Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Ahhh-- you beat me to it! I was just coming to post this.

I'm flabbergasted at some of the comments which indicate that such a practice is "wrong" or "harmful," however...

and deeply saddened by the remarks from educators which indicate a mindset which entirely fails to even contemplate what to do with children who are either unable to learn at the pace of the other 25-30 children in a classroom... or have no need to "learn" anything being taught in that room to begin with, since they already know it.

The teacher who indicated that failing to 'group' for instruction was effectively failing to teach 2/3rd of the class in their proximal zone was absolutely accurate.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I'm flabbergasted at some of the comments which indicate that such a practice is "wrong" or "harmful," however...

and deeply saddened by the remarks from educators which indicate a mindset which entirely fails to even contemplate what to do with children who are either unable to learn at the pace of the other 25-30 children in a classroom... or have no need to "learn" anything being taught in that room to begin with, since they already know it.

What amazes me is that they really believe this stuff. Many people I've spoken to have been so committed to this kind of thing, there is no changing their opinions.

I remember debating a proposed project that was based on a blatantly pseudoscientific method. I was not the only person in the room who felt this way and we were picking it apart. Another person responded, "Everything you say is correct, but I'm going to give this one a very high rating because if it's right, it would just be so wonderful." frown

I honestly have no idea how to counter this way of "thinking."

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM