Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Huckleberry, I may be in the minority here, but one of my dds had her WPPSI score (taken at 4.5) decrease significantly - across the board - when she was tested with the WISC in 2nd grade. She's also since then taken the WJ-III Test of Cognitive Abilities and it is more in line with her WISC score than her WPSSI, and her experiences in school lead me to believe the super-high WPSSI scores (for her) weren't accurate.
    An IQ score contains signal and noise, and the noise is on average positive for the high scorers. Therefore some regression to the mean is to be expected. Is there research on how much?

SAT score reports indicate how the scores are likely to change upon retaking. A math SAT score of 770 falls on average to 745 upon retaking, but scores in the 500s on reading and writing change little upon retaking. So high scores mean-revert, but this phenomenon has little effect on middling scores.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Re: noise. Do you mean SEM, reliability, longitudinal studies, and the like? If so, yes. The first two are in the manuals. I know there's been some research on the second. Check out the Lothian birth cohort. Try googling "IQ regression to the mean" for some amusing (?) discussions on that topic from a statistical perspective.

Doing a quick survey, I did find that it appears available evidence suggests that high scores not only revert, they revert more than sub-mean scores (3-5 point on re-administration if IQ above 109, vs 1-2 if below 90, in a study where children were re-tested three years apart).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Q
    Q
    For us, we found that the original test might have been a bit high in terms of a number score. How has it been going? (PM'd you as well)

Last edited by Qwestion; 02/18/15 01:17 PM.
    E
    E
    DS was tested at 3.6 for early entrance to a gifted pre-k. He scored in the HG
    Range with PRI significantly higher than VCI on the WPPSI. The tester said
    To test again at six because she was sure his VCI was an underestimate of his abilities. At six he got scores that got him into DYS. His verbal score was the highest this time.

A
    A
    I found this article on regression to the mean interesting. I may have read about it on here, so I apologize if it is repetitive. It also makes me wonder why all gifted programs don't test for both achievement and ability.

https://faculty.education.uiowa.edu/docs/dlohman/Gifted_Today.pdf

H
    OP Offline
    H

Socially, she's adjusting to the climate. Some good days, some days not so much.
    Academically, she's doing "fine". She keeps up with her peers, but doesn't approach the curriculum as I had thought she would have. In her spare time, she would rather play at a park, or play pretend or play dolls. You know, NT stuff. There is a mild interest towards some things but at home she just wants to play.
    Qwestion: I PM'd you back (we don't have that around us)
    Appleton- I think g programs do take into to account achievement and ability. But to the degree they value output versus problem solving depends on the school.
    Thanks for the article,

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM