Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #160729 06/21/13 05:59 AM
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S

K
    K
    Excellent. Thanks, Squishys.

G
    G
    While most of those points have citations, some do not. Anyone know what backs up the statement:

"Many cases of underachievement are linked to chronic early ear infections (9 or more in the first three years), with residual effects of auditory sequential processing deficits and attentional problems. Spelling, arithmetic, handwriting, rote memorization, attention, and motivation to do written work are all typically affected."

DS hit everything there except for rote memorization and arithmetic. I'd love to see the studies that go into this statement.

Interesting-- my DD meets them all save for spelling.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Interesting-- my DD meets them all save for spelling.

Yes. Ds does as well...also except for spelling.

Ds didn't have chronic ear infections, however, he did have one that left him temporarily hearing impaired at a crucial age, right before Kindergarten. It was a month before we figured things out and another before he had surgery to drain the fluid.

Last edited by KADmom; 06/21/13 07:12 AM.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S

M
    M
    I am not sure what the scientific basis is but early ear infections came up with pretty much every developmental type person we've seen about our kids - paeds, OTs, speechies, psychologists. They all see it as either causal or at least correlated with a bunch of conditions, all of which tend to include the above issues in their symptoms.

And my kids have not had a single ear infection between them. They do have ear wax like you wouldn't believe, my youngest has had to have it dug out by an ENT on a regular basis (we take her each time her diction devolves and she seems to be mishearing).

G
    G
    Great article! Always liked what Linda Silverman writes about.
    Thanks.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I have mentioned this in a PP but I spent every summer battling ear infections as a child and I think that led to my learning problems. I have all the tell-tales signs of CAPD, I can't spell to save my life, and I'm quite ADHD (that one probably has more to do with genes than ear infections but having both sure makes life harder).

When I told DD's pediatrician that I'm not letting her swim to reduce the risk of ear infections, I thought he was going to lecture me about being an overprotective mom but to my surprise, he was completely supportive. I don't know why we don't get warnings about the long-term (life-long, really) damages ear infections can cause as new parents.

Yes--My older son had ear infections from the time he was 9 months old until he was 3 or 4. He has pretty significant learning and attention issues. My younger son had exactly one ear infection when he was 4. He has no learning or attention issues. *I* had lots of ear infections as a child and I see now that I had learning and attention issues similar to my older son. Still do, in fact.

A huge difference between the way the older one and the younger one were raised--the older one was breastfed for only 4 months and went to "preschool" starting at 17 months. The younger one was breastfed for 8 months and was home until he was 3.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Kai
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I have mentioned this in a PP but I spent every summer battling ear infections as a child and I think that led to my learning problems. I have all the tell-tales signs of CAPD, I can't spell to save my life, and I'm quite ADHD (that one probably has more to do with genes than ear infections but having both sure makes life harder).

When I told DD's pediatrician that I'm not letting her swim to reduce the risk of ear infections, I thought he was going to lecture me about being an overprotective mom but to my surprise, he was completely supportive. I don't know why we don't get warnings about the long-term (life-long, really) damages ear infections can cause as new parents.

Yes--My older son had ear infections from the time he was 9 months old until he was 3 or 4. He has pretty significant learning and attention issues. My younger son had exactly one ear infection when he was 4. He has no learning or attention issues. *I* had lots of ear infections as a child and I see now that I had learning and attention issues similar to my older son. Still do, in fact. My uncle also had lots of ear infections (before antibiotics) and my father did not. My uncle struggled with learning while my father did not (and was enormously successful in academia).

A huge difference between the way the older one and the younger one were raised--the older one was breastfed for only 4 months and went to "preschool" starting at 17 months. The younger one was breastfed for 8 months and was home until he was 3.

I realize that just because this is my experience, it doesn't mean that ear infections are the cause of all things learning disabled, but it does make me think there might be somethign to the whole ear infection thing.

U
    U
    Repeated ear infections absolutely are known to be associated with CAPD. There must be studies behind this because I've seen it said again and again. It came up a lot when I was researching this for DD (who had terrible issues with ear infections and has symptoms of CAPD, but tested as absolutely not having it and has perfect hearing today). Ear infections are also known to be associated with speech problems, of course.

FWIW, DD has beautiful handwriting, is great at arithmetic, and has an amazing rote memory, and her writing skills are great. But...she doesn't hear people a lot of the time and doesn't seem to process oral directions well. I don't even know.

DD had 40% hearing loss in one ear for a significant period as a toddler. I HAVE to think that did something not-good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM