Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    The effect IS striking enough, however, that everyone in terminal-degree-granting institutions is well aware of it. The rate of psychosis among my graduate department seems to have been about 8-10% over a period of some 15 years that I'm aware of. Pretty sure that incidence is nowhere NEAR that in the general population, though I don't know exactly what it is. Most of those people experienced psychotic breaks as a result of apparent schizoaffective disorders. This is one of those anecdotal things that 'everyone knows' who deals with large numbers of HG/HG+ people, but few studies with good design have ever been done on that cohort to tease apart just HOW real the effect actually is.
    I'm not aware of that high an incidence of psychosis (in a largish sample in a very high ranking department in a mathematical field) but interruptions for mental illness of one kind or another are easily that high, and there's a culture here of keeping psychosis known only on a need-to-know basis anyway, so could be.

Doing a PhD is an extraordinarily stressing experience, though, even compared with the rest of an academic career. The kind of stress probably varies a lot with field, and especially with whether you're working as an individual or as a member of a team, though. Stockholm syndrome is probably more of an issue for the latter - for the former, there often aren't people close enough to seem like captors! For the people near me, it's basically 3-4 years of working on your own to make a substantial new contribution to knowledge - as your first experience of research, without the wide background knowledge and the secure network of support from colleagues in the field that you'll have later. The UK does not have the taught course element of graduate school that is usual in the US (historically, because undergraduate courses go deeper): typically, students arrive at a new place where they know noone and are immediately thrust into doing that research. Even those who aren't made ill by it are, universally, made miserable by it at some point. This is why one should almost never advise someone who isn't sure to do a PhD.

Frankly, my intuition is that you don't have to invoke special susceptibility in the HG+ population to explain the level of mental illness we see. The environment is sufficient to explain it. It's far worse for the people who come in without sufficient challenge in their background, those whose self-image involves not finding things hard.

In case it's relevant to anyone reading, let me point at the Depressed Academics community.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    True-- and it's also taking an age/maturity cohort which is probably at highest risk for an initial psychotic break to begin with-- assuming that people who are HG+ tend to mask less severe symptoms fairly successfully up to that point, which does seem to be true.

Statistically speaking, mid-to-late adolescence through the early 20's is when many serious mental health disorders emerge to begin with.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I'll just give a hug.

((hug))

D
    D
    I think that the book Living with Intensity has a very great chapter that explains well how Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration would apply to giftedness and depression.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I CANNOT thank you all enough for all of these kind links, facts, and ideas. IT really does make me feel like I am not so alone anymore. This is such an awesome forum!

D
    D
    I feel the same way. Here is a link to the book I mentioned:
    http://www.amazon.com/Living-With-Intensity-Understanding-Excitability/dp/0910707898

I also think James Webb explains it very well here:
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10554.aspx

I
    I
    The book "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses" came out in 2005, a 2nd edition came out a few years after this thread began:
    Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders (2nd edition), authored by James T Webb, Edward E Amend, Paul Beljan (2016)
    Originally Posted by book description
    Gifted children and adults are frequently misdiagnosed, particularly those who are twice-exceptional (2e).
    Here is a link to Dr. Webb discussing Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses
    https://videos.med.wisc.edu/videos/32540 (2011)

Evidently, it can be important to have a psychologist or professional who is familiar with gifted.
    The two lists above are courtesy of Hoagies Gifted Education Page.
    Here is a list maintained courtesy of SENG (Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted).

This also may be of interest - Counseling Gifted Adults - A Case Study, by Paula Prober

R
    R
    Is the thread from 2013 or am I reading wrong? grin

I can give some more detailed personal thoughts on mental health and giftedness, (mostly through sharing my own experiences and hypotheses about giftedness I have derived from it). I have spent a bit of time thinking about this.

But it might get a bit lengthy (even if I shorten each point as much as possible), so I will only if OP is (still) interested. (Or maybe I should open a new "mental health and giftedness" thread? Anyone interested?).

In the mean time, I'll still complement indigo's list of resources, and throw Alice Miller's The Drama of the Gifted Child into the mix.

We had been discussing it in another thread .

In a nutshell, she develops a (somehow psychodynamical) theory of how being emotionally sensitive as a child can result in feelings of either depression or grandiosity in adulthood, when growing up in family constellations where the parents show certain types of emotional dysregulations.

I
    I
    Yes, this thread is from 2013. Occasionally old threads get a bit of attention from the online search engines and search spiders crawling the web. This can be observed via the "Who's Online" feature (displayed in the left margin of the screen, on a laptop).

There are currently 243 - 227 - 228 - 234 - 246 - 259 search spiders accessing the forum. (The count can change quickly.)

If updated information is readily available which may be helpful to current/future readers of the thread... it seems that posting those updates is simply the right thing to do.
    smile

Yes, a new thread exploring giftedness and mental health, might be helpful... maybe in the adult age forum? As most other sections of the forum are dedicated to helping parents guide their gifted offspring through the school years. Two more thoughts:
    - If you start a thread on mental health, just be sure to follow forum rules to not disclose any personally identifying information regarding yourself or others.
    - If you start a new thread, you might want to post a link to it, from this thread.

R
    R
    Please excuse my brisk question; it is an old habit of mine, from youth days spent on internet forums to mark a flag on reviving "dead threads". I take note of new ways to think about elder posts smile.

I'll post the link in here when I am done - hopefully this weekend or the next, when I find the time.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM