Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 115 of 268 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 267 268
    G
    G
    A real reason to brag Grinity! congratulations to your DS, DS's school, DH and to you for all your persistence smile your story son's story always reminds me that it is worth it to keep going, keep looking for that fit.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    Originally Posted by barbarajean
    Grinity
    Congratulations! I bet in some ways it seems just like yesterday when your ds started school, and on the other hand it seems a long time ago because of all the hard work, challenges, success, and changes along the way.

barb
    I feel like I don't even 'know' let alone resemble the me from 10 years ago. But I remember my son's 1st and 2nd grade years very vividly. It all seems like so long ago. And DS who had such a great memory for the first 10 years finally has the gift of forgetting...he has forgotten so much that I would like to forget! He thinks that I've always been super organized and Flylady-ish - Hee Hee.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Awesome news Grinity! Way to go DS!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    Haven't posted in this thread since it was started way back when... DS was in first. (Now he's just completed 3rd... My how time flies).

This year our PS situation really turned a corner. Starting in the second marking period DS(then)7 was switched to take 6th grade pre algebra for first period in the Middle School. For second marking period he did great and then each marking period after his average kept going up (despite missing a FULL month for state testing).

At the end of the year he got an achievement award for ... the highest overall average in the class. (He tied with one other student).

Lots of bumps along the way but this year ended on a VERY positive note.

JB

That is so awesome!!! You must be very proud!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    DS14 finally returned from his first year of boarding school (9th grade sub-two) and his goal was to maintain a GPA over 95% so that he could get the highest honor roll level.

He did it! He got a 96.5 GPA in his classes for the final trimester, which is heavily influenced by finals. Last year he could barely bring himself to study 3 hours total for finals. This year he set up 'on-line flashcards' 2 weeks in advance to learn vocab words for the English final, and worked though 5 pages of Physics problems to prepare for this Physics test. He got an 100% on his Physics test - the teacher had to introduce a curve to help out the rest of the class.

His may seem like a strange brag for a YS kid, but with his ADD getting the level of focus and and perspective-taking to get in the high 90s really says a lot about his work ethic, his willingness to follow the teachers' lead, and his engagement with the material. When he was young, I expected learning to be fun, but now he has matured into a kid who can do the job, fun or not. (as long as it's a little bit fun! Which it is!)

Plus he learned how to run a couple of miles for fun and and fitness, and he discovered that he enjoys casual basketball games. He's looking forward to trying out for the basketball team next year, and one the teachers is supporting him to start a 'Settler's of Catan' playing club, since it was quite popular this year after DS introduced it. His best friend at school wrote in his yearbook that DS was the person who taught him the most this year. Aww.

And the school facilitated his participation in service programs. They sponsor a Special Olympics, and set him and his best friend up to do weekly play-vists with a local 4 year old with special needs.

I'm bragging about my son, my son's school, my DH for following my lead, and ME - for finding the school and being willing to send DS there - SuperBrag!

Grinity

I'm so glad to hear that his year went so well. I am so proud of you for being relentless in the pursuit of your son's success! Kudos!

E
    E
    Wonderful news Grinity and JB smile

Congrats Grinity and family! What a scarey and unselfish thing to send your DS away to school. Clearly it was the right decision. You guys must be so very proud!

I haven't ever posted in this thread...but I am super proud of dd14 for designing a mural and painting at her school this past semester. She also led the team who painted it, which at times was only two people.

My daughter is a musician as well as an artist, thus the music theme. The idea came from a sketch she did for another assignment in art. Her art teacher liked it and told her to expand upon it.

Hope it's okay to link to a picture file here. grin music mural

When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. Walt Disney
    Originally Posted by ginger234
    I haven't ever posted in this thread...but I am super proud of dd14 for designing a mural and painting at her school this past semester. She also led the team who painted it, which at times was only two people.

My daughter is a musician as well as an artist, thus the music theme. The idea came from a sketch she did for another assignment in art. Her art teacher liked it and told her to expand upon it.

Hope it's okay to link to a picture file here. grin music mural

I'm happy to give you a "bump"! As an artist, I know how huge it is to direct. Kudos to your daughter. whistle

M
    M
    awesome update Grinity and JB smile

ginger - that is gorgeous! well done to your daughter

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Page 115 of 268 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM