Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 190 of 268 1 2 188 189 190 191 192 267 268
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    mithawk, what an outstanding result for your DS. He must feel so proud that all his hard work paid off.

Thank you. When he first showed interest in chess, we encouraged even though he wasn't a natural that could immediately see the right move (we know those players too). He had to work hard for it, which makes this even more rewarding.

That's great about your daughter UM, I think the kids can be more genuine. Sometimes the teachers view seems colored by other stuff, like behavior or personality.

And space and astronomy were the major areas I knew nothing about so of course that is what DS loves. I can hang in there for awhile longer on physics, chemistry and bio but astronomy I am learning with him, it's kind of fun.

Deacongirl - love the idea of writing a letter - also really good for DS to get encourage to write or type non school stuff.

DeHe

U
    U
    DeHe--DD is not a good fit with this teacher. Last year's teacher saw that she has a good heart underneath her occasional prickliness and constant question-authority attitude, but I don't think this one ever saw her good side. frown I was pretty sure that she was well liked by her classmates (though she is totally not a queen bee), but this makes me more sure. smile She is also an outstanding student who writes funny stories and draws well, and I think this is admired at her school, which is a GT magnet.

mithawk--congratulations to your son!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DeHe--DD is not a good fit with this teacher. Last year's teacher saw that she has a good heart underneath her occasional prickliness and constant question-authority attitude, but I don't think this one ever saw her good side. frown I was pretty sure that she was well liked by her classmates (though she is totally not a queen bee), but this makes me more sure. smile She is also an outstanding student who writes funny stories and draws well, and I think this is admired at her school, which is a GT magnet.

mithawk--congratulations to your son!
    I am happy your daughter's classmates voted for her. The teacher makes me so sad though.

U
    U
    She is kind of a polarizing kid. She doesn't back down easily, and she will absolutely let you know whenever you're wrong. (She has corrected grammar mistakes on homework sheets several times this year.) At the same time, she has a soft heart and a generous spirit, and she really throws herself into things. Certain adults really don't like her, and others really enjoy her despite her challenging traits. People *remember* her--her kindergarten teacher was asking a friend about her the other day, though she hasn't seen her in three years (we left that school), and told my friend how much she had loved having her in her class (this is funny to me because it didn't always seem that way to me at that time!!) We had been pretty lucky up till this year.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    She is kind of a polarizing kid. She doesn't back down easily, and she will absolutely let you know whenever you're wrong. (She has corrected grammar mistakes on homework sheets several times this year.) At the same time, she has a soft heart and a generous spirit, and she really throws herself into things. Certain adults really don't like her, and others really enjoy her despite her challenging traits. People *remember* her--her kindergarten teacher was asking a friend about her the other day, though she hasn't seen her in three years (we left that school), and told my friend how much she had loved having her in her class (this is funny to me because it didn't always seem that way to me at that time!!) We had been pretty lucky up till this year.

I would love to have a kid like that in my classroom. I hope that next year she has a teacher who can appreciate her.

U
    U
    I hear her potential teachers next year are great!! So we're hopeful. She has proven herself to be resilient this year in the face of this non-match (after a rocky start) and has gotten straight As anyway. I am proud of her.

That's a really big thing to be proud of, UM! I'm so glad that your DD is ending her year on a high note. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    N
    N
    DS10 got the school's only President's Award for Educational Excellence today, along with his name on a plaque! He's so proud! It was even enough that he's not completely jealous of his sister's Perfect Attendance pennant. laugh

I thought I was recording the presentation, when I realized halfway through the principal's speech that the camera said "standby" and not "record", grrrr....

Awww-- that's a GREAT memory, even if you didn't get a recording, Nautigal. smile WTG to your DS!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 190 of 268 1 2 188 189 190 191 192 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM