Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
    M
    M
    As far as eating one's pets, I regularly stayed with a college friend who's parents ran a hobby farm in their retirement. They lovingly raised 20-30 cows and happily ate them, discussing over dinner whether Fred was perhaps tougher than Max had been. The meat went into the freezer labelled by the cow's name and the cut of the meat, so they always knew who they were eating. I never did feel comfortable joining those conversations. Or talking to their living cows by name either, after the first dinner coversation.

S
    S
    I have never butchered or eaten a cat either wink so all second hand (or worse) anecdotes. But those stories are old and lively.

Yeah, I have wondered about the issue of taste too (obligate carnivore vs. herbivore seem unlikely to be that close). But frogs taste a lot like chicken (and chicken are not exclusive herbivore) and... if nobody can 'fess up to cat, what about alligator?

S
    S
    I think I would have issues with the naming, too.

Anybody has read Temple Grandin's biography? They came out with a kids' version last year (http://www.amazon.com/Temple-Grandin-Embraced-Autism-Changed/dp/0547443153) which should be appropriate for gifted kids K and up. They talk at length of her work making cattle raising more humane, and there are lots of facts about the meat industry.

She explains that she tried to go vegetarian when she was a teen (she *identifies* with cows), but got sick without meat in her diet.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by SiaSL
    But frogs taste a lot like chicken (and chicken are not exclusive herbivore) and... if nobody can 'fess up to cat, what about alligator?

I've had alligator fritters. Tastes like chicken, but the texture is closer to beef.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by SiaSL
    She explains that she tried to go vegetarian when she was a teen (she *identifies* with cows), but got sick without meat in her diet.

Same here. I will spare the details except to say that the problem disappeared immediately after I forced myself to eat some chili con carne. And it never came back after I started eating some (but not a lot of) meat again.

Last edited by Val; 06/26/13 03:22 PM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    Originally Posted by Val
    i am taking this as my cue to go downstairs and get a freezie. i really don't want to eat the cat just now - i have options! wink

Not to mention that cat meat is presumably rather lean.

Unless your cat is a tubba tuba like one of mine.

she really, really is... she's a rescue - but a rescue of mysteriously ample proportions!

Perhaps the foster parents were being very generous with her crunchies.

Ours just eats almost anything. He even steals donuts and knocks my cup of milk over if he can get to it. We have to hide everything.

Kitties are love, though.

Originally Posted by Val
    Kitties are love, though.

A quite edible form of love, apparently.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I've generally found that negativity toward veg*ns comes a lot from people think that the veg*ans are judging them so they are being preemptively nasty.

Most likely any negative reactions are born out of prior experiences with outspoken, self righteous, judgmental, proselytizing veg*ns.

Edit: Which is not meant to imply that they are particularly common. It only takes a few bad apples though.

Last edited by DAD22; 06/27/13 06:35 AM.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    questions about assumptions ("is that factually correct? Is it always true? Sometimes true? Unknown?") works especially well with HG people.

[...]I'd rather face the unvarnished truth and make some sense of it than retain my blissful ignorance...

SO with you on this... i have a total horror of being blinded by assumptions and therefore question EVERYTHING. i'm sure it's massively annoying to everyone around me - i know it drives my husband nuts, but it feels like the only way to truly live honourably.

I'm like this too, and it used to drive my DW batty. If she declared something, I'd naturally start probing for the information that led her there, because that's how I approach the world. She'd immediately respond emotionally, because to her that meant a lack of trust in her and her abilities. "Why do you have to question everything I say??" Because I have to question everything.

If, through the course of reexamining, we both discovered her initial statement was wrong, that didn't help. It made things worse, actually.

Raising our DD to think this way has, I think, changed her perspective on this sort of thing.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    questions about assumptions ("is that factually correct? Is it always true? Sometimes true? Unknown?") works especially well with HG people.

[...]I'd rather face the unvarnished truth and make some sense of it than retain my blissful ignorance...

SO with you on this... i have a total horror of being blinded by assumptions and therefore question EVERYTHING. i'm sure it's massively annoying to everyone around me - i know it drives my husband nuts, but it feels like the only way to truly live honourably.

I'm like this too, and it used to drive my DW batty. If she declared something, I'd naturally start probing for the information that led her there, because that's how I approach the world. She'd immediately respond emotionally, because to her that meant a lack of trust in her and her abilities. "Why do you have to question everything I say??" Because I have to question everything.

If, through the course of reexamining, we both discovered her initial statement was wrong, that didn't help. It made things worse, actually.

Raising our DD to think this way has, I think, changed her perspective on this sort of thing.

that is so cool that having your kid has changed the dynamic - it has definitely done so around here, too - although i think DH is a bit freaked out that DD is shaping up so uh, Socratic, this early in her life. mercifully, the kid is a great deal more amusing than i am - but i guess you can get away with a LOT when you're five and have an impish little face to go along with your logic bombs! smile

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM