Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    CFK Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I remember there was some discussion awhile back about the AOPS courses. I'm wondering about the amount of homework and time needed to be allotted to the course outside of the class. Also, how the class is structured - what needs to be done online during the course. I think someone mentioned that the course moves fast and goes deeper than ordinary middle school Algebra, is this true? And finally, the site mentions LaTex, is this absolutely necessary? Thanks

I'm interested in the answers, too, so if you don't mind "sharing with the class," I'd be grateful. smile

I'm always reading the recs of everyone here with great interest! Future reference and all that...

Kriston
    CFK
    Here is a link to the latest discussion about AoPS books and courses:
    *** Link no longer working ***

To answer your questions: DS13 is currently in Intro to Number Theory. This is his third or fourth class from AoPS. You (and your child) learn how to approach AoPS as you go. Of course the more you put in, the more you get out of it.
    In my son's case, he absolutely has to attend the class, reading from transcript is just reading, if you know what I mean smile
    AoPS class meets once a week for an hour and half. Your child will get the most out of the class if he/she participates in an online discussion/solves or attempts to solve problems that are posted by the instructor. To do this you not only have to have a good grasp of the subject (they ask that you prepare by reading the assigned chapter), but you also need to type fast and accurate. Using LaTex is a nice bonus but it is by no means necessary. Your child will learn LaTex as he goes along.
    I would not worry about too much repetition, it most likely is not going to be a problem wink
    After each lesson an instructor posts online problems, generally about 10 of them per week. They are not necessarily based on the material covered during the lesson, sometimes they go ahead (Ghost is not able to solve many of them initially but has no problems a week or two later). There are also so called "challenge sets", 2 or 3 of them(between 15-20 problems each), depending on the class, that are evaluated but not graded.
    Time wise it is very challenging for my DS13, as it is done outside of his regular school and other EC activities.
    I wonder what Cym will say here, but I honestly believe that an hour a day (meaning 7 hours a week) at least is needed to be able to complete posted problems and the challenge sets. At least, sometimes more.
    As I have indicated before, IMO AoPS is for mathy kids. The problems are difficult because 90% of them go outside of the book. This is problem solving/contest mathematics, not so much regular school curriculum.
    Also, remember that you are taking this class in the evening and at home. Not the best environement to stay focused. As we go along I have figured out ways for Ghost to stay focused and involved, but it did take some time .
    Ghost is not able to take Algebra class that is starting in June, but I do hope they will have another one available in the fall. We have already agreed in our house that he is going to do Intro to Algebra followed by Intro to Geometry, even though he will be in Pre-Calc next year.

P.S.

The last two classes in Intro to Number Theory they have been focusing on Modular Arithmetic and Abstract Algebra.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

For those of you mathy parents out there - is this ever encountered in the "regular" curriculum?

Thanks for the links Ania! Sadly, I am not the math person in the family, you may remember my high school said I had "math anxiety" and was not required to take any more math past Algebra I! I may order the first Aops set for my husband to look at and decide when to introduce it to DD8.
    Interestingly, the older I get, the more interested I am becoming in more advanced math concepts, maybe influenced by DD and DH's interest!

Originally Posted by Ania
    P.S.

The last two classes in Intro to Number Theory they have been focusing on Modular Arithmetic and Abstract Algebra.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

For those of you mathy parents out there - is this ever encountered in the "regular" curriculum?

I don't know. I didn't experience the regular curriculum myself and my kids have not encountered modular arithmetic at school, except in the form of time-telling.

Cathy

C
    C
    I've seen it in college courses, but never before college.
    This concept is also covered in computer programming courses.

That said, it's thought-provoking and while students don't NEED it, I recommend it as a concept to learn, or at least be exposed to.

If I am not mistaken, Dottie was the one who actually purchased the Algebra book and was doing it with her son (?)
    What are your thoughts Dottie???

Dottie,
    I am asking about this :

Re: Math Book [Re: LMom]
    CFK

Loc: Thankful it's almost summer! Dottie (because I know you are the possessor of many math books!)

What do you think of the AoPS Algebra book compared to others you have? I'm considering enrolling DS in the June AoPS Algebra class but would really like to see the text first. There is a discount if you buy the text at the same time as enrolling so I don't want to waste money by ending up doing both at separate times. I'm looking for indepth but with minimal repetition.

I'm with Cym, the math curricula at our school is just not as rigorous as we would like. The school is using SAXON Algebra right now of which I'm not a big fan.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

#13746 - April 14, 2008 17:10 Re: Math Book [Re: CFK]
    Dottie

Loc: Working off the "fat" part... Ask me again in a few weeks CFK! LOL! Seriously...I'm familiar with DD13's book (very weak) and my college algebra (tough language) version, and was hoping for something in between. AoPS seems to be just that. There are some sections available for previewing on their website that give you a nice flavor.

If I use the college book, I'll be doing a lot of "work" and giving lessons to DS. With the AoPS, I'm hoping he'll read most of the actual lessons. I like the writer's style, and right away he's joking about how in just a few chapters they can break the previous rules, and take the square root of a negative number. From the very little I've read so far, it truly seems to be more indepth book written for children (the college book is clearly not written for children!) It's not a children's book by any stretch, so don't get that impression, but rather an engaging read for the young GT mind.

But in a few weeks, I'll definitely have a more thought out response.

Despite my own math background, I can really only speak well on books I've become aquainted with in the last few years (forgetting about the 20 year break!) At the moment, algebra is a personal "hole" for me in that area, so I'm not an expert by any stretch.

LOL, I am just re-reading this thread and realizing that I have missed completely Dottie's response on the previous page.
    Dottie, excuse me, I am cleaning, packing, washing and surfing the net at the same time smile
    Obviously, I can't do it all! My last post before this makes no sense. Sorry again !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM