Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    For instance in this kind of problem, 769 divided by 47, I think he uses estimation to come to the answer. He ends up with the correct answer with a remainder more quickly than he could write out the problem and i take nearly the same amount of time to check his answer using traditional long division--but i compute very quickly. I've never computed in my head though.

I guess I'm surprised because this is my verbal kid who finds math concepts exciting but not the computation.

Last edited by KADmom; 06/09/13 11:20 AM.
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by QT3.1414
    KADmom: sometimes math proofs are really fun to read. Mabye it can help inspire your DS?

HowlerKarma: It sounds like your DD is the same. Perhaps she also needs more challenging problems that can encourage her to write steps out.

Mabye your children can eventually progress to unsolved math equations, or work on Fermat's theorem?
    Great idea. It would show him what math could be.

Last edited by KADmom; 06/09/13 11:18 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B
    In your example 7834095.56/143.8 it doesn't divide evenly (as a terminating decimal). When do you stop calculating, and in what form is the anser to be given?
    I contemplated getting up a calculator and trying it, but didn't, because I reckoned that if it didn't give a terminating decimal it would be even more interesting to get the child in question to ask such questions!

Originally Posted by 22B
    When I use a calculator I get 54479.10682 (a 10 digit approximation, not exact). But when you use long division, do you know a way of getting that the first digit of the quotient is 5 straight away without some trial and error (and subsequently the other digits the same way). Suppose, when you ask how many 10000's of 143.8 go into 7834095.56, if you carelessly guess 4 of them instead of 5, and subtract those off, you'll realise you haven't subtracted off enough 10000's of 143.8 and you have to subtract off one more before proceeding to the next digit of the quotient. The only way of avoiding this that I can see is to know the multiples of 143.8 up to 9*143.8, but I'd be curious to here other ideas. Can it be made purely mechanical. Of course it would be easier if we all used base 2.
    Well, it *is* purely mechanical: you just gave the procedure yourself. Binary admittedly easier, if longer, though!

This does relate to various interesting issues (that might make good discussion points with interested children) though. For example, we can get an approximation of the answer by using approximations of the arguments, and we can bound the error, but nevertheless, knowing when we have been precise enough to be sure about the first digit can be tricky. If you don't have access to full information about the arguments, it can be more than tricky, and one can go off into study of the on-line computable functions (which do not include division, IIRR)...

Balanced ternary notation is a cute and accessible thing to talk about in this context...

(Disclaimer: none of this is remotely my field, but I think I kept this vague enough not to be wrong...)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by 1111
    DS 5.5 is reluctant to writing out anything as well. Same thing, 2-4 digit division. Sometimes I will MAKE him do it to show me how he came to this answer and to make sure he knows how to "show his work". If I am not mistaken schools are big into this..... I like the idea of giving them really difficult problems so they see the benefit of writing it out. Great idea!

Not only do they expect the kids to show work, but I've found some unnecessary steps have been added to make the solution "clearer" but those seem to me to impede clarity. Of course that could be an issue of my age and I'm more of a verbal person...

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    For instance in this kind of problem, 769 divided by 47, I think he uses estimation to come to the answer. He ends up with the correct answer with a remainder more quickly than he could write out the problem and i take nearly the same amount of time to check his answer using traditional long division--but i compute very quickly. I've never computed in my head though.

I guess I'm surprised because this is my verbal kid who finds math concepts exciting but not the computation.

Okay. So it's not that there are tricks or shortcuts to this (like there would be with, say, 2017/125). It's just that it's not hard enough, relative to his mental skills, to force him to pencil and paper. Harder problems will convince him that it's sometimes necessary.

Also there are a couple of later reasons where the concepts are useful, e.g. rewriting x^3/(x+2) as x^2-2x+4-(8/(x+2)), which is analogous to rewriting 769/47 as 16 17/47.

Also, if this is really busywork, which "show your work" can sometimes become, maybe see if the teacher will accept a couple of "homemade" harder problems in place of writing all the details for the easier ones.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by 22B
    ...The only way of avoiding this that I can see is to know the multiples of 143.8 up to 9*143.8, but I'd be curious to here other ideas. Can it be made purely mechanical. ...
    Well, it *is* purely mechanical: you just gave the procedure yourself.
    Right. It's just that I've never seen it explicitly suggested. My son's courses presented it as partly trial and error. I don't remember what I did as a kid, but it could be that the problems weren't hard enough that I couldn't get each digit of the quotient right first time.

Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    This does relate to various interesting issues (that might make good discussion points with interested children) though. For example, we can get an approximation of the answer by using approximations of the arguments, and we can bound the error, but nevertheless, knowing when we have been precise enough to be sure about the first digit can be tricky. If you don't have access to full information about the arguments, it can be more than tricky, and one can go off into study of the on-line computable functions (which do not include division, IIRR)...

Ha! I have been led to exactly these mental meanderings inspired by my son's 4th/5th grade maths (except I don't know the definition of on-line computable functions, but I can guess based on the context).

I've been frustrated by the presentation of long division. Since there is a mechanical method, they should present it, even if laborious. You can still use faster methods (and/or mental arithmetic) where appropriate. Most questions in mathematics can't be solved by mechanical methods, but when they can, it's worth knowing about.

Exactly.

Quit teaching parlor tricks in elementary arithmetic, and teach the procedural ways that work FIRST.

DD always finds the laborious, old-school explanation of things like this to suit her learning needs better.

It's been horrifying to me that ten minutes worth of live instruction in a procedural method (including an quickie explanation of where it comes from and why it works that way) do more than WEEKS of problems based on individual special case examples.

This nonsense of 'construct your own basic understanding' through 'seeing' a variety of approaches is just... weird.

I shudder to think how little the average learner gets out of it. It's no wonder DD sees algebra students who can't work with fractions.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Z
    Z
    As to the long division, I would encourage him to continue to practice the mental skills. Then use the long division only as explanation or proof. I'm still a little peeved almost forty years later that school broke my ability to do complex division quickly in my head when they forced me to do long division. I think at some point later I would've understood it well enough to bullet proof it against their methods, but without continuing to use it I lost it. It didn't occur to me at the time that I would need to do something to preserve the skill.

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    As to the long division, I would encourage him to continue to practice the mental skills. Then use the long division only as explanation or proof. I'm still a little peeved almost forty years later that school broke my ability to do complex division quickly in my head when they forced me to do long division. I think at some point later I would've understood it well enough to bullet proof it against their methods, but without continuing to use it I lost it. It didn't occur to me at the time that I would need to do something to preserve the skill.

Thanks for your perspective and reminder.

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Yup.

DD balked this way at writing out dimensional analysis when she was about 8-- but her dad and I both know that there is wayyyyyy more at stake there than being able to convert units properly-- basically about 90% of quantitative determination is being able to recognize when you have the right quantities in the right locations in calculations, and following the units and making sure that they "come out" right is the KEY to doing them.

So we wanted her to very definitely view equivalent values as fractional conversion factors which equal one, and to WRITE.THEM.OUT.

She was very resistant because she could do the (simple) assigned conversions in her head just fine. Except, of course, when she got something turned upside down, which was about 20% of the tine.

Eventually, I came up with a story about Henrietta* the chicken, who was having a dinner party, but wanted things "just so" for her many guests... and needed the proportions of guests to cockroach appetizers, musical numbers, etc. to be perfect.

It was quite a complex problem-- far more complex than I've ever given to a freshman college student struggling with dimensional analysis, but it worked with DD.

Yes to making the problems HARD ENOUGH TO REQUIRE what you're seeking from them.

* Henrietta was a sort of barnyard Martha Stewart on a budget, as it happened... so she needed to make sure that she had planned out her shopping with her purchasing power in mind. (My own DD responds best to problems which are quirky or surreal. IMMV.)

Love the Henrietta problem.

Last edited by KADmom; 06/09/13 05:08 PM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM