Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 314 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Is this very bad?

Or merely moderately so?

Oh, it's good.

This means that the state will make sure that your children support you in your old age so you don't have to worry about saving for retirement.

Another problem solved.

Hey, I get it!

So, say you have three kids and they all need student loans. One of them is disabled at age 25 or so and can't pay off the loans. Mom and Dad get to pay them off.

But then Mom can't afford nursing home care for dad when he's 77 because they had to pay off $50,000 in loans plus interest.

It's okay because the state of PA can go after the kids and make them pay the bills.

What a wonderful circle of debt serfs!

Surely something from Les Mis would be appropriate here...

Maybe we should ask my DD, as she seems to excel at this kind of thing.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Surely something from Les Mis would be appropriate here...

Maybe we should ask my DD, as she seems to excel at this kind of thing.

Made even more depressingly contemporary a la Rent...

Become what you are
    D
    D
    Cost of in-state tuition and room and board at VA Tech is about $19,000.

Cost for a good full-day preschool in Northern Virginia for 9.5 months is about $16,000. Of course, many preschoolers wont get the summer off, so their parents will pay over $20,000 in a year.

So if you can afford preschool in NOVA, you can afford to send your kids to VA Tech, too (assuming they get in).

What is VA Tech's rate of acceptance among preschoolers these days, anyway?

Because it seems like ultimately that is something of a cost savings, given the 1K differential... wink

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    Cost of in-state tuition and room and board at VA Tech is about $19,000.

Cost for a good full-day preschool in Northern Virginia for 9.5 months is about $16,000. Of course, many preschoolers wont get the summer off, so their parents will pay over $20,000 in a year.

So if you can afford preschool in NOVA, you can afford to send your kids to VA Tech, too (assuming they get in).

Well, if you can afford to pay for college, you can afford it.

I suspect that not everyone in northern Virginia can afford to send their kids to preschool.

It's the people who can't afford college who are having the biggest problems.

Also-- in case it wasn't obvious, just because you can afford a top-notch preschool in 2012 and 2013 does NOT mean that you'll be able to afford a similarly prestigious college in 2025 or so.

Given the rates of increase in college tuition, that 19K is likely to look more like 70K then.

The answer is clear. Best to send them to college as soon as humanly possible. wink

It's the people who can't afford college who are having the biggest problems.

And at the rate that things are going that includes almost all families except those at the very bottom and the extreme top ends of the income scale.

But as Jonlaw so pithily put it, those being excluded from the opportunities here are irrelevant.

Last edited by madeinuk; 06/06/13 09:09 AM.

Become what you are
    The escalating cost of health care has created a new industry called "medical tourism." How much further do college costs have to increase until we hit the price point at which it makes sense to pursue a degree at the University of Costa Rica?

D
    D
    You're extrapolating costs, HK. My point was one of perspective. At the current time, college and preschool can be about the same price. Yet in my experience, paying for college is made out to be much more daunting. We have federal loans, 529 plans, etc. to help pay for college. People are expected to save their pennies in the hopes of one day being able to help their kids go to college. I was quite surprised when I realized that I was already paying something similar to college education costs, and I was doing it without saving, and with little forethought. Of course that's not the case for everyone, but I'm not rich. I suppose I'm getting close by some definitions, but those definitions don't take location into account. I'm also not much of a spender. I tend to value money the way my parents taught me to ... and we weren't well off.

At any rate, I'm not sure if VA Tech has a summer program or what it would cost, but that would be something to consider for the PG preschooler ready for college wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM