Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (oop), 0 Guests and 221 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    HushHush5309, optimisticmum, oop, Paribus, jemond75
    10955 Registered Users
    April
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 190 of 263 < 1 2 ... 188 189 190 191 192 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #157717 - 05/22/13 09:28 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: deacongirl]
    mithawk Offline

Originally Posted By: deacongirl

That is fantastic! Why can't you tell anyone? That kind of thing is totally celebrated around here, and I don't think it would be possible to keep it a secret. Congrats to your ds!

Thank you. I know it is welcome here.

But others have widely diverging reactions. Our older relatives (my or my wife's parents, aunts, etc.) are happy to hear about it.

But it's a very different ballgame when it comes to relatives or friends with school age children. We became wary a few years ago when he first won a state championship. It made several people uncomfortable, including some of our cousins.

#157718 - 05/22/13 09:34 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: mithawk]
    deacongirl Offline

Originally Posted By: mithawk
    Originally Posted By: deacongirl

That is fantastic! Why can't you tell anyone? That kind of thing is totally celebrated around here, and I don't think it would be possible to keep it a secret. Congrats to your ds!

Thank you. I know it is welcome here.

But others have widely diverging reactions. Our older relatives (my or my wife's parents, aunts, etc.) are happy to hear about it.

But it's a very different ballgame when it comes to relatives or friends with school age children. We became wary a few years ago when he first won a state championship. It made several people uncomfortable, including some of our cousins.

That stinks. Still--so great for your ds that he loves chess and is doing well!

#157725 - 05/22/13 10:07 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: aquinas]
    mithawk Offline

Originally Posted By: aquinas
    mithawk, what an outstanding result for your DS. He must feel so proud that all his hard work paid off.

Thank you. When he first showed interest in chess, we encouraged even though he wasn't a natural that could immediately see the right move (we know those players too). He had to work hard for it, which makes this even more rewarding.

#157726 - 05/22/13 10:09 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ultramarina]
    DeHe Offline

That's great about your daughter UM, I think the kids can be more genuine. Sometimes the teachers view seems colored by other stuff, like behavior or personality.

And space and astronomy were the major areas I knew nothing about so of course that is what DS loves. I can hang in there for awhile longer on physics, chemistry and bio but astronomy I am learning with him, it's kind of fun.

Deacongirl - love the idea of writing a letter - also really good for DS to get encourage to write or type non school stuff.

DeHe

#157732 - 05/22/13 10:27 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    ultramarina Offline

DeHe--DD is not a good fit with this teacher. Last year's teacher saw that she has a good heart underneath her occasional prickliness and constant question-authority attitude, but I don't think this one ever saw her good side. frown I was pretty sure that she was well liked by her classmates (though she is totally not a queen bee), but this makes me more sure. smile She is also an outstanding student who writes funny stories and draws well, and I think this is admired at her school, which is a GT magnet.

mithawk--congratulations to your son!

#157740 - 05/22/13 10:45 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ultramarina]
    deacongirl Offline

Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    DeHe--DD is not a good fit with this teacher. Last year's teacher saw that she has a good heart underneath her occasional prickliness and constant question-authority attitude, but I don't think this one ever saw her good side. frown I was pretty sure that she was well liked by her classmates (though she is totally not a queen bee), but this makes me more sure. smile She is also an outstanding student who writes funny stories and draws well, and I think this is admired at her school, which is a GT magnet.

mithawk--congratulations to your son!

I am happy your daughter's classmates voted for her. The teacher makes me so sad though.

#157743 - 05/22/13 10:52 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    ultramarina Offline

She is kind of a polarizing kid. She doesn't back down easily, and she will absolutely let you know whenever you're wrong. (She has corrected grammar mistakes on homework sheets several times this year.) At the same time, she has a soft heart and a generous spirit, and she really throws herself into things. Certain adults really don't like her, and others really enjoy her despite her challenging traits. People *remember* her--her kindergarten teacher was asking a friend about her the other day, though she hasn't seen her in three years (we left that school), and told my friend how much she had loved having her in her class (this is funny to me because it didn't always seem that way to me at that time!!) We had been pretty lucky up till this year.

#158032 - 05/23/13 07:30 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: ultramarina]
    deacongirl Offline

Originally Posted By: ultramarina
    She is kind of a polarizing kid. She doesn't back down easily, and she will absolutely let you know whenever you're wrong. (She has corrected grammar mistakes on homework sheets several times this year.) At the same time, she has a soft heart and a generous spirit, and she really throws herself into things. Certain adults really don't like her, and others really enjoy her despite her challenging traits. People *remember* her--her kindergarten teacher was asking a friend about her the other day, though she hasn't seen her in three years (we left that school), and told my friend how much she had loved having her in her class (this is funny to me because it didn't always seem that way to me at that time!!) We had been pretty lucky up till this year.

I would love to have a kid like that in my classroom. I hope that next year she has a teacher who can appreciate her.

#158034 - 05/23/13 07:35 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    ultramarina Offline

I hear her potential teachers next year are great!! So we're hopeful. She has proven herself to be resilient this year in the face of this non-match (after a rocky start) and has gotten straight As anyway. I am proud of her.

#158035 - 05/23/13 08:03 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    HowlerKarma Offline

That's a really big thing to be proud of, UM! I'm so glad that your DD is ending her year on a high note. smile

Page 190 of 263 < 1 2 ... 188 189 190 191 192 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Geography: Geodatos (coordinates, antipode, more)
    by indigo
    Today at 05:45 AM
    cancelling of humanities studies
    by cricket3
    Today at 05:07 AM
    books for adults
    by indigo
    Yesterday at 11:24 AM
    Analogy: Advocacy as a Non-Newtonian Fluid
    by indigo
    Yesterday at 07:28 AM
    OAGC/ODE Gifted Education under COVID