Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 12 of 131 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 130 131
    Val Offline
    Remember when you were a young kid and you'd be out with Mom and/or Dad they'd bump into an adult friend? You'd have to stand there amusing yourself while they talked about boring stuff.

I was out recently with DD8 and we bumped into an adult I knew and her 7-year-old. We were talking about random stuff and DD joined the conversation and made meaningful contributions. I didn't realize what was going on until I noticed that the 7-year-old was bouncing around amusing herself waiting for the conversation to end.

Okay, DD8 doesn't always join in adult conversations and also has to amuse herself at times, but she does join in reasonably often.

HG+ kids really are different.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Lines you wouldn't normally expect to hear a 1.5yo say when playing with a medieval castle play set include: "Drawbridge up! Dissidents in jail!"
    Impressive. I doubt that most adults know what a "dissident" is.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Lines you wouldn't normally expect to hear a 1.5yo say when playing with a medieval castle play set include: "Drawbridge up! Dissidents in jail!"
    Impressive. I doubt that most adults know what a "dissident" is.

I suppose the concept is a familiar one to him...his mother is a bit of a rabble-rousing iconoclast. wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by 1111
    DS 3.5 was studying one of his cars and I kept pointing out facts about something unrelated. Finally he got fed up and said in an irritating, firm voice "Stop bothering me with details".

Priceless, 1111! Does he know the word "inanity" yet? In our house, if someone goes off on a useless tangent, his/her interlocutor can say "inanity" to veto the rest of the conversation (err...monologue).

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    That's so cool re LMS, HK smile

DD6 was kicking around in her room, looking through toy boxes, and started playing with her barrel of monkeys. She decided they were good examples for how atoms join together to make molecules, and made the red ones nitrogen, blue ones oxygen, yellow hydrogen and carbon etc, and strung them together to make h2o and some other made-up things smile

C
    C
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    That's so cool re LMS, HK smile

DD6 was kicking around in her room, looking through toy boxes, and started playing with her barrel of monkeys. She decided they were good examples for how atoms join together to make molecules, and made the red ones nitrogen, blue ones oxygen, yellow hydrogen and carbon etc, and strung them together to make h2o and some other made-up things smile

Get that kid a molecule making kit! Seriously.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    A
    A
    Yep, we're way behind the 8-ball as always but have been looking some up online! laugh

DD8 conducted a series of "scientific" experiments on Minecraft yesterday, in creative mode.

First, she built the tallest pillar the game would allow her to build. At specific intervals along the pillar she placed trap doors. Then she spawned a creature on the topmost trap door, opened that door and each below in turn, and counted the number of doors each creature fell onto before it finally died. The results were recorded on signs posted near the top of the pillar.

She was quite affronted that the witch didn't die (it used healing potions in between doors), so DD repeated that and all subsequent experiments with a lava pool on the bottom.

The next set of experiments involved structures built of TNT, underground and above ground, sometimes filled with villagers and animals.

Z
    Z
    Heh, heh, diggin the scientific Minecraft. Glad DS7 isn't the only one with a gruesome sense of scientific humor. We've been fans of Phineas and Ferb for a while, and play a game of science gone wrong with Dr. Doofenschmirtz as the star. Typically we end up with real science... like "ooo... my Saltinator 3000 is almost ready. Ah there's the missing ingredients, 'Do It Yourself Salt', quite the bargain! OK, I'll just open the chlorine bottle... oh wait, the sodium has oil all over it, I better take that to the bath tub and wash it off first...."

D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    DD13 is doing an analysis of the existentialist themes in...

Little Miss Sunshine.

For AP Literature. She feels that this film has a LOT to say about how humans perceive and interact with reality. There is much in common with Oscar Wilde's take on things, she has patiently explained to me.

Yes, it absolutely does! I would love to read her take on it!

Page 12 of 131 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM