Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #15994 05/14/08 12:19 PM
    S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    What are some good ways to present WISC and WAIT scores to the school?

We haven't shared the scores with them yet (not sure why) but now that we are looking at other options, it seems that we should probably share the test scores with the public school and at least give them a chance to react. But, I don't want to just go in and say "here, read this".

A
    A
    I think you've mentioned that the school isn't interested in skipping DS because of TAKS. How did that conversation come up? Have you talked with the counselor?

S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    We just discussed his current status and mentioned the scores but didn't really give them a copy. We told them we had had it done and thought they would ask, but they didn't. I have talked a couple of times to the counselor but she doesn't really know much. I've also tried to talk to the diagnostician but she only deals with kids who are below grade level or need special ed and flat told me she didn't have time to talk to me.

Oh, I did talk to the counselor about skipping but that was before we had the test results. She didn't have an opinion about it one way or another. She had to call someone else to find out the process for letting him take the test to skip. She's never given one.

I'm wondering if we should just go to the principal and say, "here is where he is, what can you do to help him?".

A
    A
    Originally Posted by squirt
    I'm wondering if we should just go to the principal and say, "here is where he is, what can you do to help him?".

Before you do that you might want to have some of your own ideas, I think. Do you want to skip him to 3rd? The TAKS isn't until the end of the year, and if he needs a skip because of his achievement level maybe taking it a year earlier would be ok. Would you rather ask for subject acceleration? Are you looking for placement with a particular teacher? Is there anything that you can think of that would help him?

I guess whether you went straight to the principal with the scores would depend on what you know about the principal. Some principals are not that educated about scores and their meaning, and others are very well educated. My mom is a school counselor, so I guess I'm inclined to always start with the counselor. But I've already learned in my 1 year of experience in public school that not all counselors match my mom in experience, attitude, and wisdom. smile It's too bad!

I do think you need some sort of starting point for accomodation, though, instead of just leaving it up to them from the beginning. When I've read about advocacy successes on this forum it seems that the people have gone in with a list. By the way, what is the test that he would take to skip? Did they tell you?

I hope this helps a little, Squirt! You know I'm here for ya!

Squirt, I've been wondering the same thing. I mentioned the testing to the teacher when she brought up that she was putting together a portfolio for DS for recommendation to the gifted program. I also mentioned it to the gifted coordinator since he didn't score high enough on their creativity test for the gifted program. I haven't decide if I'll send in the scores until I find out if the program is worth it. FOr me, I think the achievement testing will be more telling about what he needs.

S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi, all, I'm just bumping this back up because I'd like to hear some more answers. I think my timing was bad because I posted just as Mark was changing things, oops! Thanks Dazey and Amy for your responses.

My point is how do I approach the school with his test scores to see how/if they will accommodate him. So far, they've not indicated any willingness to do so but maybe the test scores will sway them. I guess I'm just looking for tactful ways to do this. Also, how do you use the grade equivalents to figure out what to ask for with subject acceleration?

And, Amy, he'd take the Credit By Examination to skip 2nd grade, but the deadline for registering for that has already passed. In addition, my husband is adamantly opposed to him skipping 2nd in the public school.

Thanks, all.

Our school had the test scores--heck, they administered the tests!--and they did nothing for DS6 whatsoever. So I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you.

I'll be reading with interest...

Kriston
    I struggled with how to use DS' scores with the school, too. After it was apparent that differentiation wasn't going to work for DS, I talked to the principal about what could be done. I outlined my concerns for DS and suggested that gradeskipping could be an alternative for him. Later, I formally requested the gradeskip. When the principal hemmed and hawed and told me how "unusual" my request was, I gave her a copy of his scores and said, "I know, but this is an unusual situation."

Cathy, I am glad you had luck with your school. Sounds like you have a great principal.
    My experience with handing in the girls' IQ tests was met with, we'll see how they do, originally.
    Now the school believes, at least DD8 is an exceptional learner far ahead of most of her peers.
    What really helped the school understand where she was, was achievement testing.
    The school seemed to understand that better.
    We used out of level achievement testing, the WIAT,
    I like it because it does keep asking questions out of grade level, so the scores do help you understand what grade a child is comparable to. It's not perfect, but I like it better than an achievement test that just measures at the current grade level. Many school administrators don't understand IQ scores and what the mean, but they do understand achievement tests.

Cathy, what are you hopeful for?
    smile

Originally Posted by squirt
    And, Amy, he'd take the Credit By Examination to skip 2nd grade, but the deadline for registering for that has already passed.

You can take the Credit by Examination tests at anytime through Texas Tech University. You can also take single subject exams if you are interested in subject acceleration.

Sadly, most educators do not understand what IQ test scores mean. I've always felt that the best way to explain IQ scores to educators is to share your child's IQ along with the IQ comparison chart (http://vcbconsulting.com/gtworld/iqgrade.html).

Summer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM