Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    At this point, I'm trying to figure out why people don't form childcare cooperatives.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    At this point, I'm trying to figure out why people don't form childcare cooperatives.

I totally agree!! I sent my daughter to a coop for preschool and it was a fraction of the cost of normal preschool. Granted, I had to be available to work 2 classes a month as a helper and I had to take a job at the preschool (my job was newsletter editor, which I loved doing because I am a Technical Writer). But the experience was so much more relaxed, the parents actually had a say in everything and hired the teachers, and the cost was affordable. Co-op is a great way to go, IMHO (if you can!)

Last edited by kelly0523; 06/03/13 01:53 PM.
    Val Offline

Presumably because they're busy working.

We already do, we just don't call it that. We call it "play dates" and "sleep-overs."

Originally Posted by Elisa
    Many colleges are at 60k a year including room, board, transportation and personal expenses. What each family pays varies based on income and assets. Each college calculates financial aid based on its own formula. To get an idea of how much your family might pay, go to a college's website and fill out the net price calculator. Some colleges are more generous than others. Some only give out need based aid while others give merit based aid to attract good students.

Remember, too, that "met need" in college parlance means that the bill gets paid.

The real bottom line there is that the number of "loan-free" institutions (much-touted back in 2005 and 2006) has quietly shrunk from several hundred to less than a few dozen.

So a college may well consider your costs to be covered-- that is, "need has been met" with financial aid package-- when:

a) EFC = 25% of household income, say 20K. If college tuition is 40K annually, then furthermore--

b) merit or need based scholarships = 6K
    c) work-study, 2K
    d) loans, 12K

Presto--

20 K of annual "need" has been met! Hurray!

Just noting that. If they don't specifically state that they don't consider loans to be part of financial aid packages when reporting what percentage of students have "need met" by the institution, then it means that loans ARE part of how they meet that need.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    a) EFC = 25% of household income, say 20K. If college tuition is 40K annually, then furthermore--

b) merit or need based scholarships = 6K
    c) work-study, 2K
    d) loans, 12K

Presto--

20 K of annual "need" has been met! Hurray!

And if costs are 60K, you can probably pile another 10-15K onto that loan.

Either way, presto ---

You have a student with a minimum of ~50K in loans and maybe up to 100K (many reasonable people would call the latter number "the equivalent of a mortgage"). And a solid chunk of it will be private loans (no bankruptcy protection, maybe even interest accrual while studying).

But need (especially the bank's laugh ) has been met!

Last edited by Val; 06/03/13 05:46 PM. Reason: Add smiley for happy bank
    Val Offline
    Here's the latest idea to fleece students.

Elizabeth Warren wants to set student loans rates at the rates the big banks enjoy (currently <1%). The proposal in the first paragraph wants to set student loan rates at the 10-year Treasury rate plus three percent. The authors say that this is great because the current rate is 1.75%, so students would be paying <5%. grin grin grin

But...what will happen when Treasury rates go up? I think we all know what treasury rates looked like in the 70s. And the 80s (eek). And the 90s. And the 2000s. Err...

Perhaps I misunderstood. Perhaps ten-year Treasury rates have now found a permanent home below 2%. You know: T rates will always go down, just like home values were always going to go UP.

Last edited by Val; 06/05/13 01:09 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Originally Posted by Val
    Here's the latest idea to fleece students.

Elizabeth Warren wants to set student loans rates at the rates the big banks enjoy (currently <1%). The proposal in the first paragraph wants to set student loan rates at the 10-year Treasury rate plus three percent. The authors say that this is great because the current rate is 1.75%, so students would be paying <5%. grin grin grin

But...what will happen when Treasury rates go up? I think we all know what treasury rates looked like in the 70s. And the 80s (eek). And the 90s. And the 2000s. Err...

Perhaps I misunderstood. Perhaps ten-year Treasury rates have now found a permanent home below 2%. You know: T rates will always go down, just like home values were always going to go UP.

I don't think our economy will function if interest rates rise.

So, they will keep rates near zero until something really bad happens.

Define 'really bad' there, if you will.

Because I'm thinking that the mortgage bubble... was really bad.

Collapse of real estate values nationwide... really bad again.

Majority of bankruptcies tied to medical debt... pretty much a new low of "really bad" if you ask me.

Impending retirement of a generation which will completely bankrupt both medicare and social security, leaving Gen X-ers with nothing... well, this seems really, really bad from my perspective AS a member of the leading edge of GenX.

Recent college graduate unemployment numbers over 10%... also really bad.

The fact that such debt is now undischargeable... whoahhhhh.. I think we're going to need some new words, because that strikes me as roughly analogous to calling Hiroshima "unfortunate collateral damage."

But maybe I'm missing something.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Define 'really bad' there, if you will.

Because I'm thinking that the mortgage bubble... was really bad.

Collapse of real estate values nationwide... really bad again.

Majority of bankruptcies tied to medical debt... pretty much a new low of "really bad" if you ask me.

Impending retirement of a generation which will completely bankrupt both medicare and social security, leaving Gen X-ers with nothing... well, this seems really, really bad from my perspective AS a member of the leading edge of GenX.

Recent college graduate unemployment numbers over 10%... also really bad.

The fact that such debt is now undischargeable... whoahhhhh.. I think we're going to need some new words, because that strikes me as roughly analogous to calling Hiroshima "unfortunate collateral damage."

But maybe I'm missing something.

Well, there's a problem with some of your analysis.

(Because I'm thinking that the mortgage bubble... was really bad.)

- It's been fixed with massive QE. Problem solved.

(Collapse of real estate values nationwide... really bad again.)

- It's been fixed with massive QE. Problem solved.

(Majority of bankruptcies tied to medical debt... pretty much a new low of "really bad" if you ask me.)

- This is irrelevant. Relevant people don't have this problem.

(Impending retirement of a generation which will completely bankrupt both medicare and social security, leaving Gen X-ers with nothing... well, this seems really, really bad from my perspective AS a member of the leading edge of GenX.)

- This problem can be solved with massive issuance of debt at 0% and/or more QE. To the extent that it can't, the problem is likely to only impact irrelevant people anyway.

(Recent college graduate unemployment numbers over 10%... also really bad.)

- I'm pretty sure that Princeton grads are still employable as high-powered consultants, I-bankers, or congressional staffers. The 10% are probably irrelevant people.

(The fact that such debt is now undischargeable... whoahhhhh..)

- Relevant people have their parents pay for college at Princeton.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM