Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 191 of 268 1 2 189 190 191 192 193 267 268
    DD13 has now-- twice-- gotten a perfect 800 on the writing sections of her practice SATs.

Why is this a brag?

Because like a lot of HG+ kids, her writing is her weakest domain by far, and writing longhand generally makes things far worse.

Or it was, anyway. She has come a L-O-N-G way in two years with the assistance of one amazing English teacher.

Second run through the practice tests, she also hit >720 on the other two sections, as well. She should also be able to finish in only a couple hours. Most sections, she had 10-14 minutes leftover time, to boot.

I'm definitely thrilled for her!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    DS3.2 got a green stuffed Leapfrog dog Scout for his birthday (I'm sure pretty much anyone knows who Scout and Violet). And while he knows the dog's name is Scout because he knows him from all the Leapfrog movies, from day 1 he had called him Dog just that ... DOG. And today when he pointed to his "Dog" he says: "S.C.O.U.T. spells SCOUT!" ... I guess reading is no longer enough? Looks like we might be entering the era of spelling attempts? smile

That's so cool!

Our DS loved the Leapfrog DVD's and toys. He has a Leapster2 with a ton of cartridges (bought used on ebay) that have kept him busy in the car since he was your DS' age. It's sad that he's nearing the end of the usability of those since they only go to age 8.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    ... I guess reading is no longer enough? Looks like we might be entering the era of spelling attempts? smile

Cool! That's the fun point where friends and family discover that they can no longer spell things to keep them secret from your child. smile

I thought it was a lot of fun to see how long it took others to recognize that it wouldn't work, though. wink

Fun times, Mk13!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    That's so cool!

Our DS loved the Leapfrog DVD's and toys. He has a Leapster2 with a ton of cartridges (bought used on ebay) that have kept him busy in the car since he was your DS' age. It's sad that he's nearing the end of the usability of those since they only go to age 8.

We have the Leapster2 as well, on top of two Leappads, Mobigo, Innotab, V.Reader but the Leappad seems to be the all time winner these days but I feel like we're already outgrowing it. Both boys are hooked on my Kindle Fire HD apps and books so I guess that's the direction where we're going next. Though I much prefer the Leapfrog and Vtech apps on their toys since I find those a lot more educational. I wish both Leapfrog and Vtech had apps that could be used on Kindle or Android phones frown

G
    G
    Ack! DD 10 just one first place in a national poetry contest!

D
    D
    yay!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    U
    U
    Ack? That's awesome, gabalyn! smile

DD9 got her scores back from a stupid standardized test that her teacher and school terrorized her class about for weeks. The test is easy, but she was so nervous about this that I started to worry she would mess up due to sheer anxiety. I don't have her fine-level score breakdown yet, but on the broad scale she maxed out her scores.

G
    G
    Ack was just sheer shock. Congrats to your daughter, um!

Page 191 of 268 1 2 189 190 191 192 193 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM