Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    DOK, bianca, DOK...

Kriston
    DOK for the self-contained HG+ classrooms and GT seminars...

*sigh*

Kriston
    DOK as well...... double sigh.....

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

A
    A
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    I guess you can say we are trial homeschooling this summer, but it's not that different than what we have been doing during summer and afterschool.

The girls will have swim team in the mornings, then in the afternoon they will have a fun learning session.

They are already pretty excited about it as we are in the process of sketching it out. They will choose which day is science day, math day, language arts day, etc and then I will provide things for each of them to do. They will be asked to spend 30 minutes on a project and then are free to continue or do whatever else they want for the rest of the day.
    Friday is for whatever we want to do. No swim team, so we can go on field trips, do crafts of sit around and do nothing if we wish! smile
    We also plan on doing other fun stuff like going on vacation, amusement parks, camping etc.
    We are all excited, it looks like a very fun summer!

It does sound like a fun summer, 'Neato! And thanks for the ideas about how to rotate the learning time. Even though we're staying with public school in the fall, I am going to try some schooling at home this summer. For some reason I've bristled at schedules since I stopped working, even if I make them. Apparently I don't like being told what to do, even if I'm the one doing the telling! But I have realized that I need some type of schedule--even a loose "guideline"--to stay on track, and your idea sounds great, especially for the summer.

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, yes, and I'm joining the others who are drooling over the HG classes and seminar. DOK, indeed!

Last edited by AmyEJ; 05/14/08 10:52 AM.
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Um....the seminar is a joke folks, no need to drool! LOL!

It must have been a Pavlovian response. I seem to salivate whenever I hear read the word seminar.

Last edited by Cathy A; 05/14/08 11:18 AM. Reason: Need for increased accuracy.
    Don't tease us, Dottie! You know how we are! wink

LOL! I wondered how you got a seminar and I hadn't heard about it, Dottie. I thought it was a new development. Doh!!!

Kriston
    Well, they named it well, since "GT Seminar" SOUNDS fabulous!!! They sure got me!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Oh, and Bianca...wouldn't that be SMET? ROFL!

Yes. I realized I put them in the wrong order, but was too lazy to correct. STEM is actually a acronym used by some new age educators trying to get girls more invested in those four disciplines. One of the things my dd's school is trying to do is to steer girls into that direction.

We got some of those electronic white boards already in some of the classes (I think I spoke about them earlier in the year). They are fabulous! The science teachers did a whole presentation for the parents. I think I want to go back to school grin

We also had a meeting with the headmaster and he talked about changes happening next year. It all sounds so exciting!!

About the electronic boards - our school also has them, but they are not able to replace good teachers. Unfortunately.
    The best teacher in the school, historian, hardly ever uses them.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM