Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Thank you, Dude. That's what I face all the time: people get so defensive and infer whatever they want from one person choosing to be veg*n.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Perfectly put, Cricket2.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I have to think that cat must taste just dreadful, too, given how seldom it appears in traditional world cuisines. sick

I wouldn't be too quick to that conclusion. Our dietary practices often have more to do with emotion than with taste or nutrition.

Cats were revered in ancient Egypt, and that culture was spread through the Romans.

We also have a tendency to avoid eating things that are cute. This is a major reason why rabbit isn't more commonly consumed.

Finally... purring.

Originally Posted by SiaSL
    I have never butchered or eaten a cat either wink so all second hand (or worse) anecdotes. But those stories are old and lively.

Yeah, I have wondered about the issue of taste too (obligate carnivore vs. herbivore seem unlikely to be that close). But frogs taste a lot like chicken (and chicken are not exclusive herbivore) and... if nobody can 'fess up to cat, what about alligator?

Gator is a delight. It's a white meat, but it doesn't taste like chicken, though since I've only had it in sausage form, other results may vary.

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    This really can't and shouldn't be about who has the moral high ground here.

I'm going to go ahead and claim the moral high ground anyway.

Through this discussion, I have been able to conclude that I am, in fact, morally superior.

I had to use black and white reasoning to reach this conclusion, but that was only after I concluded that the only way to reach the conclusion I deeply desired was through black and white reasoning.

So, nothing against non-black and white thinking, but sometimes it just can't get the job done.

Winning!

Ha!

Take that you moral reprobates!

Oh, yeah!

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    You know, the OP was about vegetarianism. Now all the meateaters have jumped aboard to give their two cents on why meat is good. Yes, we get it. No one is better than you.

And I don't find the jokes about killing or eating animals or mocking veg*ns respectful at all.

Originally Posted by squishys
    And I don't find the jokes about killing or eating animals or mocking veg*ns respectful at all.

What's about milk cows?

Milk cows seem perfectly content to *be* milk cows.

At least, the milk cows I've encountered.

They're well fed and cared for.

Last edited by JonLaw; 06/27/13 01:57 PM.
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I utterly reject the notion that vegans are somehow morally superior or being vegan means that one is automatically more intelligent than everyone else.

I think it would be necessary for someone to have first proposed that notion in order for your rejection to be relevant to the discussion. It seems to me that the opposite has been stated and agreed to, by people on different ends of the omnivore/herbivore continuum.

The 'opposite' you are referring to being that vegans are morally reprehensible and stupid?

I didn't see that either being stated or universally agreed to on this thread myself nor do I think it. Do you?

Last edited by madeinuk; 06/27/13 02:15 PM.

Become what you are
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    The 'opposite' you are referring to being that vegans are morally reprehensible and stupid?

No.

In all seriousness, isn't a major question here the actual human carrying capacity of the earth in terms of (sustainable) agriculture/animal husbandry?

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM