Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 131 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 130 131
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I keep hearing about Vi Hart--are there videos on Youtube? Any particular recommendations? Sorry to hijack.

These are the ones DD's been watching:

A
    A
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    i'm mainly posting this to encourage more contributions - things are difficult these days and all your stories are just the greatest.

and this just happened:

DD5 comes bursting out of her room. "I THINK I'LL WASH MY KIDNEYS!" i snort, laughing, and she comes back with a withering, "my medical model kidneys, not my internal organ kidneys... honestly, woman!"

Ooooh, do want!

D
    D
    medical models really are the gift that keeps on giving. DD does the conventional kind of stuff with them, but the organs also give puppet show performances and they often feature in (extremely creepy) still-life artwork. they lead very full lives - which probably explains why they might need washing from time-to-time!

ps - i was actually just watching the Vi Hart stuff - it's amazing.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    A
    Lines DS19mo has come up with lately (excuse the focus on body functions, please):

To Grandpa in a cautionary, not reactive way -- "Don't pick your nose, Grandpa!"

Something that has been repeated often, complete with dreamy, happy baby eyes-- "I love nursing!"

Upon seeing a book targeted at young children on toilet training, at FULL VOLUME in a crowded bookstore-- "Look, Mummy! Little boy is pooping inside small toilet!!!"

After giving a flower to another little boy at the playground yesterday, DS was disappointed when the little boy didn't verbally acknowledge the gift. He pauses a second, eyebrows raised expectantly, then says "you're welcome". No response. He waits a moment before saying in an exasperated tone, "thank YOU."

What is to give light must endure burning.
    DS (6) asked to make a sonar screen today. Something for a large screen that he can sit inside.

When I was questioning him on his design (on paper) he said dad showed him some new technology from Gorilla Glass and he wanted to use it for the screen because it can bend.

He wanted my help to buy it online...but he said he needs help spelling "gorilla". laugh

Not having a clue what he was talking about, I Googled and found this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18329974

Cool. I want some.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    i'm mainly posting this to encourage more contributions - things are difficult these days and all your stories are just the greatest.

and this just happened:

DD5 comes bursting out of her room. "I THINK I'LL WASH MY KIDNEYS!" i snort, laughing, and she comes back with a withering, "my medical model kidneys, not my internal organ kidneys... honestly, woman!"

DS5 is very into anatomy too. We got the Visibile Body app. Kind of pricey at around $40 but worth it.

M
    M
    Doubtful guest -- I agree the stories do make me smile!

Here's one I'll share about DD2, upon receiving a new puzzle this weekend. Definitely made me smile:

DD2: It's really cool.
    (Looks it over for a minute.)
    DD2: I can't wait to show Grandma.
    Me: Why's that?
    DD2: She'll say, (super high voice), "Oh you precious child! What a gorgeous new puzzle you have! Can we do it together?"

DD2, continuing: And when baby Livvy comes to play she'll say, "Puzzz-le? Ooo!" And when Dada comes home, he'll say, (deep voice) "Did you get a new puzzle today?"

She's done these impressions a few times before, but this was the first time she'd strung them together. DS6 used to do this. He'd give such accurate imitations of his friends when retelling stories about their time together. One of those things that I remember made me go, "Hmmm..." smile

I love that, Mana! She sounds (affecting my British accent) absolutely delightful!

She thought she could, so she did.
    K
    K
    LOL Mana! Love the accent, so cute!

L
    L
    At 6:30 am, pre-coffee, the bathroom door bursts open in an effort to surprise me. It worked.
    A wild-eyed DS4.5, who usually sleeps much later says:

"Are you pooping mom?"
    "Yeah. Do you have to go?"
    "No. I just really want to show you something on Minecraft."

*sigh*

Page 6 of 131 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM