Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 131 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 130 131
    U
    U
    My DD (when she was 8, she just turned 9 less then a week ago!) also went on a rant about the Made in China stickers on all of her toys....only instead of who cares she was quite upset that (her quote) "we can't make anything here in the USA" ... DH and I got a good chuckle out of that.

OMG! This is really funny. BOTH my children have independently made this discovery and ranted about this same thing. ("Why is everything made in China! Look! Another thing made in China! Why don't we make anything here? Made in China, made in China, made in China AGAIN!") It's like living with a 6yo Pat Buchanan.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    BOTH my children have independently made this discovery and ranted about this same thing.

I got the very same comment from little DS this week... :-)

DeeDee

D
    D
    Originally Posted by KJP
    DS5 is very into anatomy too. We got the Visibile Body app. Kind of pricey at around $40 but worth it.

SO cool! since i gave DD5 my laptop, i've been hoarding the iPad... but for this - i will make an exception. she is obsessed with surgery - she watches all kinds on YouTube - but her main complaint is that it's often hard to see what's happening as clearly as she'd like. so this is... right up her street.

thank you!!!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by lilmisssunshine
    At 6:30 am, pre-coffee, the bathroom door bursts open in an effort to surprise me. It worked.
    A wild-eyed DS4.5, who usually sleeps much later says:

"Are you pooping mom?"
    "Yeah. Do you have to go?"
    "No. I just really want to show you something on Minecraft."

*sigh*

LOL! Gotta love it. Did you have a cat in there watching you too? I swear, I look forward to five minutes alone in the bathroom when everyone leaves the house and the cat is asleep!

K
    K
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    My DD (when she was 8, she just turned 9 less then a week ago!) also went on a rant about the Made in China stickers on all of her toys....only instead of who cares she was quite upset that (her quote) "we can't make anything here in the USA" ... DH and I got a good chuckle out of that.

OMG! This is really funny. BOTH my children have independently made this discovery and ranted about this same thing. ("Why is everything made in China! Look! Another thing made in China! Why don't we make anything here? Made in China, made in China, made in China AGAIN!") It's like living with a 6yo Pat Buchanan.

LOL! Exactly!!

K
    K
    This morning DD was getting ready for school and she must have had a growth spurt because the waist on her jeans was too tight. As I was loosening the adjustable waist band for her I thought back to the first time I told her "you are growing like a weed". She was probably 2.5 years old at this time. She looked at me horrified and started to cry. I asked her why she was crying and she said: I don't want to grow like a weed! I want to grow like a beautiful flower.

Since then I have never been able to tell her she is growing like a weed, so today I told her, well, looks like you are still growing like a beautiful flower and she smiled smile Love that girl!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by kelly0523
    As I was loosening the adjustable waist band for her I thought back to the first time I told her "you are growing like a weed".

oh, this brings back the memories. when i was in K, my mum looked at my (yet again) too-short sleeves and casually joked, "wow, i hope you're not going to turn out to be a Neanderthal!" i was really serious about evolution at the time, so i was too horrified to think she might be kidding, and i spent months trying to jam my arms back into their sockets - so that people wouldn't guess the awful truth: that i was an evolutionary throwback.

i think i was about twenty by the time i even mentioned this "trauma" to my mum, so good on your DD for speaking up! smile

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    Originally Posted by KJP
    DS5 is very into anatomy too. We got the Visibile Body app. Kind of pricey at around $40 but worth it.

SO cool! since i gave DD5 my laptop, i've been hoarding the iPad... but for this - i will make an exception. she is obsessed with surgery - she watches all kinds on YouTube - but her main complaint is that it's often hard to see what's happening as clearly as she'd like. so this is... right up her street.

thank you!!!

One of the very few public outbursts ever from my DD was when she was about four-ish. She picked up a paperback of Gray's Anatomy off of a sale rack outside of the local Waldenbooks at the mall-- and was so smitten with it that at the end of a quite generous 20 minutes of perusal, she INSISTED that we purchase this for her. When we refused (on the grounds that... I mean.... how weird is this?? FOUR.YEAR.OLD), she pitched a major hissy fit. To the point that other adults were inquiring what the trouble was and giving us nasty looks... one grandmotherly type picked up a children's book from the same rack and said "look, I don't believe in depriving children of books-- I will pay for the book for her..." blush

but she quickly changed her tune (and gave us the hairy eyeball-- especially DD) when we explained that: a) no, it was Gray's Anatomy that she wanted, not the children's picture book, and b) throwing a fit was going to get her a lesson in "this isn't how we get things we want."

What a funny incident, though.

ETA: I do regret not buying it for her. My logic was that it wasn't generally normative enough, and that is NOT a good enough reason.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 05/29/13 07:30 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    oh man - i love your kid, HK. love her.

we had a similar story last year about getting a med-student anatomy colouring book - DD freaked out when the shop we went to couldn't find it for her even though the computer suggested it was in stock. it's rare for her to lose it like that, but she wasn't having any of the "little girl hearts and flowers" style they tried pushing on her instead.

DD and my husband eventually found it at the Science Centre gift shop one day - and she was so excited! too bad the staff were of the "hairy eyeball" variety... it never ceases to amaze me how people can choose to be so judgmental in the face of a kid who clearly just wants to learn... and at the Science Centre, of all places!

D
    D
    Here's one for you:

DS6: Mom, nothing can live inside a black hole, right?
    Me: Right.
    DS6: Okay, but if no one has ever escaped from one, how do we know that's true?
    Me: I see your point.
    DS6: What if black holes are really just a way to travel from one galaxy to the next?
    Me: Hmmmm. . .you mean like a worm hole?
    DS6: No, a worm hole is a worm hole. I think black holes get you from one galaxy to the next FASTER than a worm hole. That's my theory.

Two days later, I'm about to drop him off at school, and right before he gets out of the car, he says, "Mom, when I'm a scientist, I will agree with the other scientists who say that there are multiple universes. Really, it just makes sense." I stammer out, "Alright, then. Have a wonderful day at school, honey!" Then I drive away thinking, "how the heck is he going to be challenged in first grade today?"

Page 7 of 131 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM