Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I am starting a new thread on this topic following the topic having come up on a number of threads including this one: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/157401.html#Post157401

A few posters here have mentioned actual studies that show the CogAT to be a poor predictor of giftedness, but no one has posted any actual studies to my knowledge. The only one I had seen was the old one from the 1980s that I posted in the above referenced thread on the OLSAT vs. the WISC-R.

I have found a few others though, although they are not available in their entirety online as far as I can tell. Here's what I've got thus far:

An Examination of the Relationship Between the WISC-III and the Cognitive Abilities Test for Selection of Students for a Gifted Program - this appears to be an 84 page dissertation with the following excerpt/abstract:

The present investigation compared the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, Third Edition (WISC-III) and the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) scores for 12 children who were placed in a gifted program. A comparison of the correlations using the Pearson product-moment correlation showed no significant correlation between these measures. A correlated t test showed no significant mean difference between these measures on the Performance and the Full Scale IQ means. Significant difference was found on the mean IQs of the Verbal section of these instruments. Implications concerning the study are discussed.
    http://books.google.com/books/about/An_Examination_of_the_Relationship_Betwe.html?id=mX5cOAAACAAJ

The Woodcock-Johnson III and the Cognitive Abilities Test (Form 6): A concurrent validity study - pdf available in its entirety online here: http://faculty.education.uiowa.edu/docs/dlohman/CogAT_WJIII_final_2col-2r.pdf

with the following abstract,
    This study investigated the concurrent validity of the Woodcock-Johnson III (WJ-III; Woodcock, McGrew, & Mather, 2001) and Form 6 of the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT; Lohman & Hagen, 2001). A total of 178 students in grades 2, 5, and 9 were administered 13 tests from the WJ-III and the appropriate level of the CogAT. Interbattery confirmatory factor analyses showed that the general factors on the two batteries correlated r = .82. Correlations between broad-group clusters on the WJ-III and battery-level scores on the CogAT generally supported the construct interpretations of each, but also suggested important differences in the abilities measured by both batteries.

D
    D
    Thank you for doing this!

C
    OP Offline
    C
    I may be the only one contributing to this thread - lol! Feel free to add, though, if you've got anything.

Here are some more studies, though:

A Comparison of WISC-III and OLSAT-6 for the Identification of Gifted Students (http://cjs.sagepub.com/content/11/2/120.short)

The entire cohort of grade 3 students in a Canadian urban school board was screened in the school years 1991-1992,1992-1993 and 1993-1994 to identify gifted students. All 2,306 students look the Otis-Lennon School Abilities Test-6th Edition (OLSAT-6), after which 261 students also took the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children-3rd Edition (WISC-III). Based on the WISC-III scores, 2.3% of the population were identified as gifted at the 98th percentile or higher, whereas 2.6% scored at the 97th percentile or higher and 3.7% at the 96th percentile or higher. An equivalent number of boys and girls were identified as gifted with WISC-III. In contrast, using the OLSAT-6 alone, only 1.2% of the population would be identified as gifted at the 98th percentile or higher, 1.7% would be identified at the 97th percentile or higher, and 2.2% would be identified at the 96th percentile or higher. The correlation between WISC-III and OLSAT-6 for students scoring at the 98th percentile or higher on the WISC-III was .39 in this small sample of students having a restricted range of scores on both tests. Discrepancies between WISC-III Verbal and Performance IQ scores and between OLSAT-6 Verbal and Nonverbal Scaled Scores for gifted students are presented. When used alone, the OLSAT-6 does not appear to be an effective screener for grade 3 students who will score in the gifted range on WISC-III.

Identifying Academically Gifted English-Language Learners Using Nonverbal Tests: A Comparison of the Raven, NNAT, and CogAT (http://gcq.sagepub.com/content/52/4/275.short) - this may not apply to many of our kids, but is interesting none the less.

In this study, the authors compare the validity of three nonverbal tests for the purpose of identifying academically gifted English-language learners (ELLs). Participants were 1,198 elementary children (approximately 40% ELLs). All were administered the Raven Standard Progressive Matrices (Raven), the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT), and Form 6 of the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT). Results show that the U.S. national norms for the Raven substantially overestimate the number of high-scoring children; that because of errors in norming, the NNAT overestimates the number of both high-scoring and low-scoring children; that primary-level ELL children score especially poorly on the NNAT; that the standard error of measurement was twice as large for the NNAT as for the Raven or the CogAT; that ELL children scored .5 to .67 standard deviations lower than non-ELL children on the three nonverbal tests; and that none of the nonverbal tests predict achievement for ELL students very well.

D
    D
    I have nothing. But I have to get my ducks in a row for dd6. I anticipate this being an issue.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    To be fair, I do believe that there are a number of studies that show that the verbal and quantitative scales on the CogAT are good predictors of achievement in those domains and the nonverbal is less of a predictor of achievement. I'll edit to post links to some later.

Here's my hypothesis, though: I believe that the verbal and quantitative measures on the CogAT (the group ability test with which I am most familiar, b/c it is used extensively locally to me), are measuring exposure, knowledge, and achievement in those domains rather than ability in those domains. The non-verbal part, OTOH, which tends to be less considered by schools in determining giftedness, I believe measures visual spatial and abstract reasoning abilities more than achievement and also correlates less with achievement b/c it is more indicative of a divergent thinker not a child who can learn and regurgitate standard material easily. I'd tend to think that the non-verbal part of the CogAT is a better indication of giftedness as I define it which includes ability to create new knowledge and see connections and creative solutions more than repeat back knowledge that someone else has created.

Not really a study, but an author who tends to agree:

Increasing Minority Children’s Participation in Gifted Classes Using the NNAT: A Response to Lohman (http://gcq.sagepub.com/content/49/1/29.short) - keep in mind that this guy is the author of the NNAT as Lohman, who wrote the original critique of the NNAT as compared to the CogAT (above) is the author of the CogAT.
    In a previous article, we (Naglieri & Ford, 2003) provided evidence from a large-scale study that similar proportions of White, Black, and Hispanic children would be identified as gifted using the Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test (NNAT; Naglieri, 1997). Lohman (2005) has taken issue with our conclusions and our methods. We provide several responses to his arguments and make five important points. First, we take the position that underrepresentation of minority children in classes for the gifted is a serious problem that must be remedied. Second, traditional measures of ability that include verbal and quantitative tests pose particular problems to less-advantaged children who may be intelligent, but lack verbal and math knowledge. Third, we argue that the CogAT verbal and quantitative tests of “ability” correlate higher with the ITBS “achievement” tests than the CogAT nonverbal tests of ability because of the similarity of skills needed to answer the items on both the ITBS and the CogAT. Fourth, we reject an emphasis on “academically gifted” children that excludes the identification of “intellectually gifted” children who happen to have poor academic skills. Fifth, we request that critics of the NNAT provide evidence of the magnitude of race and ethnic differences, as well as the likely effect on representation of minorities using whatever alternatives they propose.
    emphasis mine

This gets interesting here b/c Lohman, the author of the CogAT, has written extensively on his belief that ability and achievement are not separate constructs. I have to admit that I tend to disagree in that I've seen high ability people who are not high achievers and the reverse. I wonder if his thought process leads toward beliefs more in line with the current "talent development" model that the NAGC, for instance, embraces which requires high achievement and motivation to be considered "gifted."

For instance, here's a newsletter on the CogAT in which Lohman writes,

Ability tests are perhaps best understood as achievement tests of a special sort. Conversely, achievement tests may be seen as ability tests of a special sort.

and

The individual believes that ability tests measure (or ought to measure) innate potential. This means that culture, education, personal experience, and motivation should not influence scores. Similarly, achievement tests measure (or ought to measure) only knowledge and skills learned in school...
    All abilities—from those required by the simplest reaction-time task to the most complex problem-solving task—respond to practice and training...
    all abilities are developed...
    If all abilities are achievements and all thinking is rooted in knowledge, then it makes little sense to talk about abilities and achievements as if they were qualitatively different (Snow, 1980). Rather, many who study individual differences see a single space of developed competencies or abilities (Humphreys, 1981; Cronbach, 1990; Carroll, 1993; Horn & Noll, 1997). Some
    develop primarily through formal schooling, others through out-of-school experiences common to most children in a given culture, and still others through experiences that are unique to the individual.
    http://155.44.225.10/products/group/cogat6/pdfs/newsletters/CS_vol4_summer05.pdf

I do agree with him in some areas, for instance,

Research on academic learning shows that the best predictors of subsequent learning in a domain are (1) current achievement in that subject area, (2) the ability to reason in the symbol systems of that domain, (3) interest in that subject area, and (4) the willingness to persist in order to attain excellence
    however I am not ready to say that we just call high achievement and high intelligence the same thing.

Thoughts?

eta: to drag another person into this, I was at the Mensa World Gathering years ago and attending a talk by Deborah Ruf about interpreting IQ tests. One of the audience members asked her about improving one's intelligence or IQ through practice or training. Her response (I'm not quoting, just paraphrasing what I recall) was that you can increase your IQ test score by practicing the tasks on the test, but not your actual IQ or intelligence.

These seem to be totally divergent beliefs on intelligence, no?

Last edited by Cricket2; 05/22/13 08:23 AM.
    T
    T
    Cricket! Thanks! Very good information. Your quotes/research does tease out the achievement/intelligence paradigm of these instruments, and those who utilize them.

I think, in general, these instruments are very sensitive to environment and ability of person administrating. I wish that were better teased out!

W
    W
    In NYC they use the OLSAT, or did, for gifted programs because it is easy and cheap to administer and fair for those who cannot pay for IQ tests. I was astounded that it showed less gifted in the group in the Canadian study since so many kids score above 97th percentile in NYC.

I disagree with Ruf's view. They have shown that IQ points increase with string instrument study. They got 6-7 IQ points from one to two years of string instrument study and it was sustained and increased math scores.

Now you can be born with advantage, like being a poorer athlete than Joe next door, but you take Parissi training, improve your technique and it stays with you. You become a better athlete than Joe next door. You can say you were not born with the natural DNA or maybe you just weren't using it properly. Does it make a difference if the scores improve and sustain?

C
    OP Offline
    C
    I believe, and hope that she'll forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, that Dr Ruf's thought was that you could improve the IQ score, perhaps even in a sustained manner with continued practice, but you would not be changing your actual functioning in day to day life in terms of your intellect and ability to do things that require that intellect.

One thing that I would like to see more of in these studies is a greater breakdown of the correlation between measures for various groups. I.e. - the overall correlation was x, but what was it for subgroups and, in those that so have that, how many false negatives were there vs false positives.

H
    H
    Wow what a treasure trove of research you've shared with us this morning!! I'm excited to wake up to all the work you have done here.

Thanks so much for opening this discussion. So many gifted programs strictly use the CogAt and refuse outside testing that we really do need a developed body of research to aid when scores vary so widely.

I get that schools want cheap testing and need to eliminate push parents who want little Suzy in whether she needs it or not... but yes, what about false positives?? And what of the Canadian study where HALF of the qualified applicants were not identified?

I also wonder if there is a predictable group or set of factors which correlates with being misidentified on CogAt. If THAT research were available it could allow schools to continue with their cheap group testing while offering the option for other testing to be used in that cohort only.

Makes we want to start a grad program in psych testing and start doing that research!

T
    T
    I don't really believe in "false positives."

I do think that what you get is a snapshot at the time. I think time of day , child's mood, child's feelings about the tester, the tester's competence all figure into how a child proceeds. I don't understand how a child could falsely score high. It would be sheer luck and guessing and fooling the tester (I am talking about individually administered tests). I do think that you can "improve" your score with knowledge of the test. I really don't think how you respond to a new structure of assessment should be a part of the test score.

My child took the SCAT with no preparation, and didn't get the score cut-off the 1st time. The second time (re-test), we went over the structure of the exam, and I answered a few questions, and he did practice questions. The next SCAT, his scores were good enough for the cut offs at 2 grade levels above the already above grade level test.

Last edited by teachermom7; 05/23/13 07:06 AM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM