Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    I'm pretty certain that this problem is completely self-correcting.

Because once the nation of wimps become parents, they will be unable to actually cope with their own lives, let alone have enough psychic energy left over to helicopter parent their children.

Problem solved.

Ha!

Forever a pendulum...

Originally Posted by KADmom

Because once the nation of wimps become parents, they will be unable to actually cope with their own lives, let alone have enough psychic energy left over to helicopter parent their children.

Problem solved.

Ha!

Forever a pendulum...

Indeed. Because the following generation will have to raise itself, so they'll be strong and resilient. But they'll be so bitter about the lack of parental involvement that they'll swear they'll do better... and get hyperinvolved.

I'm convinced the helicopter parenting trend of today is a direct result of the latchkey kid trend of the 70s-90s.

phey #160099 06/13/13 02:42 PM

I don't think there's a good way to shift from hellicoptering to non-hellicoptering, though.

I went from basically what was hellicoptering to college (hard shift from complete to really no actual support) and ended up being quite non-functional for five years.

Problem solved.

Don't be silly-- OUR generation of parents will be raising our grandchildren. Far too important a job to trust it to our kids to handle...

happily, most helicoptered children will meekly step aside and let their parents take over when they feel overwhelmed (and what new parent doesn't, right?), so all will be well in the end.

wink

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 06/13/13 04:14 PM. Reason: the wink was particularly important on this post

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    phey #160104 06/13/13 05:34 PM
    M
    M
    Dude, I am absolutely certain some of our parenting choices are rebound behaviour from feeling both our parents "benign neglect" approach was not always that benign. But conversely I am aware of the good things our parents did that I sometimes fail to do and how to correct that. Where is the freaking middle ground? I'd love to find it.

phey #160143 06/14/13 08:04 AM
    D
    D
    Over the past few years, I've simplified my theory of helicopter parenting to this -

"Helicopter parenting is what happens when Generation X has children."

Many of the defining moments/themes of Gen X were steeped in danger, darkness, or loneliness -- the advent of AIDS, the Cold War, the Challenger explosion, "latchkey" children, etc. When Hope and Fear Collide by Arthur Levine and Jeanette Cureton is a really good book that talks about how those moments impacted Gen X'ers as college students. It seems completely logical to me that we've seen an increase in the number of parents who want to hold on a little longer and have more oversight in their childrens' lives after living through the previously mentioned things. Some parents find a healthy balance naturally, and some find it when they're forced to. I agree with other posters, though, that eventually the pendulum will swing back in the other direction.

Last edited by Diamondblue; 06/14/13 08:05 AM. Reason: The book title wasn't italicized! Eek!
    phey #160652 06/20/13 10:46 AM
    22B Offline
    Not sure which thread to post in, but how's this for helicopter parenting?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/20/french-woman-daughter-sit-exam-baccalaureat

phey #160654 06/20/13 10:56 AM
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Wait, I thought the American parents were the bad ones. Aren't we supposed to be parenting the French way?

phey #160657 06/20/13 11:05 AM
    Oh my. Not so much shocking (after all, this is sort of the natural endpoint of this continuum, and socially the entire culture is inching its way that direction), but sad beyond words.

I feel so very sorry for the young woman who was raised by that particular parent.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    phey #160684 06/20/13 12:51 PM
    It's beyond sad when preschool admissions coaching is a thing.

http://theweek.com/article/index/245770/getting-into-preschool-advice-from-an-admissions-coach

Bolding is mine:

But a hired gun like her doesn't come cheap. Shapiro offers a range of services, depending on what clients need. She'll meet with parents over the phone for $150 an hour, or come to you for $250. Packages of six to 10 consultations may be available at a discount to parents who want guidance throughout the admissions process. She also holds two-hour workshops for small groups for a flat $400 per hour fee.

But, as some parents see it, that's a small price to pay if junior gets into Harvard.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM