Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S

Why don't you consider skipping 2y to be a viable option at this point in time?

Why not completely homeschool?

What am I missing?[/quote]

At this point, it simply doesn't feel right to skip him. He is very young for his grade. His executive function is not there yet. Do I think he would be ok if he skipped? Yes, but it wouldn't be great. Also, I can already see down the road that he will WANT to skip. I think that is the point at which we will consider it.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    As to why I don't homeschool, he is so social and he is a leader. I think he would be miserable as a homeschooler. In my ideal world, he would go to school 2-3 days a week and spend the rest at home.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Thanks for the explanation. You have two things going on that I can really identify with - first, we had no desire to grade-skip our ds, and honestly, for us and for him, it was the best decision - but definitely not ideal. I would make the same choice again today even knowing the areas that ultimately were difficult because he wasn't skipped, so I can understand the desire not to go with a grade skip, and particularly a 2 year grade skip. I also see issues that a 2 year grade skip won't necessarily solve, such as classroom learning pace, and - in this case - grade skipping isn't going to make the school more flexible, so what happens when you still need to do something extra or different for your ds? I suspect the school staff will not be wiling to accommodate.

The second thing I can identify with is being in a small charter school which you have bought into (mentally, not with $), where you've done your best to integrate yourself as the helpful parent etc, and where you believe there should be flexibility to accommodate a gifted student. Your school is sending you a strong signal - they don't want to accommodate. Have you considered simply returning to a different school within the larger school district? We stuck with our charter school for several years thinking that if we just kept advocating, just kept suggesting, just kept trying - we'd get somewhere. We didn't - and what we found at the end of 5th grade was our ds, who'd been primarily silent all those years - absolutely hated his school! As he got older, he not only wasn't being challenged in the classroom, he was seeing me advocate and getting nowhere and it left him feeling that no one at the school cared. When we did switch schools, the difference was like night and day (note - our new school is *not* a gifted school) - but it's a school where teachers appreciate parent input and where students are given differentiated work - and life is just so very much easier for me and so much happier for my ds. Is it ideal? Nope... but it was a good thing for me to let go of the school that was so obviously not willing to work with us.

And like HK, I also wonder why if you're able to consider homeschooling the core academics, you wouldn't consider full time homeschool?

Anyway, it sounds as though sticking with the school you're at isn't going to be easy and your advocating isn't getting you anywhere. Based on that I'd suspect part-time homeschooling wouldn't go over well there either.

I am also curious re why your ds didn't get into the gifted program in your district? Is it a program you wanted him in? Is it something he could test again for? Something you could appeal?

Best wishes,

polarbear

PB,

Our larger district is simply not safe. We live in a rough urban area. The local public schools are not an option. I've learned quite a bit about the local gifted program and it sounds like it wouldn't be a good fit anyway. It sounds like it's just for well behaved MG kids (if that).

S
    S
    Have you applied to DYS? I went back through your posts and saw that your son took an IQ test and was PG, so I'm assuming he qualifies. Your situation is the perfect example of how the consultants could help advocate for a better situation for your son. They offer to get on the phone during school meetings and share ideas, or send info. If DYS isn't an option, I think the Gifted Development Center offers the same service, albeit for a price. You could also just schedule a phone consult with GDC and get their advice on how to handle the situation.

I think I'm reading from your posts that your son is in a public charter school. It doesn't sound like they're open to thinking outside the box. Can you find another school that would be? I think you should go principal shopping and find a principal who realizes PG kids have needs that are different than typical or even gifted kids.

We actually had really great luck with our principal who had her masters in gifted education. She approved everything we asked for, for our son. We had to pay for it, but it was worth it. I don't think every school in our area would be open to that, but she and the teachers agreed he needed something different than they could offer.

Good luck.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by syoblrig
    Have you applied to DYS? I went back through your posts and saw that your son took an IQ test and was PG, so I'm assuming he qualifies. Your situation is the perfect example of how the consultants could help advocate for a better situation for your son. They offer to get on the phone during school meetings and share ideas, or send info. If DYS isn't an option, I think the Gifted Development Center offers the same service, albeit for a price. You could also just schedule a phone consult with GDC and get their advice on how to handle the situation.

I think I'm reading from your posts that your son is in a public charter school. It doesn't sound like they're open to thinking outside the box. Can you find another school that would be? I think you should go principal shopping and find a principal who realizes PG kids have needs that are different than typical or even gifted kids.

We actually had really great luck with our principal who had her masters in gifted education. She approved everything we asked for, for our son. We had to pay for it, but it was worth it. I don't think every school in our area would be open to that, but she and the teachers agreed he needed something different than they could offer.

Good luck.

We haven't applied yet. I will be applying this summer or the fall.

I just received another email from the school informing us that they are continuing to drag their feet...they need "more data", etc. My son would not be happy to switch schools right now - he's got a lot of friends. Sigh. We really have been so pleasant with the school. Perhaps we do need to be a little firm with them? Not mean of course. We do have some leverage here. They really do NOT want us to leave, for a variety of reasons that I don't want to explain here, as this is not a private forum.

I'm tired of this. Looking at next year, I have a strong hunch that DS will not be happy...he's not happy about his teacher and we don't have any accommodations in place as of right now. He does like his friends though. I don't want to PULL him from this school right now. I want him to ASK me if he can leave. Does that make sense? On top of the fact that I haven't had time to really look around at our options for this fall.

How do I make the best of this? I think that we CAN make it through another year here, while I look at other options. But how do we do that? Let's pretend that we get zero accommodations (probably don't have to pretend actually).

How about getting enrichment OUTSIDE of school for this upcoming year? With a PG kid, I have realized the school can't really help to the level we need help anyway. Look into online options. I am in the same boat here, new to this. I would prefer to keep our son in school as well because of the great things his school (private) offers. Amazing art, music programs etc. Someone else might have ideas of good online educational options.

This is if you feel your child will be OK for another year. Seems he is at least enjoying his friends while in school.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by 1111
    How about getting enrichment OUTSIDE of school for this upcoming year? With a PG kid, I have realized the school can't really help to the level we need help anyway. Look into online options. I am in the same boat here, new to this. I would prefer to keep our son in school as well because of the great things his school (private) offers. Amazing art, music programs etc. Someone else might have ideas of good online educational options.

This is if you feel your child will be OK for another year. Seems he is at least enjoying his friends while in school.

I THINK that he will be ok for another year. He does enjoy the social aspect. Last year, he began to understand that there is an academic part to school - that the other children go there to learn, and that he doesn't. But it didn't bother him because he is young and he likes the social scene. Something has switched with him lately. My hunch (and my hunches are usually quite accurate) is that this will be the year that my son will want to either grade skip or switch schools. I'm not ready for the grade skip - I can almost guarantee that he will be.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM