Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Really? I was looking at age requirements and the earliest I found wad 14, but in a different state. If Flinders also allows it, that's great. Although, I don't know if I would I ready for it! Uni is so grown up. That's why I thought with OUA he would be in the safety of his home. But, it's a long way off. I'll reevaluate in a few years.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Squishys, if he's really ready then there will be a way, Flinders Uni has made it work at least once.
    Originally Posted by squishys
    Really? I was looking at age requirements and the earliest I found wad 14, but in a different state. If Flinders also allows it, that's great. Although, I don't know if I would I ready for it! Uni is so grown up. That's why I thought with OUA he would be in the safety of his home. But, it's a long way off. I'll reevaluate in a few years.

squishys, in case you didn't catch MumOfThree's reference:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I don't catch on to anything lol. Thanks for the link!

G
    G
    Hi Squishys, UNSW has early admission for students 15 years or younger. http://www.unsw.edu.au/future-students/early-admission-exceptionally-talented-students-scheme. My wife works there and we have DS4 who is EG so it has come across our radar. Just need to get through the next decade!!

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I'm not sure if I could send my baby away to another state any younger than 18! My son has an ambitious goal of finishing uni at 11 LOL!!

M
    M
    Squishys my child is not a math prodigy in even the slightest fashion, so I have no experience here. But honestly I think that these kids of ours are so unpredictable that you dont want to panic too much yet. And even in our anti gifted state, truly out there kids have been accommodated successfully before, so you know that handled well, for the right child, a path can be found...

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I'm so naive about this gifted stuff it's embarrassing. I've only just learnt that you can be verbally OR mathematically gifted, or both, in the last year *blush* I am a very organised person so I like to have a plan. I am following my son's lead, so it is good to know that there are options. I really don't think, though, that I would send him on campus, just online uni stuff for fun.

It is amazing how anti gifted this state is. Although I find it is just the school system and teachers- the people are quite open and excited to hear about gifted stories, in my experience.

M
    M
    Squishys I would tread carefully with who you talk to socially as well to be honest, I am extremely cautious these days. I've actually found (with a psych report in my hand) that schools have not been too hard to deal with, they cant always help, but they don't deny what's on the paper in front of them. Have you looked at PAC and Saints? It's where I would start looking if I had a boy, particularly an asynchronous mathy boy.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    I don't share info too freely, but some people notice. By 'people' I meant more like my friends and family.

I have considered PAC, but I'll probably go with Glenunga International (since we are atheists). It's a toss up between the rich kids or the smart kids. I have no idea. I'll start researching it more in a few years.

A
    A
    I've been following this thread and wanted to thank all the posters who've contributed to the discussion. This is one of the most informative threads I've seen on the forum!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM