Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
    It isn't any better to have two of you who question everything and are hyper-aware/critically questioning, trust me.

We read all of the fine print. On everything.

We are a real treat to take to a meeting with a financial planner, bank, or insurance agent. blush

It took four hours for us to go through our mortgage documents the first time we bought a house, and nearly that long the last time we did a "thorough policy review" with an insurance agent.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    It isn't any better to have two of you who question everything and are hyper-aware/critically questioning, trust me.

Oh, I suspect it is. I doubt you have, err, debates, in which one person is saying, "Fact, second fact, third fact...danger, Will Robinson!" and the other person is being dismissive.

Last edited by Val; 06/26/13 11:28 AM. Reason: Clarity
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    There seems to be almost a hatred of veg*ns here. I don't get how people who choose to not eat meat are such terrible human beings. I have people look at me in disgust because I won't feast on flesh. I am an atheist, and I don't have to believe in souls to know that it just isn't right to kill- anyone or anything. Any creature that feels pain shouldn't killed, IMO.
    "I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." -Leonardo da Vinci

I don't think that an animal's "low intelligence" (according to a human's scale) is a good enough reason to kill them.
    "What is it that should trace the insuperable line? ...The question is not, can they reason nor can they talk but, can they suffer?" -Jeremy Bentham

All animals have nerves, blood, flesh, eyelashes- how can anyone deem them good enough to die? I like to bring my children up with love for everyone, no matter their looks or intelligence. It shouldn't factor in our minds which animal is deserving enough to live. Why do we get to be the ones who decides who lives or dies?
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar." ~Bradley Millar

R
    R
    My two DDs are opposites. DD8 (the identified gifted one) loves meat. She devours hamburgers, hot dogs, and especially loves bacon. When we visited our friends in the country who were raising pigs for 4H I explained where bacon comes from. She had previously met the alive pigs and then had the bacon on the plate. She paused ever so briefly and then requested more bacon. Younger DD does not like meat at all. It makes mealtime difficult. I also have a hard time finding protein sources that younger DD will eat. She will like something like edamame or garbanzos for a while then hates it. I do try to change it up but don't want to rely on dairy strictly for her protein.

There seems to be almost a hatred of veg*ns here.

Really??

I actually think that the discourse has been quite respectful... but in the experience of many omnivores, like many atheists, discussions like this one seem to inevitably turn to who holds the moral high ground and why such positions are "right" or at least superior or more enlightened.

Inherently, this IS a matter of opinion, rather than facts... because if one tries to parse it factually, there are some very odd conclusions to be drawn, and no clean black-and-white lines. Even a discussion of "pain" and pain-perception becomes far more complicated than it might appear from a philosophical perspective. Again, anthropomorphism says one thing, and what science exists says (in some instances) quite another.

Ergo, people who see it in black-and-white terms are seeing it through a lens of belief, just by definition. That may be fine, but attempting to impose that set of beliefs as a larger truth probably isn't. That's proselytizing.

I respect that some people really DO feel that there is only one 'right' way to view some things... but it complicates things when you don't have an authentic choice but to do "wrong" anyway. Is it still morally reprehensible to eat your pet if your only legitimate alternative is starvation? How close to starvation? What about malnutrition?

If not, then is it truly morally reprehensible to begin with? Why?

I'm truly not being snarky in asking. I'm serious.

Originally Posted by Val

Oh, I suspect it is. I doubt you have, err, debates, in which one person is saying, "Fact, second fact, third fact...danger, Will Robinson!" and the other person is being dismissive.

Oh, sure you can!

We like to say that between the two of us, we're of at least three minds about anything in particular. LOL.

Please note that we have quite different value systems, my spouse and myself. He is a neat freak... I am.. er... not. blush He's about some risks (fire, liability) and I'm all about others (personal injury, health).

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Val

Oh, sure you can!

We like to say that between the two of us, we're of at least three minds about anything in particular. LOL.

Please note that we have quite different value systems, my spouse and myself. He is a neat freak... I am.. er... not. blush He's about some risks (fire, liability) and I'm all about others (personal injury, health).

it'd be awesome to do a thread about gifted spouses and how they balance each other with complementary/competing skills. i'd read that one all day. (because i need more encouragement?!)

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 06/26/13 12:07 PM.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    As opposed to my DH, who needs no encouragement from anyone. LOL! grin

Val Offline
    There seems to be almost a hatred of veg*ns here.

Really??

I actually think that the discourse has been quite respectful...

I had to think about that too...I believe "here" means "in Australia."

Is it still morally reprehensible to eat your pet if your only legitimate alternative is starvation? How close to starvation? What about malnutrition?

If not, then is it truly morally reprehensible to begin with? Why?

I'm truly not being snarky in asking. I'm serious.

*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*

Since this discussion has veered off into the realm of whether it is morally acceptable to eat small furry pets, I wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone here about *Rabbit starvation*.

Remember, if you are lost out in the woods, you can only eat so much rabbit before bad things happen to you.

From wikipedia:

"Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou, is a form of acute malnutrition caused by excess consumption of any lean meat (e.g., rabbit) coupled with a lack of other sources of nutrients usually in combination with other stressors, such as severe cold or dry environment. Symptoms include diarrhea, headache, fatigue, low blood pressure and heart rate, and a vague discomfort and hunger that can only be satisfied by consumption of fat or carbohydrates."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT END*

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM