilder about a family in Wisconsin...
    He said, "I know. I already read that part." I said, which part? He pointed to the whole two pages. Oh. He took so long writing the sentence because he was busy reading about how to teach kids grammer. lol

#160621 - 06/20/13 06:27 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HowlerKarma Offline

That's great, La Tex!

#160714 - 06/20/13 08:01 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    mountainmom2011 Offline

Taught my 7 yo dd to play chess today. I only had to go through the pieces once. She immediately got the game and how it worked. We have only played 2 games so far but she is catching on quick! I'm really impressed that I haven't had to re-explain any pieces/movement at all. She even set the board up all by herself on the second game without any help from me.

#160874 - 06/24/13 12:22 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: HowlerKarma]
    bluemagic Offline

Wonderful. It's great to hear how well your daughter is doing.

#160963 - 06/25/13 04:11 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Zen Scanner Offline

Loc: NC
    DS7 really wanted a math camp, so we signed up for one at the local university. The site said they did placement testing the first day, but they placed him in the grade placement (rising third) without testing. He rated the first day a 5 out of 10, but spoke up himself at the end of yesterday and got himself into the rising 6th grade pre-algebra group for today and rated it a ten!

#161254 - 06/28/13 10:52 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    ultramarina Offline

DS5 got skipped!

wink No, not really. He got skipped in swim lessons. We weren't sure which one to enroll him in, but he WAS missing some key skills (back float, for instance) so we put him in a pretty easy level. Holy cow, did he ever improve. The swim instructor, young and a bit green, could NOT stop gushing about him all week long. ("He's the STAR! He's just INCREDIBLE!") She told me after the last lesson that he should definitely skip the next level, although they don't usually allow that.

The thing is, I don't think he's unusually skilled at swimming compared to other things. What he has that his sister doesn't has is the ability to use his smarts to immediately learn new physical skills, such that he just catches on to anything athletic very fast. The mind-body thing translates (I envy this; I don't have it.) He likes it all. Anything. Whatever. I still think of the time we went to a festival where they were selling (light, not heavy wooden) boomerangs. DS was 4 at the time and really wanted to try. The guy was like...sigh...okay (obviously humoring him). He showed DS the technique and how it worked and how to throw it, robotically. DS picked up the boomerang and did it perfectly the first time. I thought the dude was going to fall over.

#161257 - 06/28/13 11:03 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    KJP Offline

DS5 is LOVING summer school. This is the first time he has gone to school all day and I was worried it would be too much. Apparently I had no reason to worry. He is having so much fun that he has asked to stay late and not get picked up until 5:30!

The summer curriculum is full of field trips, visits from experts, special projects and hours of outdoor playtime.

Today a beekeeper is coming to talk to his class and he was so excited he couldn't get to school fast enough.

#161389 - 06/29/13 08:44 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    La Texican Offline

Loc: South Texas
    dd 2 yrs. 9 mo. has written several letters on my walls and drumset

Page 194 of 263 < 1 2 ... 192 193 194 195 196 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Queen's Gambit, chess, and gifted children
    by mithawk
    Yesterday at 09:52 PM
    A Progressive Assault on Selective High Schools
    by Eagle Mum