Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by eastcoast
    No, I don't mean to ask if you are an evangelical who supports gifted education. I mean, are you someone who sees value in educating others (mainly teachers and administrators) in the benefits and necessity of appropriate gifted education for your children?
    I live in an affluent suburb of Boston. Massachusetts students typically rank near the top on national tests such as the NAEP, and our school district ranks high in Massachusetts.

The teachers and administrators do not want to hear about gifted children. Here is the belief system:

"We have great schools -- give us more money (pass a tax override) but otherwise shut up. You are free to afterschool your children, but don't expect us to consider what your child knows. If he is in 5th grade, he studies 5th grade math. Period. What are you complaining about? Look at our MCAS scores."

I have heard that the 'worst' school districts can be the best for a child who needs more accommodations. The 'good' districts are so sure of their excellence that they refuse to see a need for anything other than what they provide, whereas the 'bad' districts are used having work things out. I met someone a couple of weeks ago whose child is in one of the 'worst' districts, and he had glowing praise for their gifted program.

(scare quote usage fully intentional)

O
    O
    Having taken the full trip with DS 19 and nearly the full trip with DS 15 I'm of the same mindset as HowlerKarma. My original mindset was that all it would take to sway people was to educate them, I quickly learned (and should have already known) that you can only educate those willing to be educated. What I've found is that there are too many who don't know what they don't know but assume they do. There are also many that assume that since little or no time was spent on gifted education and it's special needs in their college education, that anything you have to say or show them isn't going to be helpful or change their mind.

I've taken the mindset of educating those who will listen and avoiding those who won't. You can only justify wasting so much time on those who already have their mind made up, time that can be better spent seeking other options. I know I've wasted more time being bull headed trying to educate those who don't want to be than I'd like to admit.

I haven't ever been involved in the private school trail, only public school option. There, unfortunately I've learned a couple of things generally speaking, of course not in ALL cases...

1. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, not always but if it's not squeaking it has no chance.
    2. Public schools are deathly afraid of any parental confrontation be it entirely civil, factual, and with intent to solve problems or otherwise.
    3. If the public school even has the slightest thought pattern that something will cost more money they dismiss it immediately without so much as discussion.
    4. You're not going to win over an entire system, if you can find one person who "gets" your kid and the concept, then do everything you can to make the most of it.
    5. Expect to supplement your child's education outside of school and expect to need to go to great lengths to do so.

Again, these aren't true in ALL scenarios, they're just more often true than not.

Last edited by Old Dad; 06/17/13 06:15 AM.
    U
    U
    To answer the question--I do not evangelize. I have some ambivalence about the net community effect of the gifted magnet my child attends. It's much better than her first school, but still probably not enough. It will be interesting to see how things progress as my second child enters the system and as the years pass.

I can imagine an ideal school for my children, but I can't imagine it being implemented. I am highly aware of the multiple obstacles that exist to this school ever being created. I really don't want to homeschool my kids, either. I feel pretty done with full-time parenting (as an introvert with two extrovert children, I find it hard!), I think they benefit from being with other adults and other children, and I have a job that I love. We supplement at home with a lot of interesting stuff. However, I am not afterschooling DD because she has too much homework to make this sustainable.

I am sort of beaten down at this point, but DD is maintaining and doing okay, so we will take it. The irony is that neither of my children are 2E in the educational sense and both of them SHOULD be extremely fun to teach in most ways. I'm still waiting for just one of them to get a teacher who really loves him/her and gives him/her wings.

Val Offline
    Old Dad, I think your summary is really on target.

We've had fewer problems and frustrations with private schools and more in only one year of a public school than all other years combined, but the school was a very bad fit for our son.

But we've still met people at the private schools who really don't get giftedness at all. frown

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM