Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 196 of 268 1 2 194 195 196 197 198 267 268
    L
    L
    DS is only 4.5 and today he swam across the pool without his floaties AND rode a bike without training wheels down the road. He's always been ahead of the curve physically as well. laugh

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    My mum visited my boys and I today, and a few minutes after she left DS16 months said, "Grandma gone home"! His talking is spinning me out lol. It may not be too advanced, but my eldest wasn't much of a "several word sentences" talker as a baby, so this is new for me.

A
    A
    DS20mo is developing his sense of words quickly. AFAIK, he started decoding (not sight reading, which he was already doing) last week. Today he spelled several 3-letter words in a game, one of which was "tub". He looked at it then said "ah" (phonetic short a), "tuba". It may not be much, but I was impressed that he was able to make an extension of the word so soon.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    YAY! so cool.

Thanks! It's so neat to see the process unfold as DS is our first child.

it's so great that you really saw your little one so clearly this early on - i really wish i'd woken up a bit sooner with my own kid (our one and only)! i did take a lot of notes while things were happening, so i guess i can enjoy the process retroactively, but it must be so amazing to see it in real time right from the start!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    A
    That's really exciting, squishys! From what I understand, 3-word sentences don't usually start until around 2 years, so that's advanced by at least one third, which is nothing to sneeze at.

I'll bet Grandma is chuffed to have motivated the speech, too. smile

A
    A
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    YAY! so cool.

Thanks! It's so neat to see the process unfold as DS is our first child.

it's so great that you really saw your little one so clearly this early on - i really wish i'd woken up a bit sooner with my own kid (our one and only)! i did take a lot of notes while things were happening, so i guess i can enjoy the process retroactively, but it must be so amazing to see it in real time right from the start!

It's lucky that DS is such a performer; it makes it easy to see what he knows when he's shouts out words he sounds out at 80 decibels. wink

But in all seriousness, it's a joy to watch him blossom.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Thanks, Aquinas. It seems other babies on here are far more advanced, but I am happy with my baby-o's development.

My mum was very happy, and sounded like she was crying a little when I rang her lol.

That's great that your boy is spelling! Is he into numbers? I remember my DS6 at that age doing the same; he is a mathy kid, didn't talk much, but knew a million and one words and used to type them on the computer at two. By the time he was 2.5 he typed 'strawberry jam'.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by squishys
    Thanks, Aquinas. It seems other babies on here are far more advanced, but I am happy with my baby-o's development.

My mum was very happy, and sounded like she was crying a little when I rang her lol.

That's great that your boy is spelling! Is he into numbers? I remember my DS6 at that age doing the same; he is a mathy kid, didn't talk much, but knew a million and one words and used to type them on the computer at two. By the time he was 2.5 he typed 'strawberry jam'.

That's impressive (and delicious)!

DS is mathy enough, but not to the extent of some of the children of forum members. He figured out one-to-one counting of objects to 10 around 1 and very simple addition and subtraction about 6 or 7 months ago to about 5, but nothing much since. But perhaps it manifests more subtly than the language. He's forever finding shapes and patterns wherever we go and loves the digital countdown on our pedestrian traffic lights. We shall see...! He seems to be on a verbal spurt lately.

Last edited by aquinas; 07/08/13 01:19 PM. Reason: For redundancy: "pedestrian crosswalk". Duh, aquinas!
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Wow, that's amazing! I haven't heard of subtracting that early; my mathy one was counting and adding by 12 months, but not subtracting until two. Fantastic!

D
    D
    DD5 started dance camp today and apparently they sorted her into the 9+ group. she came out shining and happy and totally herself - it was really nice to see, after the year she's had.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Page 196 of 268 1 2 194 195 196 197 198 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM