Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #160894 06/25/13 02:57 AM
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S

W
    W
    this seems to link into that other article where kids don't have enough recess and playtime to develop soft skills. Maybe the outcomes are linked to poor soft skills and a deeper look into why there is a shorten life span etc.

Does early institutional educational make for couch potatoes that don't play tennis on the side?

Poor health during one's lifetime because you went to preschool needs a closer look at maybe academics were too stressed and kids just didn't learn to have an outlet.

Originally Posted by Wren
    Does early institutional educational make for couch potatoes that don't play tennis on the side?

No, I think that's caused by being picked last for dodgeball.

Originally Posted by from the article
    Formal schooling should not be delayed by at least 12 months merely because an over-emphasis on the three-Rs inappropriate academic placements starting at an early age can cause significant long-term damage to bright children, according to a leading academic.

There.

Fixed that for them. grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by from the article
    Formal schooling should not be delayed by at least 12 months merely because an over-emphasis on the three-Rs inappropriate academic placements starting at an early age can cause significant long-term damage to bright children, according to a leading academic.

There.

Fixed that for them. grin

That doesn't fix the dodgeball issue.

Seems to me that this retrospective analysis of this particular cohort (which has to be Terman data because there is pretty much nothing else like it) is inherently flawed by correlation fallacy and a major blind spot; neither then nor now is ""education"" (by which I mean most of the formal, institutional variety) appropriate for the cohort in the Terman study.

As long as PG children are educated as though they were NT, ""education"" is going to be actively harmful for a fair number of them.

Duh. Formal education is regarded very much as a necessary EVIL in our own household. Anecdote, yes-- but I see nothing in Terman's conclusions which fails to support my own hypothesis there.

Dodgeball notwithstanding, of course. wink

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 06/25/13 06:36 AM. Reason: to account for dodgeball

O
    O
    I skimmed the article that MON linked. From what I gathered, early school entrants had higher rates of alcohol use and lower psychological adjustment at middle age. These factors partially accounted for the increased overall mortality rates. The paper didn't mention anything about exercise.

What I found interesting is that being out-of-sync with age peers in 8th grade was not a predictor of poor outcomes later on. So I guess it would be safer to put gifted kids in first grade no earlier than 6, but then grade skip later as needed.

The weirdest thing was that "conscientious kids" had better outcomes than "cheerful kids". I would have thought the conscientious kids would be more likely to burn out. But I guess it depends on how they coded kids as conscientious vs cheerful.

Some of the more insightful comments picked up on something that this author (as opposed to Terman's group) has conflated--

Originally Posted by Darkone
    05/17/2012 01:14 PM

"... gifted pupils from relatively affluent backgrounds suffered the most from being pushed “too far, too fast”."

Isn't this about parents hothousing kids?

That's what I suspect, too-- and that this particular analysis of the Terman cohort was done with a particular axe to grind in this respect.

I definitely can believe that pushing MG children to perform like HG ones can be damaging. Unquestionably.

I can also believe that there are quite a number of affluent parents doing such pushing. (Though not so much, probably, in Terman's day; I don't really know.)

I'm guessing that this shows us a lot more about how school environments are highly inappropriate for young children-- of any ability-- and not that they "aren't ready for school."

So why did later entrants seemingly do better (and please note, I'm not sure that Terman's study supports a truly statistically meaningful conclusion here once one accounts for sampling methodology of the day)?

Maybe because of asynchrony. They were all still CHILDREN first, and PG children second, after all. Perhaps they had more well-developed emotional regulation, better executive functions, just better COPING skills with that additional year or two...

and maybe the reason why that mattered so much is that school is set up to be fairly toxic for PG children to begin with.

That's my hypothesis.

K
    K
    Note that a statement was made in the first article that beginning education early would be beneficial for low SES children, not harmful.

So...lifting up the disadvantaged, and holding back the advantaged "bright" (this is making the assumption that much of intelligence stems from environment) makes a nice, tidy middle to teach.

Last edited by KADmom; 06/25/13 07:06 AM.
    O
    O
    I don't think this suggests holding the advanced back. It's just saying that early reading skills do not indicate an early readiness for formalized teaching. And that pushing formal schooling too early can be psychologically damaging, even if a kid can keep up intellectually. Starting school at the normal age doesn't preclude advancement or enrichment later.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM